It’s time for spring cleaning! Learn how to simplify your decor with 10 easy decluttering, organizational, and decorating tips. Print out a list of things you can get rid of right now.
Don’t you love that feeling you get when you step outside, close your eyes, and feel the warm sun on your face? There is something about Spring and first sunny-warm days that energize and inspire to make changes. So while you are making that list to spring clean, if your spaces are feeling a little heavy, cluttered, or dark, it may be time to simplify your home decor too.
10 Ways to Simplify Your Decor
1. Stick to 3-4 main colors in your interior spaces and keep all of the big pieces of furniture in your room neutral. Using soft neutrals with your wall colors, couches, dining set, and large area rugs will help showcase whatever color palette or style your into for the season.
Learn how to change a room style for cheap!
2. Don’t over-accessorize. They say less is more, and it is true here too! If you have been accumulating a lot of decor accessories or other things (shh! I won’t tell!) on your flat surfaces, try removing all of it and only putting back a few favorites. You can store the rest and switch it out again next season. If you don’t miss it after six months; sell, donate, or throw it away!
3. Make sure all of your necessities are organized and stored for easy access. Baskets and bins under the sofa or coffee table work great for games/puzzles/toys. A basket next to the sofa, chair, or fireplace can hold your throw blankets. If there are items used daily, make sure they are within an easy reach and have a “home” that’s conveniently placed in the space you use them the most.
4. Pull your furniture away from the wall to let the space breathe. Even if you don’t have space to place your couch in the center of the room, leaving 3 to 4 inches between the wall and furniture will make a difference! You may also be surprised at how much space you will have with a cozier arrangement.
5. If you have dark curtain panels or heavy window treatments that are outdated, replace them with a neutral sheer or cotton panel. Also, make sure your curtains are hung tall (3-4 inches from the ceiling) and wide (4-6 inches from each side of the window or door). They should touch the floor or right below the window sill. If you are keeping dark curtains closed for privacy, hang a double curtain rod and attach sheer curtains behind so you can still have natural light but not worry about peepers.
6. Organize your bookcases and shelves. Get rid of any unread books (that are months old) and books that you don’t plan to reread. Use these easy steps for styling a bookcase. Make sure there is empty space remaining on each shelf to give visual rest.
7. Put all of your small kitchen appliances away under the cabinets or in the pantry. If you need smaller items to stay out, coral them on a cake stand or large dish/tray.
8. In the bedroom, store away winter bedding or extra blankets and pillows until next season. Need extra storage space in your room? Try using a storage ottoman at the foot of the bed (or baskets/bins under a bench).
9. Gather your bedside necessities in a tray. Use larger pieces of furniture like a desk or small dresser, or tuck a basket underneath a leggy bedside table if you need additional space for storage.
10. To get a kick start on decluttering, grab a box and get rid of these items in each room right now! Subscribe and print out the list as a PDF HERE.
Follow along Instagram stories “Spring Cleaning Tips” for decluttering, organizing, and pretty storage solutions. Use these tips to simplify your decor on a weekend and enjoy spring to its fullest! And check out A Guide to Spring Decluttering and Decorating. Do you have any tips to add? Which one was your favorite? Leave me a comment and let’s chat.