Chic and practical solutions for hiding remote controls on your coffee table and where to find them. Plus hand-picked store options.
Hey there fellow decorator! If you are anything like me, you know the quest for beautiful and organized spaces never ends. And in the living room, loos remotes are a major pet peeve.
Those pesky gadgets are always hidden in the cushions or misplaced on a random shelf or table top. Designating a spot for them was a must and of course it had to be stylish.
As I was changing up the living room side tables and coffee table after a holiday, I took advantage of the situation to create more beautiful storage for unsightly everyday items. My first mission was to find a couple of boxes that the remotes could fit in.
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone for 19 years. I perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces for over fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges! Our family of four lived in some of the most beautiful coastal towns in the US and Japan which have influenced my colorful and global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home in Fort Worth.
Chic and Practical Remote Control Storage Ideas
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
I went around the house to look for pretty storage containers and decided on a beautiful wood box I had found at a local import store. Luckily, it was sitting empty in our bedroom.
And then I grabbed a burled wood design jewelry box that was in our laundry room but again, empty. I arranged them on the coffee table with other decor pieces.
The two wooden boxes that were the perfect size for both of our remotes.
When looking for the perfect size container for your remotes or game controllers, make sure to check discount stores like TJMax and thrift or antique stores.
But first, shop your house! You might surprise yourself with a discovery that’s perfect for remotes.
Search for jewelry boxes, decorative storage containers, and antique cigar boxes. Boxes with textures like wood or woven material and pretty patterns are also options.
Consider using multiple pretty containers if you have multiple remotes (like I did) or a large basket or tray to keep them organized on your coffee table.
Shopping Ideas for Remote Control Storage
You can see below that our coffee table has a large tray to hold books, decor, and a wood box for the tv remote. The other side of the table displays an aloe and a pretty box just the right size for a gaming remote.
Update: Here’s how it looked in our next two homes! The same two boxes but on different coffee tables/ottoman.
Additional Remote Control Organizer Ideas
(and creative remote control storage)
- Purchase a decorative remote control caddy: Look at home decor stores or online retailers like Amazon to find a variety of storage solutions that are actually made for remotes! Look for a style in leather, wood, and other material that goes with your other home decor.
- Find a coffee table with hidden compartments: Look for a coffee table with built in drawers, shelves, or other hidden compartments to neatly store remote controls. Place them in a basket or bin to conceal on a shelf below the coffee table.
- Use a tray with a lid: Take note of your remote control sizes and look for a tray or container with a lid at your favorite home decor store. Thrifts stores, garage and estate sales, and antique malls are good places to find something more unique and with character.
- Shop on Etsy and other handmade stores: Find a custom made solution for your remotes.
Spring Updates in Our New Rental!
I placed a pencil box on a sofa side table and potted a grocery store plant in a beautiful used candle holder. A couple of “dollar” store trinkets update the vignette for Spring.
Our curtains in the living room are another pet peeve. We have Japanese rods on all of our windows and doors so I wasn’t able to use my American style curtains and rods that I brought halfway around the world. Ha! (The movers laughed too!)
We needed twelve curtains for our living area so I found inexpensive sheers at a local store. I decided to knot them at the bottom because the length was too short and I wanted to let in all of the glorious sunlight that comes with living in Okinawa!
I like the casualness of this look and think it says that we’re not too serious around here. 😉
The room is feeling very tropical which is totally appropriate for our Okinawan rental. Now if only we had sub-tropical temperatures this island is known for!
You can find all the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter on this page! It also includes seasonal printables and checklists and worksheets for Spring decluttering and organizing.
Keeping your remotes organized doesn’t have to be a chore! With a little creative thinking, shopping the house or a store, there’s a solution for everyone.
Enjoy a clean and organized living room without the clutter of remotes.
Have a lovely week friends,
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern,…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do…