Recycle a family heirloom or thrift store crystal cup into a DIY air plant terrarium for an easy and beautiful gift idea.
Are you looking for a meaningful gift for a family member or dear friend? I have been holding on to five solo crystal punch cups from my grandmother for a few years now.
I knew that I wanted to use them for gift ideas to family members that would find them special. After coming up with a few ideas, I finally decided on upcycling them into air plant terrariums.
Air Plant in Terrarium
Welcome back to A Very Global Christmas series where my good friend Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living and I share twelve days of globally inspired holidays every year!
We are on day six with a DIY gift theme and I’m excited to finally gift beautiful crystal punch cups inherited from my grandmother to family members who will appreciate them!
I have a complete punch bowl and cup set from grandma already so these five single cups were perfect for repurposing. You can find beautiful crystal containers at thrift stores, estate sales, and garage sales.
The DIY air plant terrarium could easily be made out of a votive candle holder, china cup, or small bowl too.
How to Create an Air Plant Terrarium Gift
- A glass container
- Gravel or sand
- Moss and decorative rocks
- Small air plants (Tillandsia)
- Care guide
Air plants are easy to care for and don’t require soil which makes them perfect to display in a clear container like a crystal cup. First, you’ll want to add an arid filler at the bottom like sand or small rocks. I took a handful of pebbles from our garden for this task.
I think red or pink sand or black gravel would be striking with the air plant and crystal but I didn’t have any luck at finding anything last minute.
You can place more decorative natural elements like moss and a bigger rock on top of the filler. I really like the look of reindeer moss and pink rocks together so I added a little bit to each punch glass.
Place a small air plant right on top or tuck it into the side of the moss or sand for an interesting arrangement. I selected five different air plants with different colors for a variety.
I’m really excited to gift these to my mother, sisters, and cousin. I’m also saving one for myself. 🙂 Make sure to include a care card with the air plant terrarium so the recipient knows how to take care of their special gift.
I added air plant instructions on a gift tag card and a mini Christmas ornament to each air plant terrarium gift.
You can click here if you would like to print and use this gift tag! Please do so for personal use only.
Air Plant Care
Soak air plants in a bath for 20 minutes to an hour. They can be finicky with chlorine so using day-old, rain, or filter water is best. Shake dry and lay in a bright area for a few hours to completely dry.
Air plants with wetness can develop root rot so never place a wet air plant back into its terrarium without the drying first. They prefer bright filtered light for a few hours a day like a windowsill.
Never plant your air plant in soil!
Time to go see what Stephanie made for her gift idea!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of sparkle because you’re about to dive into a world of DIY glam pumpkins today! Why Go Gold When I Paint Metallic Pumpkins? Gold isn’t just…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern, and beautiful designs and latest technology is really a doable project for anyone. You are probably wondering if you can cover your textured wall with…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you ever felt limited by the colors in your home decor, like a beautiful lamp that just doesn’t quite fit with your current style? You’re not…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do you wish there was a way to infuse personality and style into your living space without breaking the bank? If you’ve ever felt like your…