How to decorate with books on and off bookshelves. Find creative decorating tips for your reading material as pretty storage and styling tips.
I just love it when a reader has a decor or design question. One of regulars asked for tips on how to decorate with books on bookshelves and other places. If you’ve been here before you know that I LOVE using them in my decor and vignettes. I put together some of my favorite examples and would love to hear if you have any more ideas!
How to Decorate with Books and Styling Tips
1. Display books on your fireplace mantel. When using them as accessories, remove dust jackets to reveal book bindings, then stick to 3 or 4 colors to keep it looking harmonious. Try them stacked, upright, leaning, or a mix of all three.
2. Display neutral hardbound books mixed with small vignettes to balance out decor.
3. Color code them! This is one of my favorite ways to display books. If you are wanting to organize by type/topic, try organizing each shelf individually. For instance, keep warm colors on the right, cool on the left, and neutral in the middle. The end product will make the color coding vertical.
4. Use books to elevate a focal point or vignette. They are great for acting as a “base” for a special decor item.
5. Style your bookcase with accessories and books in the same color family.
6. Turn them around for neutral decor. This is good for paperback or unattractive books that need be kept around!
7. Large stacked books look great on bigger coffee tables, on tops of pianos, or unused formal dining room tables (use the space as a study/library).
8. Use them on your side tables and coffee tables to corral smaller decor accessories.
9. Display pretty books on a sofa table or buffet to add varying heights of decor.
10. Try stacking them on something more unconventional like a chair!
How do you use your books? Have you thought of creative ways to display them?