Learn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.
Birds of a feather stick together at least when they are covered with paper mache. Hey there friend! I have a fun DIY for you today. Paper mache birds are so cute and modern but often have a heavy price tag. So I created my own with items around my house. Check out how to make paper mache birds.
How to Make Paper Mache Birds
- First, as with any paper mache project, grab some paper. You can use newspaper, junk mail, or in my case, an IKEA catalog (don’t worry, I read it first!).
- Tear out some pages and wad/squish them up in your hand to form the body of the bird. I used two pages, you can use more or less to create a bird body size you are happy with.
- To form the head, use masking tape to create a bird head shape with a little point for the beak at one end of the wadded ball. (Who knew there was such potential for a little ball of wadded paper?)
For this bird size, use about 2/3rds of a page, folding it to create a long flat tail, and wrap it in masking tape.
- Next, attach that tail to the bird with some more tape.
The next items you will need are mod podge (50% water, 50% craft glue like Elmer’s works too), wire cutters and needle pliers for extra help, and wire. I used some wire that came in a framing kit. Make sure your wire gauge is thick enough to hold up your bird body.
- Snip off about an eight to 10-inch piece of wire to create the two legs and feet. I created three little toes, and thumb by looping the wire at the bottom.
- You have two choices at this point. Leave the wire exposed for cute-skinny legs and twist the toe loops to make them skinnier. Or use the extra wire to twist around each leg to make a thicker limb.
- Turn your little bird over and wrap a piece of tape underneath, position the legs, and secure with tape.
How to cover the birds with paper.
Again, use whatever paper you like. Newspaper or magazine pages are perfect if you plan on painting the birds. Use napkins, paper towels, or tissue paper if you want to keep the finish the same as the paper.
- Tear your paper into strips.
- Take a strip of paper, dip it into your glue/water mixture, and start wrapping your bird body.
- Keep adding layers to better form the body. I added extra for the belly and at the top of the legs. You can also curl your bird tail feathers under if you like.
The bird will probably not stand on its own again until the paper dries. You can leave the wire legs as is or wrap in tape and paper.
Spray paint or use craft paint to customize your birds colors.
And that’s it! Just shop your house for supplies and you’ll have paper mache birds in no time!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to TryFind inspiration and tips for small ensuite bathroom ideas with current trends mixed with classic designs for this ORC update. I’m sure you and I have both dreamed of having … Read More about Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to Try
- How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom DesignDo you struggle with what to do with your small ensuite design? Follow me as I transform a little bathroom in 8 short weeks for the One Room Challenge. One … Read More about How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom Design
- Easy Summer Bedroom Decorating with Green and BlueFind inspiration for bedroom decorating with green and blue accents in light hues with a maximalist style for summer. Have you ever finished decorating a room and then tweaked it … Read More about Easy Summer Bedroom Decorating with Green and Blue
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes