The New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update.
Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. The month-long challenge is almost over and paint color decisions needed to be made. Ha! I finally decided on going with option 3 from my inspiration post with the tamest color palette. I think it’s the best decision to appeal to more buyers if we sell this summer although I would have liked to use more colors.
Blue and White Laundry Room Update
Welcome back to the New Year, New Room Refresh hosted by Casa Watkins Living. Eight of us bloggers are making over a room in four short weeks which makes next Tuesday the final reveal! I did my best to use things I had to update our laundry room and very pleased with the outcome.
The challenge started with a few inspiration pictures and color options the first week and then an easy DIY shelf to go behind the washer and dryer last week. I thought the blue paint from our son’s room would be a great match with the leftover wallpaper but it was too green.
You can find all of the articles and reveal below:
- Laundry room plans and ideas on a budget
- DIY shelf for behind a top load washer and dryer
- Wallpaper accent wall and paint (you are here)
- The Laundry Room Reveal
How I Added Blue to our Laundry Room
I had a sample of Behr paint called Bluebird and used it to tint Sherwin Williams Alabaster white. It turned out so dreamy! Very close to the wallpaper and what I consider to be a French blue.
I tested it on the cabinets before painting all of the cabinets and the DIY shelf. Only start with a little paint if you try tinting paint at home. You’ll be surprised at how dark tinted-white paint can look on the actual surface you want to paint, especially next to white.
Painting blue over pink looked like cotton candy and not very appealing! But it got better. 😉
Our cabinet doors and hinges are original to the house so I painted over the bent-old hinges to help camouflage the imperfections. I had tried last year to replace them but wasn’t successful in finding the correct size. Left-over gold pulls from my bathroom makeover gave the out-dated cabinets an additional boost of modern style.
The leftover wallpaper is from Milton and King called Sarah Annie. It took under 20 minutes to cut to size and install between the cabinets and shelf. The rest of the room was painted with the same SW Alabaster white that is in our living room.
After I paint the kitchen and hallway, I will have painted every wall (and some ceilings) in our house. Wow!
So here’s the million-dollar question for this week. What should I do with the wall above the cabinets?
- a) Install wallpaper above the cabinets
- b) Paint that section blue to match the cabinets
- c) Leave it white like the rest of the walls
(See image below.)
I can’t wait to see what progress the other participants have made. Let’s go check them out!
- A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for FallFind simple decorating ideas for Fall by repurposing what you have in this colorful and eclectic home tour with maximalist style. The first official day of Fall is just around … Read More about A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for Fall
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateAn One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and a custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art