The New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update.
Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. The month-long challenge is almost over and paint color decisions needed to be made. Ha! I finally decided on going with option 3 from my inspiration post with the tamest color palette. I think it’s the best decision to appeal to more buyers if we sell this summer although I would have liked to use more colors.
Blue and White Laundry Room Update
Welcome back to the New Year, New Room Refresh hosted by Casa Watkins Living. Eight of us bloggers are making over a room in four short weeks which makes next Tuesday the final reveal! I did my best to use things I had to update our laundry room and very pleased with the outcome.
The challenge started with a few inspiration pictures and color options the first week and then an easy DIY shelf to go behind the washer and dryer last week. I thought the blue paint from our son’s room would be a great match with the leftover wallpaper but it was too green.
You can find all of the articles and reveal below:
- Laundry room plans and ideas on a budget
- DIY shelf for behind a top load washer and dryer
- Wallpaper accent wall and paint (you are here)
- The Laundry Room Reveal
How I Added Blue to our Laundry Room
I had a sample of Behr paint called Bluebird and used it to tint Sherwin Williams Alabaster white. It turned out so dreamy! Very close to the wallpaper and what I consider to be a French blue.
I tested it on the cabinets before painting all of the cabinets and the DIY shelf. Only start with a little paint if you try tinting paint at home. You’ll be surprised at how dark tinted-white paint can look on the actual surface you want to paint, especially next to white.
Painting blue over pink looked like cotton candy and not very appealing! But it got better. 😉
Our cabinet doors and hinges are original to the house so I painted over the bent-old hinges to help camouflage the imperfections. I had tried last year to replace them but wasn’t successful in finding the correct size. Left-over gold pulls from my bathroom makeover gave the out-dated cabinets an additional boost of modern style.
The leftover wallpaper is from Milton and King called Sarah Annie. It took under 20 minutes to cut to size and install between the cabinets and shelf. The rest of the room was painted with the same SW Alabaster white that is in our living room.
After I paint the kitchen and hallway, I will have painted every wall (and some ceilings) in our house. Wow!
So here’s the million-dollar question for this week. What should I do with the wall above the cabinets?
- a) Install wallpaper above the cabinets
- b) Paint that section blue to match the cabinets
- c) Leave it white like the rest of the walls
(See image below.)
I can’t wait to see what progress the other participants have made. Let’s go check them out!
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting