Kid-friendly closet organization ideas with inexpensive storage solutions that are perfect for renters. Help your kids keep rooms neat and tidy.
We have made a big change! A new country, language, and concrete rental home built to withstand typhoons in beautiful Okinawa. I didn’t have a lot to go on for storage and organization for our two kids with only government-issued furniture. But I made it work with limited resources and funds.
Kid-Friendly Closet Organization Tips
These solutions are perfect for renters!
I spent around $55 on a bookcase, 3-drawer storage unit, and a couple of “S” hooks.
- The important thing is to have everyday toys and items within easy reach. Sunday dresses are hung up high but everyday clothes with labels are neatly organized in a dresser with pjs and play clothes in the dresser’s bottom drawers.
- Only house toys and items in the bedroom that are easy for a young child to pick up. Leave art supplies and other adult assisted play things out of reach or in a different room like the living area.
Two plastic pink crates hold stuff animals. The inexpensive 3-drawer storage unit I found was perfect for all my daughter’s dollhouse and baby doll items.
- Use a cheap bookcase for optimal storage in a rental. I can’t tell you how valuable a bookcase is in a closet with no or few shelves in a small bedroom. Being able to use vertical space is a must for keeping a neat and tidy room.
Puzzles and games are kept on the high shelves with books on the lower-easy to reach shelves. The small bedroom still has plenty of play space with this easy storage solution. I used a bookcase in my son’s closet as well.
The “S” hooks help with additional vertical storage. They are great for extra bags, other storage items, and toys with a handle.
Of course, small bedrooms in Japan are pretty common! 😉 It’s so nice that they are light and airy. Here’s how I decorated my daughter’s room with renter-friendly DIYs.
For about $55 on clever solutions, I managed to provide easy storage for my daughter to keep her things organized in our Okinawan rental. I also love these 25 toy organizer ideas from Country Living for more permanent solutions.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall PaintSee how easy it is to dramatically change a space with fresh white and black wall paint in the bathroom in this One Room Challenge update. *This is a sponsored … Read More about An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall Paint
- Making Over a Bathroom on a BudgetFind ideas for updating a bathroom on a budget with DIYs that you can do yourself and my One Room Challenge week 2 progress. *This is a sponsored post with … Read More about Making Over a Bathroom on a Budget
- How to Divide a Living Room and Dining Room Combo EasilyFind easy decorating tips for how to divide a living room and dining room combo with floor, wall, and furniture ideas. *This post contains gifted products and affiliate links to … Read More about How to Divide a Living Room and Dining Room Combo Easily
- Beautiful Ideas for a Moody and Eclectic BathroomSee how I’m transforming our small space into a colorful and eclectic bathroom with moody vibes and a gallery wall for the One Room Challenge. *This post contains affiliate links … Read More about Beautiful Ideas for a Moody and Eclectic Bathroom
- Make a Beautiful DIY Cane Cabinet in 2 Easy StepsTransform a storage piece into a beautiful cane cabinet with this easy DIY using thrifted or IKEA furniture and web caning. Sometimes it is fun to go with a trend … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Cane Cabinet in 2 Easy Steps