Kid-friendly closet organization ideas with inexpensive storage solutions that are perfect for renters. Help your kids keep rooms neat and tidy.
We have made a big change! A new country, language, and concrete rental home built to withstand typhoons in beautiful Okinawa. I didn’t have a lot to go on for storage and organization for our two kids with only government-issued furniture. But I made it work with limited resources and funds.
Kid-Friendly Closet Organization Tips
These solutions are perfect for renters!
I spent around $55 on a bookcase, 3-drawer storage unit, and a couple of “S” hooks.
- The important thing is to have everyday toys and items within easy reach. Sunday dresses are hung up high but everyday clothes with labels are neatly organized in a dresser with pjs and play clothes in the dresser’s bottom drawers.
- Only house toys and items in the bedroom that are easy for a young child to pick up. Leave art supplies and other adult assisted play things out of reach or in a different room like the living area.
Two plastic pink crates hold stuff animals. The inexpensive 3-drawer storage unit I found was perfect for all my daughter’s dollhouse and baby doll items.
- Use a cheap bookcase for optimal storage in a rental. I can’t tell you how valuable a bookcase is in a closet with no or few shelves in a small bedroom. Being able to use vertical space is a must for keeping a neat and tidy room.
Puzzles and games are kept on the high shelves with books on the lower-easy to reach shelves. The small bedroom still has plenty of play space with this easy storage solution. I used a bookcase in my son’s closet as well.
The “S” hooks help with additional vertical storage. They are great for extra bags, other storage items, and toys with a handle.
Of course, small bedrooms in Japan are pretty common! 😉 It’s so nice that they are light and airy. Here’s how I decorated my daughter’s room with renter-friendly DIYs.
For about $55 on clever solutions, I managed to provide easy storage for my daughter to keep her things organized in our Okinawan rental. I also love these 25 toy organizer ideas from Country Living for more permanent solutions.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- DIY a German Smear Mortar Wash for Under $10Try this easy and inexpensive DIY tutorial to achieve a german schmear mortar wash on a stone or brick fireplace for just a few dollars! Welcome back to the One…
- Organic Modern Living Room Reveal and How to Replicate the Key ElementsCheck out how our organic modern living room makeover, learn what the style is, and see how to create the look in your home. This post contains sponsored and affiliate…
- An Easy DIY Textured Paint Vase and Planter Makeover IdeaGive your ceramic vases and planters an easy makeover with DIY textured paint to make them look like pottery! I’m in the middle of giving my living room a modern…
- Try this Easy and Modern Fireplace Facelift for a Floating MantelCheck out this before-and-after fireplace facelift for a floating mantel to give it a beautiful modern makeover on a budget. Are you looking for a way to beautify your floating…
- 10 Original Free Printable Chanel Wall ArtAdd a little inspiration to your home and closet with 10 free printable Chanel wall art downloads in neutral, pink, and blue hues. Are you looking for free Chanel wall…