Kid-friendly closet organization ideas with inexpensive storage solutions that are perfect for renters. Help your kids keep rooms neat and tidy.
We have made a big change! A new country, language, and concrete rental home built to withstand typhoons in beautiful Okinawa. I didn’t have a lot to go on for storage and organization for our two kids with only government-issued furniture. But I made it work with limited resources and funds.
Kid-Friendly Closet Organization Tips
These solutions are perfect for renters!
I spent around $55 on a bookcase, 3-drawer storage unit, and a couple of “S” hooks.
- The important thing is to have everyday toys and items within easy reach. Sunday dresses are hung up high but everyday clothes with labels are neatly organized in a dresser with pjs and play clothes in the dresser’s bottom drawers.
- Only house toys and items in the bedroom that are easy for a young child to pick up. Leave art supplies and other adult assisted play things out of reach or in a different room like the living area.
Two plastic pink crates hold stuff animals. The inexpensive 3-drawer storage unit I found was perfect for all my daughter’s dollhouse and baby doll items.
- Use a cheap bookcase for optimal storage in a rental. I can’t tell you how valuable a bookcase is in a closet with no or few shelves in a small bedroom. Being able to use vertical space is a must for keeping a neat and tidy room.
Puzzles and games are kept on the high shelves with books on the lower-easy to reach shelves. The small bedroom still has plenty of play space with this easy storage solution. I used a bookcase in my son’s closet as well.
The “S” hooks help with additional vertical storage. They are great for extra bags, other storage items, and toys with a handle.
Of course, small bedrooms in Japan are pretty common! 😉 It’s so nice that they are light and airy. Here’s how I decorated my daughter’s room with renter-friendly DIYs.
For about $55 on clever solutions, I managed to provide easy storage for my daughter to keep her things organized in our Okinawan rental. I also love these 25 toy organizer ideas from Country Living for more permanent solutions.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to TryFind inspiration and tips for small ensuite bathroom ideas with current trends mixed with classic designs for this ORC update. I’m sure you and I have both dreamed of having … Read More about Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to Try
- How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom DesignDo you struggle with what to do with your small ensuite design? Follow me as I transform a little bathroom in 8 short weeks for the One Room Challenge. One … Read More about How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom Design
- Easy Summer Bedroom Decorating with Green and BlueFind inspiration for bedroom decorating with green and blue accents in light hues with a maximalist style for summer. Have you ever finished decorating a room and then tweaked it … Read More about Easy Summer Bedroom Decorating with Green and Blue
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes