Kid-friendly closet organization ideas with inexpensive storage solutions that are perfect for renters. Help your kids keep rooms neat and tidy.
We have made a big change! A new country, language, and concrete rental home built to withstand typhoons in beautiful Okinawa. I didn’t have a lot to go on for storage and organization for our two kids with only government-issued furniture. But I made it work with limited resources and funds.
Kid-Friendly Closet Organization Tips
These solutions are perfect for renters!
I spent around $55 on a bookcase, 3-drawer storage unit, and a couple of “S” hooks.
- The important thing is to have everyday toys and items within easy reach. Sunday dresses are hung up high but everyday clothes with labels are neatly organized in a dresser with pjs and play clothes in the dresser’s bottom drawers.
- Only house toys and items in the bedroom that are easy for a young child to pick up. Leave art supplies and other adult assisted play things out of reach or in a different room like the living area.
Two plastic pink crates hold stuff animals. The inexpensive 3-drawer storage unit I found was perfect for all my daughter’s dollhouse and baby doll items.
- Use a cheap bookcase for optimal storage in a rental. I can’t tell you how valuable a bookcase is in a closet with no or few shelves in a small bedroom. Being able to use vertical space is a must for keeping a neat and tidy room.
Puzzles and games are kept on the high shelves with books on the lower-easy to reach shelves. The small bedroom still has plenty of play space with this easy storage solution. I used a bookcase in my son’s closet as well.
The “S” hooks help with additional vertical storage. They are great for extra bags, other storage items, and toys with a handle.
Of course, small bedrooms in Japan are pretty common! 😉 It’s so nice that they are light and airy. Here’s how I decorated my daughter’s room with renter-friendly DIYs.
For about $55 on clever solutions, I managed to provide easy storage for my daughter to keep her things organized in our Okinawan rental. I also love these 25 toy organizer ideas from Country Living for more permanent solutions.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning LookFind out how easy it is to add trim to curtains and other simple tips for making store-bought curtains look high-end and custom! This post is sponsored by SmithHonig and … Read More about How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning Look
- A Beautiful and Quick DIY Laundry Room MakeoverHow a small and dark laundry room was transformed in two days using materials I already had on hand to create a beautiful and elegant space. If you had four … Read More about A Beautiful and Quick DIY Laundry Room Makeover
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates