Find tips for colorful Christmas decorating in a small room that make a big impact with little effort. Part of A Very Global Christmas.
Whether it is a small living room, dining room, bedroom, or office, here are a few ways to easily infuse colorful traditional Christmas decor without taking up too much space.
Cozy Colorful Christmas Decorating Ideas
Seasons greetings my friend and welcome to A Very Global Christmas Day 11. If you are new here, this is an annual series that my friend Casa Watkins Living and I do every year featuring twelve days of globally inspired decorating ideas, DIYs, recipes, printables, and more.
Head over to the Global Decorating Ideas page to see all of this year and past years in one spot. It is so fun to come up with a new global theme or idea to create unique holiday decor every year often by repurposing to refreshing what we already have.
I’ve been all into flora, pomegranates, and potpourri this year and started off with our main Christmas tree being covered in a garland effect of flowers and leaves. Two and half weeks later, our entire house is completely decorated and I just shared our living room and dining tablescape.
Today I’m sharing how I decorated my office which is a small windowless room with a maximalist feminine design. I decided to use colorful traditional decor and even saved a tree to be decorated on the traditional day of Christmas tree decorating-Thanksgiving which is very unusual in our house as a blogger. 🙂
Here are five ways I made this room feel festive and cozy without little effort.
- Hang bells, tassle, or other hanger on a knob.
Our office already has brass bells on one handle of a French door but my daughter added a DIY tinsel tree ornament hanger on the side. I love a small detail that adds so much interest! You can add a hanger to a doorknob, cabinet pull, or lamp for a fun holiday accessory.
- Create a focal point with ponsiettas.
This readily available plant or faux plant is inexpensive and looks great in red and white. Try displaying a pair on a desk, dresser, tv stand, or buffet table for a festive touch.
- Elevate a small Christmas tree on an accent table.
When a room is too small for a regular size tree, display a 2-4 ft prelit Christmas tree on a side or accent table. Don’t forget to add a mini tree skirt as I did with an imported table runner from Thailand to add a global style.
This little tree is a new edition that my daughter was able to decorate however she liked with our ornaments. We have little china dolls and lots of angel ornaments that were gifted to me by my grandmother and piano teacher in addition to a mix of vintage style ornaments and more modern ball ornaments.
- Decorate with holiday books.
Books are my number one favorite thing to decorate with and we have quite the collection of Christmas decorating and storybooks that has grown over the years. What better spot to sit and read than by the twinkling of Christmas lights in a cozy small space.
Stack the books in a basket and display them under an open table or chair or on top of the table if you have the space. Or a magazine or book caddy will allow you to stylishly display them on the floor.
Now that the office is all decked out for the holidays, my kids and I love sitting in the two wingback chairs for reading, homework, or playing games. I recently sold a love seat that is usually in the office to make more space for the holidays.
The pair of blue chairs were my grandparents and usually sit in the living room where the Christmas tree is. Here is a peek into the office from the living area.
I hope these quick decorating ideas help you with your small rooms. What favorite tips do you have for holiday decorating?
Make sure to stop by Casa Watkins Living for more decorating ideas as we start to wrap up this year’s series.
- What are Dado Rails and How to Use Them in the HallwayWhat is dado railing? Learn more about this common molding and a creative way on how to easily update a boring hallway. Howdy! Welcome back to the New Year New Room Refresh challenge hosted by my good friend Casa Watkins Living. Today marks week 3 of this one-month room makeover and I’m excited to share … Read More about What are Dado Rails and How to Use Them in the Hallway
- Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware IdeasOur hallways are getting a refresh this month and I’m narrowing down choices for blue hallway runners and light and hardware this week. Howdy! Welcome back to the New Year New Room Refresh hosted by Casa Watkins Living where 12 bloggers are making over a room in four short weeks. I had so much fun … Read More about Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware Ideas
- Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before PicturesCheck out what I have planned to turn a dark hallway into a colorful are gallery in just four weeks for the New Year New Room Refresh. Happy New Year! I can’t believe it is already time for another New Year New Room Refresh. This fun challenge is hosted by my dear friend Casa Watkins … Read More about Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before Pictures
- A Maximalist Holiday House Tour with Easy DIYsWelcome to our maximalist holiday house tour full of globally inspired DIYs, floral, fruit, and garland mixed with colorful room designs. Greetings friend! I’m thrilled to be joining my talented friends in sharing our Christmas home tours with you all week. This festive seasonal blog hop is hosted by Marty from A Stroll through Life … Read More about A Maximalist Holiday House Tour with Easy DIYs
- How to Make a Free Caroling Booklet with a Christmas Carols PDFPrint out your own free Christmas carols PDF and turn it into a caroling booklet with a beautiful cover and binding. Christmas Caroling has been around for centuries! Is there a more fun way to celebrate the holiday than singing favorite Christmas tunes with family and friends to spread joy and cheer? DIY Christmas Carols … Read More about How to Make a Free Caroling Booklet with a Christmas Carols PDF