See Our Elegantly Colorful Gallery Wall Hallway Makeover Before and After!
Welcome to a dramatic before and after transformation of a colorful gallery wall hallway with green and blue paint, brass, and plenty of art!
*This post is sponsored by two brands, Signature Hardware, and Mohawk Home, and may contain some affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You can read my full disclosure here.
Welcome to the final reveal of our New Year New Room Refresh Gallery Wall Hallway Makeover! This month-long challenge hosted by my dear friend Casa Watkins Living is where 12 bloggers take a room and refresh it in four weeks.
Scroll down to the bottom of this article to see the creative group of ladies participating.
A Blue and Green Gallery Wall Hallway Makeover
First, a quick introduction if you are new here. Howdy, I’m Kathy. My family and I moved around for 16 years with the military until my husband retired three years ago and we settled in Fort Worth, Texas in a single-story ranch-style home. I’ve been putting our international souvenirs to good use by infusing our home with a colorful global style ever since.
This is the seventh year for the New Year New Refresh and I have participated in every one. Check out my daughter’s Vintage Boho Bedroom makeover, how I turned a windowless office into the most amazing creative space with birds wallpaper and built-ins, and last year’s quick laundry room Parisian-inspired makeover using leftover materials.
The annual challenge is a fantastic way to occupy my time during the cold dreary days of January doing fun DIYs and socializing online with the other participants and I look forward to it every year.
Now let me catch you up to speed with the hallway. Here is what it looked like at the beginning of January. It was a sad place for wall hangings that didn’t have a home and recent drywall repair had made it even more of an eyesore. The only wall I had put effort into was the floor-to-ceiling gallery wall you see from the foyer.
I came up with a mood board after partnering with Signature Hardware and Mohawk Home. Browsing through their products was a second Christmas. I seriously swooned over these picks.
The following couple of weeks were improving the hallways with crown molding, chair rail, and accent trim. I then painted them two-toned with blue and green. All in all, it took 2 days of construction and 3 days of painting.
Here is the final reveal!
In the first part of the hallway, you can see from the front door and the open layout living areas. Holy cow! I can’t believe how different it looks now! I love love, love that I went for blue and green wall paint and had them touch each other instead of leaving a portion white or the chair rail white.
My husband thought I was crazy but he loves it too. It brings out all of the greens I have in our house and really is a perfect color palette for us.
The Japanese screen was a garage sale found in our neighborhood. After the owner learned we had lived in Japan, she gave it to me for a steal. I’m so glad we now have the wall space for it and the colors are really perfect. Check out the crane in the scene and the brass crane on my grandmother’s foyer cabinet in the pictures below. That was not planned. These magical things just happen!
Now that I’ve brought your attention to the brass figure let me show off the first of many hammered brass knobs that Signature Hardware gifted me. I’m still pinching myself that every single doorknob in our house is now this gorgeous hardware. Even though it is a smaller detail, they really make the house look carefully designed and high-end.
I was seriously impressed with the quality and ease of installation for the new knob sets. This particular one is called Traeger in Satin Brass. They also gifted a new light fixture for the hallway. The modern shape and brighter fixture (3 light bubs!) with new paint, art, and rugs really do wonders for the dark hallway.
On the floors, are three matching rug runners with pads from Mohawk Home. Use code MHSOCIAL to get one 30% off right now! They have a beautiful pattern in perfect hues to compliment the hallway colors and art and feel incredibly soft underfoot. The rug pads are amazing with a double-sided surface for hard or carpet flooring.
We have many Mohawk Rugs in our home and I can testify to their durability, quality, feel, and style. For a family of four with a dog, they are a wonderful solution to highly trafficked floors and are found at many popular retailers.
Okay, now for a look at the long hallway! I would love to be your personal docent and tell you all about each art piece if you were here. In a nutshell, almost every painting came from traveling or estate sales.
Here is the view from my son’s bedroom down the hall to the master bedroom. The guest bathroom is on the right and my daughter’s room is on the left. There are two little linen cupboards and an additional closet at the end.
Get ready for a lot of art and pictures!
Here is a view from my daughter’s room. More blues and greens! A quick gallery wall tip: Take the space between door frames/openings and create a mini gallery using two rows of art hangings.
Another beautiful product from Signature Hardware is this solid brass cabinet pull. There are two for the linen cabinet doors.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
It’s so much fun to see what was accomplished in four weeks, or rather 5 days!
Sand the walls and repair any cracks Install crown molding and extra trim Install chair rail and extra trim Caulk, fill holes Paint doors and molding white Touch up ceiling paint Paint upper walls green Paint lower walls a lighter tint of green/blue Install new light fixture Install new door hardware Hang art Place rugs
Make sure to visit all of the amazing reveals below!
- Make a Beautiful DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies I already have. So pull out your fairy lights and I will share how to make flower lights in minutes! DIY Flower Garland Lights Welcome…
- Try a Beautiful and Easy DIY Moss Wreath for SpringLearn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath! You are in the right place friend if you would rather make beautiful Spring decor rather than put out generic store-bought home decor or spend $$$ on designer decor. It’s much more fun…
- How to Make an Elegant Spring Basket Wreath with Repurposed ItemsCreate an elegant basket wreath by repurposing baskets and faux floral stems you already have. Step by step instructions and video included. I’m so giddy about today’s basket wreath. Threshing baskets are so easy to come by and you probably have one or two around the house. With a little creative imagination, you can transform…
- Simple Tips for Decorating with Fake Flowers for SpringAdd a splash of seasonal decor to your home by decorating with fake flowers that look real and you can use them year after year! Artificial flowers have come a long way, so I decided to use them again in our early Spring home tour this year while I’m waiting for our garden to bloom….
- A Simple Formula for Mixing Metals in the Bathroom BeautifullyRules are made to be broken! Get creative with decorating by following easy tips for mixing metals in the bathroom tastefully. You may be wondering if you can mix metals in a bathroom. Around here, we love to break out of traditional design rules to input our personal style with our favorite decor and design…
This looks amazing. Love everything and the rugs give it such a warm feel. Can’t wait to see it in person.
Thank you so much!
Beautiful space! I love the colors and the rugs are perfect! I’m in NRH so you’re welcome to come over anytime and decorate here!
lol love it! Thanks so much Pat.