Use these simple decorating ideas for creating a beautiful space in your covered outdoor living areas. Enjoy an outside retreat while you are at home.
This post is sponsored by Wayfair. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Living and traveling all over Asia for four years gave us the chance to visit many beautiful gardens. Design ideas flowed from the serene landscapes and intimate Asian courtyards that I now infuse into our Fort Worth home. I’m excited to be partnering with Wayfair today to share our covered outdoor living spaces with easy decorating ideas that incorporate some of my favorite elements.
Decorating Ideas for Covered Outdoor Living Spaces
- Add a water feature. The tranquil sound of water is great to cover city noises. The easiest and quickest option is to add a plugin or solar-powered fountain. You can go zen to modern or traditional with the different styles, prices, and sizes available.
Finding a water feature for our space was on the top of my list. I picked out a traditional eclectic wall fountain from Wayfair that has a flat bottom so it can hang or sit. I plan on growing moss around it due to its moist environment. It sits on a piece of Okinawan (Japan) pine that we brought back to the states. The traditional fountain on the raw edge table fits our eclectic style perfectly.
- Create different zones. Use the full potential of your covered outdoor living spaces by arranging furniture into a couple of different areas. Having a place to eat and a place to relax is ideal. Opt for a bistro set for eating and a loveseat and small table for a sitting area if you have a small space. Otherwise a full outdoor dining set and living area are fantastic for encouraging family time and entertaining outdoors.
I was thrilled to have such a large covered patio space when we moved into our home about two years ago. The first thing I did was purchase an outdoor sofa which coincidentally is also from Wayfair. Its price and versatility made it the perfect piece to define a sitting area that frequently gets used for napping it’s so darn comfy! An outdoor area rug helps separate it from our dining area.
- Use a mix of furniture. This goes for any room inside or out. Use a mix of furniture for a well-designed and curated look. Mix old with new and different styles. Play around with neutrals but don’t be afraid to add pops of color with accent pillows, small tables, centerpieces, and rugs.
I mentioned we purchased a new outdoor sofa. To complete the living area I used a chair I found on clearance in a popular Japanese home store and a MCM style coffee table from a Dallas estate sale which is just a metal spool I spray painted gold with a marble top for $15. Thanks to Wayfair I was able to replace our old glass top patio table with a new gray wash live-edge solid wood dining table. It has a metal base and looks great with our existing chairs. I couldn’t be happier.
- Add a focal point. Whichever wall you see first when you step outside onto your patio or covered space is a good option for special treatment. It can be done with an outdoor fireplace, a large piece of outdoor art, or perhaps a potted garden. Think of filling the vertical space. Treating your outdoor living spaces like your indoor rooms will take your design up a notch!
The wall fountain was perfect for our focal point. I had the sofa on that wall but my husband helped me rearrange the furniture and it feels much more open this way. We can now enjoy a full view of the garden from the sofa and the featured wall from the sofa and dining area.
- Add green where you can. My favorite element in any outdoor space is plants. Look around your garden for stems that can be propagated or transplanted into pots or containers from your house if you don’t have space or budget for newly potted plants. Freshly clipped yard stems in a vase can add that special touch too. Shop sales and add pieces over time.
I used plants I already had by propagating two indoor plants that are perfect for a shaded patio during the warm months. I even potted some discovered unwanted English ivy growing in the garden. A couple more plants from inside will be happy out here until it gets cold again.
- Hang something from the ceiling and/or add lights. Don’t we all enjoy the twinkle of lights in the evening? String-patio lights are easy to come by but you can also try a candle chandelier, tiki torches, or opt for a combination.
Another Japanese thrift store find is a shell chandelier. The patio already had rope lights but I’m thinking about adding battery operated fairy lights to the shell hanging and plants for an even more magical evening ambiance.
- Don’t forget the walls! I know we usually don’t think to hang art or patio brick or siding because of outdoor elements but there are other outside friendly options. Having something over your outdoor sofa creates a cozy conversational area. Try a basket, metal art, wood art, or maybe just hanging plants to highlight your vertical space.
A thrifted threshing basket was the perfect size for above our seating area and was easy to hang with a brick hanger (no holes required). I have a few more painted baskets I might add in the future but I really love how our outdoor covered spaces feel right now.
Just two new pieces from Wayfair and some rearranging and decorating and our patio feels like a new space! Are you ready for outdoor living?
- 10 Gorgeous Modern Outdoor Fire Pits You Need to SeeGet ready for cooler temps and outside activities with these beautiful modern outdoor fire pits ideas for your outdoor space. I’m making sure we have multiple places to hang out … Read More about 10 Gorgeous Modern Outdoor Fire Pits You Need to See
- How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall QuicklyChange your room in an afternoon with a DIY painted arch accent wall and update a piece of furniture in the same color for a big impact! *This post is … Read More about How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall Quickly
- Brilliant Colors of Fall Home TourWelcome to our brilliant colors of Fall home tour where you’ll find colorful and eclectic seasonal decor with touches of autumn. Doesn’t the change of season excite you? It is … Read More about Brilliant Colors of Fall Home Tour
- Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood BoardA colorful and eclectic mood board showcasing top flooring trends using my favorite Carpet One Floor & Home products. This post is sponsored by Carpet One Floor & Home but … Read More about Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood Board
- How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins CenterpieceTransform dollar store pumpkins into a beautiful Copper Pumpkins centerpiece for Fall with this quick and easy DIY. Do you love decorating with dollar store items but wish you could … Read More about How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins Centerpiece