Hey there. It’s getting close to that time of year! While you start thinking about Spring cleaning or printing out that nifty checklist, let’s do a little housekeeping in the home decor department too. It’s the perfect time for a fresh start, trying something new, and to practice less is more.
Spring Cleaning: Decluttering Home Decor
Declutter by simplifying your home decor:
Spring is a great time to eliminate some of the coziness of winter decor and have a more minimalist approach. If you feel like your table tops are cluttered with decor, remove it all and only put back half. If your tabletops and shelves are already beautifully styled, try removing one item from each vignette for more breathing room.
I absolutely adore decorating my sofa table but removing a few items had an immediate impact on the space making it more airy and light-hearted.
Tip: Each table top and shelf should have the same amount of decorating items to keep the space balanced.
Repurpose or refresh something:
If the items that remain out feel stale or unloved, it’s time to decide if they can be repurposed or refresh. Would a fresh coat of spray paint update a lamp or candle holder? Can you repurpose an unused tray or basket as wall art?
If it is something that doesn’t bring you joy or bring practical use it is time to donate or sale.
I love this wire basket but it was taking up too much flat surface room so I decided to use it as wall art! It adds much-needed contrast to the white walls, curtains, and floor and is the perfect size for this spot.
And later I gave it new life with gold spray paint and an air plant!
Bring in new colors:
Change out art or photos with a cheeky quote or your child’s colorful creation. They cost nothing and can bring giggles and smiles. New pillow covers showcasing Spring colors is such an easy and inexpensive way to brighten up seating and beds.
Using a white duvet and blanket on my bed with a black bed skirt makes is super easy to change out pillows and throws.
Tip: Keep the original artwork or photo in the frame for protected storage. Write down what photos or prints are in the frame and tape to the back as a reminder.
Organize off season decor:
I’m not asking you to bring back out all of those Christmas decorations! Promise. Just everyday decor items that aren’t currently being used. Picture frames, pillows, throws, and knick-knacks.
First, go through each item and ask yourself if you love it? If not, is it worth repurposing? Does it have a classic style? When is the last time you used it? Make sure you get rid of items (put in the car for a thrift store right now) if it’s not adding enjoyment to your life!
Keep all of your decor in one place so that it’s easy and fun to switch out when the moment strikes. “Shopping the house” is a wonderful and cost-effective decorating solution. All the cool kids are doing it!
Tip: If you have a pillow problem (I’m totally guilty), save the inserts that you actually use. Store only pillow covers for minimal space taking.
Now that you’ve done some work getting rid of items, painting and repurposing decor (I know you were crafty!), and organizing, don’t forget to try something new.
Try something new:
If you are not in the habit of changing out decor, updating accessories and textiles, or refreshing your space, don’t be afraid to add a new statement piece. It can be a small investment or a larger one. Try a new piece of original art/ photography or maybe a limited edition print. Farmer’s Markets and antique malls are fantastic for finding local artists that aren’t expensive.
My favorite places for prints are Etsy shops, Minted, and Cozamia. I also enjoy looking for local or import shops for unique pieces of furniture and decor like this beautiful Japanese washi paper print that is displayed in an inexpensive poster frame.
Now you have easy tips and tricks to “Spring Clean” your decor with organization, storage, and a quick refresh for Spring.
Do you have any favorite Spring cleaning tips?
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting