A Simple Way to Make Stunning Plastic Easter Eggs
Decorate plastic Easter eggs using easy tips to turn plastic cheap eggs into beautiful chic-boho ones with trim and flowers.
A sore mouth, red-face, and light-head are not my idea of a good time. But every Easter I love to decorate eggs. Over the last few years, I have started decorating cheap plastic eggs my kids find and have stashed them away in the attic. It saves money and a trip to the store!
Decorate Plastic Eggs with Flowers and Velvet Ribbon
Welcome to day two of A Very Global Easter where Casa Watkins Living and I are sharing seven days of globally inspired DIYs, decorating tips, and printables. You’ll find unique ideas for Easter trees in yesterday’s posts. Today’s creative focus is on Easter eggs!
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone for 19 years. I perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces for over fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges! Our family of four lived in some of the most beautiful coastal towns in the US and Japan which have influenced my colorful and global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home in Fort Worth.
You may remember last year I painted dollar store easter eggs and outdated decorative eggs in moody colors with hand-painted ferns and truth be told, have been obsessed with the Parisian-inspired color palette with all of my holiday decorating.
I used the same crafting materials I’ve been using all year to turn this year’s Easter egg decorating into beautiful chic eggs. You can use the product recommendation below or dig through your crafting stash for trim and faux foliage.
What you need for decorating plastic eggs:
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
- Craft paint *optional
- Ribbon Trim
- Floral pieces
- Tassels *optional
- Hot glue gun and sticks
How to decorate plastic Easter eggs.
- Skip to the next step if you have matte colored plastic eggs in pretty colors. Otherwise, customize your color palette and paint plastic eggs with 2-3 coats of craft paint and let dry.
- Open plastic eggs and lay the halves on a piece of scrap cardboard or newspaper.
- Dip a dry paint brush into acrylic craft paint and wipe off excess paint.
- Paint the egg halves. They will appear streaky at first.
- Paint a second coat after they are dry to the touch.
- Add one more layer of paint or touch up as necessary. Let dry.
- Hide the seam around the middle by securing a piece of velvet trim with a dot of hot glue. Singe the cut ends with a lighter first to prevent unraveling. Overlap the ends a little for complete coverage.
- Glue 3-4 flowers heads to the top of an egg for a floral finesse. You may have to trim the back of the flower head so it doesn’t protrude too much.
- Loop a tassel around one of the flower heads and use it as a hanger for your Easter tree, hang on garland, or adorn a door handle or cabinet pull.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
I have a few mixed in with printable eggs and bunny ornaments and DIY washi eggs on sage branches. It makes a lovely global eclectic Easter Tree!
So save your breath and money by repurposing old plastic Easter eggs into beautiful designer eggs with this easy DIY! Check out more ways for decorating plastic eggs below.
Six Ways to Decorate Plastic Easter Eggs
Makeover cheap plastic Easter eggs with beautiful and creative ideas using simple crafting materials.
Easy DIY Moss Easter Eggs with Plastic Eggs
Try kokedama or Japanese moss ball-inspired Easter eggs for natural Spring decorating.
Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with Easy Steps
Decoupaged washi paper will transform plastic eggs into colorful paper Easter eggs in a few simple steps.
How to Get Beautiful Hand Painted Easter Eggs for Beginners
Learn how to paint a palm leaf on plastic eggs with this easy DIY.
Make Beautiful Easter Eggs in a Global Style
Just a few dollar store supplies turned plastic eggs into Moroacccon wedding blanket-inspired beauties.
Here's How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs Easily
Add a little glam to plastic or faux eggs with watercolor and gold leaf.
Make Beautiful Ribbon Easter Eggs in a Few Easy Steps
Cover plastic eggs in decorative ribbon tape and turn them into Easter decor you can use year after year.
Let’s stop by Stephanie’s site to see her beautiful DIY Matisse Inspired Easter Egg Painting.
You can find all the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter on this page! It also includes seasonal printables and checklists and worksheets for Spring decluttering and organizing.
- Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with DecoupageMake these gorgeous DIY decoupage easter eggs with plastic eggs from the dollar store and washi or origami paper in a few simple steps. Spring is in the air and Easter is just around the corner! It’s time to break out your craft supplies and get creative with some colorful decoupage Easter eggs. Not only…
- Make a Beautiful DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies I already have. So pull out your fairy lights and I will share how to make flower lights in minutes! DIY Flower Garland Lights Welcome…
- Try a Beautiful and Easy DIY Moss Wreath for SpringLearn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath! You are in the right place friend if you would rather make beautiful Spring decor rather than put out generic store-bought home decor or spend $$$ on designer decor. It’s much more fun…
- How to Make an Elegant Spring Basket Wreath with Repurposed ItemsCreate an elegant basket wreath by repurposing baskets and faux floral stems you already have. Step by step instructions and video included. I’m so giddy about today’s basket wreath. Threshing baskets are so easy to come by and you probably have one or two around the house. With a little creative imagination, you can transform…
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and only a few minutes. Welcome to A Very Global Easter series! This annual series is when Casa Watkins Living and I are sharing seven days…
Kathy this is so pretty!!! Love the velvet accent and the flowers are gorgeous!
Thank you! Still sticking with my moody colors this year (really, bc I’m lazy.) lol
The eggs with tassels and flowers are beautiful. I will be making some.