Add a splash of seasonal decor to your home by decorating with fake flowers that look real and you can use them year after year!
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
Artificial flowers have come a long way, so I decided to use them again in our early Spring home tour this year while I’m waiting for our garden to bloom. Welcome to the Annual Spring Home Tours blog hop hosted by Marty from A Stroll Through Life.
If you are coming from Whispering Pines Homestead and her beautiful house, hello! Scroll down to the end of this article to find loads of Spring decorating ideas and inspiration and keep reading for my favorite tips for making faux flowers look real.
Spring Decorating with Faux Flowers
Howdy! I’ll start off this tour at the front door where I’ve updated the front door color, created a cute wreath with silk leaves that came in an estate sale planter, and added a brass wolf door knocker.
I haven’t posted a DIY for this wreath but I used a Dollar Store wire wreath form and hot glue and slightly layered the leaves around it securing the base of each stem with glue.
Please come on in! I can’t wait to share our home and fake flower decorating tips.
DIY Fake Flower Arrangements
Our foyer leads right into an open-concept living and dining space with a piano studio at the front of the house and my office through open French Doors in the middle. You can see how those spaces look in this Spring home tour. Today I’m showing you around the living room with fake spring blooms!
Use flowers in season or seasonal colors
Try to select artificial flowers that would be in season when looking for real-looking faux stems. I look out for the “real touch” kind at our local Joanns and online at Amazon, which has a bendy plastic stem with movable parts and waxy flower heads but soft leaves.
They are the most realistic fake flowers I’ve found and make the best fake flower arrangements DIY.
My favorites so far are daffodils, magnolias, poppies, and sunflowers. I plan on adding tulips and daisies to the mix in the future. Typical spring bulb flowers are perfect to fool the eye in a Spring home when using fake!
Make sure to evenly place DIY faux flower arrangments around the room if you are using more than one or multiple varieties! I have four different arrangements in our living room and foyer.
I let the magnolia faux blooms “clump” together a little as they do on a real tree instead of trying to neatly arrange them in my vase. Aren’t they lovely?
You’ll notice I have my artificial flower arrangements mixed in with real plants. While I love using fake colorful flowers in seasonal crafts, especially easter, I keep my sophisticated ones for home decor styling with artificial flowers and real plants.
Separate and bend flower stems
It is really important to separate flower stems if you are using a spray or bunch and shape the stems, leaves, and flower heads to achieve the look of real ones.
Take a look at pictures of the real flowers if you are unsure about the natural shape. Of course, you can also take a creative license with flower arranging!
I replaced winter branches with poppies in my DIY pottery vase makeover. The scale of the large flowers was perfect for the tall vase and mantel vignette.
Trying to find flowers in different growing stages is another thing to look for when selecting fake flowers for decorating. I really highlighted the fact these poppies were in different sizes and included buds by bending and separating them.
Mix in real green stems with fake flowers
I love to use whatever green I already have in my yard to really get a beautiful bouquet and a bang for my buck.
Lucky for me our iris bulbs are getting fresh new leaves and they stay green all winter! So I clipped a few to add to my fake daffodils. I don’t think it could look more real even if I had the live flower in there!
Add water to your artificial flower arrangement
I know there’s a craft material that looks like water you can use to get a realistic-looking flower arrangement with a clear vase. But since I have real leaf stems and didn’t want to spend the money, the real deal works in a pinch.
Add a little clear nail polish to any fake stems that have exposed wiring at the bottom. All of my real feel flowers have a solid plastic bottom and the entire stem can be rinsed to remove dust so I just stick them directly into the water.
I had fun looking through our house to find containers for the flowers. I don’t think I’ve ever used this bowl as a vase in the 15 years I’ve had it!
These were the only stems that had a more saturated color and a mix of flowers. I really love how they make a statement in the corner of our living room while the other arrangements are more subtle.
None of the fake flower arrangements compete with each other. Stand back and take a look around your room when using multiple spring flowers in vases!
I hope you enjoyed my spring decorating ideas with artificial flowers! Just make sure to select in-season blooms, separate and shape the stems, and mix them with yard stems in water to create real looking Spring arrangement.
Now, as I promised, here are the rest of the bloggers participating in the Spring home tour blog hop. Next on today’s lineup is Pink Peppermint! If you enjoy light and fresh interiors with creative and colorful DIYs, you’ll love her blog. I’ll see you over there!
Monday, March 6th
Tuesday, March 7th
Wednesday, March 8th
Thursday, March 9th
Friday, March 10th
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! Casa Watkins Living and I are having so much fun sharing globally-influenced DIYs, decorating ideas, and more for A Very Global Christmas. Today is day … Read more
- Crafting Feathered Friends: A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Paper Mache BirdsLearn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.“ Birds of a feather stick together at least when they are covered with paper mache. Let’s make paper mache birds and let our creativity take flight. It truly is amazing … Read more
- How to Make Fabric Picture Frames: An Easy Boho Tutorial!Revamp old picture frames with boho flair! This step-by-step DIY tutorial shows how to make fabric picture frames perfect for gifting or decor. Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this super simple DIY fabric frame guide and discover how to cover a picture … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and trying to repurpose or DIY most of my decor. Since we have 70% of our belongings in long term storage, including our Halloween decor, I did … Read more
- Easy Matching Mother Daughter Halloween Costume Ideas with Clothes You Already HaveUse clothes in your closet to create easy and creative costume ideas for mother and daughter halloween or costume party outfits. Howdy, friend. The joy of dressing up and letting your imagination run wild knows no limit and that’s why I’m here today. My daughter and I are excited to share our fun journey into … Read more