Create a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge.
This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and options are my own.
I’ve always adored how my grandmother used matching bedding, wallpaper, and window treatments with the same fabrics. My fantasies of being a princess seemed to come to life when I spent the night. A young lady enveloped in a floral room was magic. I decided to bring an updated version of that into our master bedroom for the One Room Challenge with matching window treatments and a DIY no sew bed skirt.
How to make a DIY Fringe Bedskirt without Sewing
Welcome to the One Room Challenge: Week 6 update! I’m making over our master bedroom with ensuite bathroom in 8 weeks along with many other feature designers and guest participants. There are only a couple of weeks left until the big reveal and I’m excited to see what everyone has done!
Here’s the complete list of posts for this challenge.
- Easy Tips for Creating a Colorful Bedroom Mood Board
- How to Install Pre-Pasted Wallpaper All by Yourself
- Finding the Right Ceiling Fan for Your Bedroom and Modern Ceiling Fan Ideas
- Make Gorgeous No-sew Curtains
- Create a No-sew Bed Skirt with Fringe
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash without Damaging Your Drywall
- How do Create a Parisian Chic Bedroom (with ensuite)
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
Here’s what you need for a DIY bed skirt:
- 3 yards of fabric – I’m using the same Shibori Hyacinth fabric from my curtains
- 6 and 1/2 yards of 6- 7.5″ bullion fringe
- Tape measure
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Iron-on hemming tape
- Straight pins or staples
How to Make a No-sew DIY Bedskirt – Dust Ruffle
- Measure the length and width of your bed. You can find a handy mattress size chart for American beds here. Add an extra 12 inches to the two sides and front of the bed. (Queen size = 80″+ 80″+60″ plus an extra 12″) My fabric was wide enough to cut into three large strips so 3 yards was more than enough.
- Cut fabric to 18″ strips and attach pieces together with iron-on fusing tape if needed. Create the seams at the front corners of the bed. For a queen size that’s about 60″ apart.
- Now you should have one long strip of fabric. Hot glue fringe to the bottom edge all the way across working in small sections.
- Wrap the box spring with the fabric and adjust the length. I like mine slightly pooling on the ground. Fold the corner pieces of fabric on top of the box spring so they lay flat. Hot glue in place.
- Keep the overlapping fabric on top in place with straight pins or use a staple gun to attach directly to the box spring. The top mattress will hold the dust ruffle in place. Attach 3-4 strips of fabric across the box spring to each side of the dust ruffle for extra hold.
And that’s it! There’s really not much to it. You can whip up a custom made bed skirt in no time! And isn’t the fringe glorious?
The matching dust ruffle and curtains are beautiful together. Keeping the rest of the color palette with blues really adds a boutique feel to the room.
Time to tackle the rest of the to-do list for the One Room Challenge! A huge thanks to all of the sponsors that are helping me create a beautiful bedroom and bathroom.
BATHROOM AND BEDROOM PLANS
Bathroom to-do list:
- Update light fixture?
- Build a floating wood frame for art.
- Remove old backsplash, repair, and paint.
- Put in ceiling tin as the backsplash.
- Replace faucet with modern black faucet.
- Paint the toilet handle black.
- Build and install a window cornice box.
Bedroom to-do list:
Swap dressers and remove bookcase for a bigger space. Replace ceiling fan (and two additional bedroom fans). Repair and paint the walls and molding white. Takedown bed and use the frame with attached DIY legs for a new bed. Build andinstall a new upholstered headboard with green velvet fabric. Sew and hang curtain panels.
- Build and install a window cornice box.
Replace botanical prints and matting with gray and blue options. Sew a bed skirt. Add new bedding.
- Install gallery wall around tv.
Hang statement piece above the tall chest and replace pulls.
- Style the room.
Until next time!
- Beautiful and Colorful Shower Curtains for Every BudgetLooking for that wow factor in your bathroom? Check out these beautiful and colorful shower curtains that fit every budget. Don’t you love that instant gratification you get when you … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy steps
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy steps
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy steps
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy steps
- My CoSchedule Review as a Blogger and Favorite FeaturesLooking for help with online scheduling? Check out my CoSchedule review as a blogger and what three features I use to get my posts seen. Please note that this review … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy steps
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.