Give a unique gift this holiday with DIY fabric covered picture frames. Follow this easy tutorial using thrifted frames and boho fabric.
Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this simple DIY boho fabric-covered picture frame for a unique gift idea for the boho lover or customize the frame to fit any style.
DIY Boho Fabric Picture Frames
Hello, my friend and welcome to Day Six of A Very Global Christmas where Casa Watkins Living and I are sharing twelve days of globally inspired Christmas DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas. We have shared home tours, Christmas trees, wreath ideas, DIY ornaments, and advent calendars and today’s theme is a global-inspired DIY gift idea.
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges!
I love infusing a colorful, global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home.
I try to repurpose or use thrifted finds when I come up with DIY gift ideas. I have been holding on to five picture frames for years now and decided it was time to repurpose them. At first, I thought about decoupaging global printed paper on them but then remembered I had Thread Bare Fabric leftover from another project.
What you need to make a fabric covered picture frames:
- Thrifted or outdated picture frame
- Scrap fabric
- Fabric spray adhesion
- Fabric glue (optional)
- Scotch tape -black
First, you need to cut a piece of fabric a little larger than your frame. Make sure it is lined up the way you want if it has a pattern.
Prepare your surface with newspaper or wax paper. Add more paper to the opening of the frame once you remove the glass. Spray a coat of fabric glue on top of the picture frame and place the entire piece of fabric on smoothing out bubbles and wrinkles until the entire frame is covered. You’ll have a few minutes to make the fabric completely smooth before the glue gets too hard.
Spread on tacky glue with a brush if you don’t want the mess of spray glue. It will take longer to dry but you won’t have to worry about overspray. Wait overnight before finishing the next steps.
Flip the picture frame over and cut an opening in the middle. Trim back and leave a little access fabric.
Use black scotch tape to finish adhering to the fabric around the back edges of the frame and the opening in the middle.
Finish off by adding a piece of pretty craft paper in the middle or a picture!
One frame takes about ten minutes to make. I love that you customize this by using different fabrics and papers. Isn’t it such a sweet gift?
- A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for FallFind simple decorating ideas for Fall by repurposing what you have in this colorful and eclectic home tour with maximalist style. The first official day of Fall is just around … Read More about A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for Fall
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateAn One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and a custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art