Give a unique gift this holiday with DIY fabric covered picture frames. Follow this easy tutorial using thrifted frames and boho fabric.
Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this simple DIY boho fabric-covered picture frame for a unique gift idea for the boho lover or customize the frame to fit any style.
DIY Boho Fabric Picture Frames
Hello, my friend and welcome to Day Six of A Very Global Christmas where Casa Watkins Living and I are sharing twelve days of globally inspired Christmas DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas. We have shared home tours, Christmas trees, wreath ideas, DIY ornaments, and advent calendars and today’s theme is a global-inspired DIY gift idea.
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now am tackling home ownership with a new set of challenges! I love infusing colorful global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one story 60’s ranch style home.
I try to repurpose or use thrifted finds when I come up with DIY gift ideas. I have been holding on to five picture frames for years now and decided it was time to repurpose them. At first, I thought about decoupaging global printed paper on them but then remembered I had Thread Bare Fabric leftover from another project.
What you need to make a fabric covered picture frames:
- Thrifted or outdated picture frame
- Scrap fabric
- Fabric spray adhesion
- Fabric glue (optional)
- Scotch tape -black
First, you need to cut a piece of fabric a little larger than your frame. Make sure it is lined up the way you want if it has a pattern.
Prepare your surface with newspaper or wax paper. Add more paper to the opening of the frame once you remove the glass. Spray a coat of fabric glue on top of the picture frame and place the entire piece of fabric on smoothing out bubbles and wrinkles until the entire frame is covered. You’ll have a few minutes to make the fabric completely smooth before the glue gets too hard.
Spread on tacky glue with a brush if you don’t want the mess of spray glue. It will take longer to dry but you won’t have to worry about overspray. Wait overnight before finishing the next steps.
Flip the picture frame over and cut an opening in the middle. Trim back and leave a little access fabric.
Use black scotch tape to finish adhering to the fabric around the back edges of the frame and the opening in the middle.
Finish off by adding a piece of pretty craft paper in the middle or a picture!
One frame takes about ten minutes to make. I love that you customize this by using different fabrics and papers. Isn’t it such a sweet gift?
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting