An Easy Tutorial for Beautiful BOho Fabric Picture Frames
Give a unique gift this holiday with DIY fabric covered picture frames. Follow this easy tutorial using thrifted frames and boho fabric.
Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this simple DIY boho fabric-covered picture frame for a unique gift idea for the boho lover or customize the frame to fit any style.
DIY Boho Fabric Picture Frames
Hello, my friend and welcome to Day Six of A Very Global Christmas where Casa Watkins Living and I are sharing twelve days of globally inspired Christmas DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas.
We have shared home tours, Christmas trees, wreath ideas, DIY ornaments, and advent calendars and today’s theme is a global-inspired DIY gift idea.
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone for 19 years. I perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces for over fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges! Our family of four lived in some of the most beautiful coastal towns in the US and Japan which have influenced my colorful and global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home in Fort Worth.
I try to repurpose or use thrifted finds when I come up with DIY gift ideas. I have been holding on to five picture frames for years now and decided it was time to repurpose them.
At first, I thought about decoupaging global printed paper on them but then remembered I had Thread Bare Fabric left over from another project.
What you need to make a fabric covered picture frames:
- Thrifted or outdated picture frame
- Scrap fabric
- Fabric spray adhesion
- Fabric glue (optional)
- Scotch tape -black
First, you need to cut a piece of fabric a little larger than your frame. Make sure it is lined up the way you want if it has a pattern.
Prepare your surface with newspaper or wax paper. Add more paper to the opening of the frame once you remove the glass.
Spray a coat of fabric glue on top of the picture frame and place the entire piece of fabric on smoothing out bubbles and wrinkles until the entire frame is covered. You’ll have a few minutes to make the fabric completely smooth before the glue gets too hard.
Spread on tacky glue with a brush if you don’t want the mess of spray glue. It will take longer to dry but you won’t have to worry about overspray. Wait overnight before finishing the next steps.
Flip the picture frame over and cut an opening in the middle. Trim back and leave a little access fabric.
Use black scotch tape to finish adhering to the fabric around the back edges of the frame and the opening in the middle.
Finish off by adding a piece of pretty craft paper in the middle or a picture!
One frame takes about ten minutes to make. I love that you customize this by using different fabrics and papers. Isn’t it such a sweet gift?
You can find all of my Christmas decorating ideas and DIYs on this page. Make sure to check out Stephanie’s global-inspired DIY gift idea and more thoughtful Christmas gifts in this article.
- Learn how to find your design style with simple tips and tricks!A guide for “how to find my design style” in your house with designer tips and tricks that will help you be confident with decorating. Do you know what looks…
- Pretty and Practical: Simple Storage Ideas for Any SpaceLearn how to incorporate beautiful, creative, and simple storage solutions that elevate both form and function in your home. Are you tired of cluttered and disorganized spaces in your home,…
- Making Floral Arrangements Easy and Beautiful with Simple DIY MethodsDon’t wilt under pressure – find simple DIY methods for making floral arrangements beautiful with fake or real flowers. Who doesn’t love flowers? They are the icing on the cake…
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and create a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! …
- Bring the Outdoors In: Decorate with These Beautiful Bird PrintablesJoin over 2,000 subscribers and receive weekly newsletters, exclusive offers, and monthly freebies like free bird printables art straight to your inbox. My free bird printable art is a great…
Love it mom. I read this to comment how to make your blogs better. But I don’t want you to change your wordings on your blogs. i think this is just perfect. Just perfect.
Thanks sweetheart! xoxo
I have soo many frames that are in need of this makeover! Love the use of the boho fabric and would make a great gift to pair with my kiddos school pics.
They would! Good idea!