Create gorgeous gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and these easy step by step instructions.
Hey there! It’s Day 3 of “A Week of Handmade Decor” and I woke up with a horrible head cold. Ugh. I do NOT like this part of the new season. Thankfully, I have a beautiful DIY project completed for you today and am excited to share it.
I absolutely adore the look of gilded decorating accessories so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on some fall decor to transform. I used a gilding kit that came with copper, silver, and gold leaf sheets.
Here’s what you need for gilded pumpkins:
- fake pumpkins/gourds
- chocolate brown craft paint
- mod podge (or 50/50 of elmer’s glue and water)
- gold, silver, and/or copper leaf
- glaze and towel (optional)
- sponge brush and plastic gloves
1. Paint your pumpkins a base coat with chocolate brown craft paint. Wait for it to completely dry before step 2.
2. To apply the gold leaf, add a layer of mod podge with a sponge brush and wait a few minutes until it is tacky and not wet.
3. Carefully lay pieces of gold leaf down with gloved hands. Smooth down creases by tapping (not wiping) to prevent finger prints or scratches. Try not to handle it too much.
4. Let the pumpkins sit for a hour before applying a glaze for an antique look. Wipe on the glaze with towel to get in crevices.
Display them in a pretty container, as a centerpiece, or on your bookcase shelves!
Make sure to check out 50 + Fall seasonal and holiday decorating ideas, DIYs, and free printables for the season.