Create beautiful ribbon easter eggs with easy step by step pictures and decorative tape from the dollar store for global modern Easter decor.
I can’t believe Easter is right around the corner. It’s interesting being in a country that doesn’t celebrate the Christian holiday. (We are a military family stationed in Japan) Not a single egg at the “dollar store!” Of course, that didn’t stop me from decorating eggs. Try this DIY to add modern global style to your Easter and Spring decor!
DIY Ribbon Easter Eggs
Did your mother ever blow out yoke from eggs for you to decorate? Mine did but I didn’t realize how difficult it was until I decided to continue the tradition this year. Oh boy, what a headache. I blew out yoke from gorgeous brown speckled eggs with very orange yokes. If you have had fresh farm eggs you know what I’m talking about.
I found Japanese ribbon tape from the 100 yen store and spent under $3 on three rolls. I absolutely love how they turned out. They look very similar to traditional washi eggs. You can try this simple DIY with washi or ribbon tape.
What you need for ribbon Easter eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs or blown out eggs
- Ribbon or washi tape
How to make ribbon easter eggs:
- Wide ribbon – make little cuts around the edges so they flat closer to the ends of the eggs. The ribbon will overlap a little.
- Cut round pieces to cover the tips.
- Thin ribbon tape- Cut strips of thin tape from the wide ribbon tape or use thin ribbon tape. Simply wrap the ribbon tape all around the egg until it is completely covered.
Tip: As you wrap the tape/ribbon around the egg, cut little snippets about every 1/4″ so it will lay flat.
I wrapped the blue and white eggs around the middle and cut two circles for each end. The red ribbon was cut into thin strips then wrapped around. Both methods worked great.
Aren’t the ribbons gorgeous? I love the gold in the patterns. They look lovely in our newly decorated foyer!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning LookFind out how easy it is to add trim to curtains and other simple tips for making store-bought curtains look high-end and custom! This post is sponsored by SmithHonig and … Read More about How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning Look
- A Beautiful and Quick DIY Laundry Room MakeoverHow a small and dark laundry room was transformed in two days using materials I already had on hand to create a beautiful and elegant space. If you had four … Read More about A Beautiful and Quick DIY Laundry Room Makeover
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates