Create beautiful ribbon easter eggs with easy step by step pictures and decorative tape from the dollar store for global modern Easter decor.
I can’t believe Easter is right around the corner. It’s interesting being in a country that doesn’t celebrate the Christian holiday. (We are a military family stationed in Japan) Not a single egg at the “dollar store!” Of course, that didn’t stop me from decorating eggs. Try this DIY to add modern global style to your Easter and Spring decor!
DIY Ribbon Easter Eggs
Did your mother ever blow out yoke from eggs for you to decorate? Mine did but I didn’t realize how difficult it was until I decided to continue the tradition this year. Oh boy, what a headache. I blew out yoke from gorgeous brown speckled eggs with very orange yokes. If you have had fresh farm eggs you know what I’m talking about.
I found Japanese ribbon tape from the 100 yen store and spent under $3 on three rolls. I absolutely love how they turned out. They look very similar to traditional washi eggs. You can try this simple DIY with washi or ribbon tape.
What you need for ribbon Easter eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs or blown out eggs
- Ribbon or washi tape
How to make ribbon easter eggs:
- Wide ribbon – make little cuts around the edges so they flat closer to the ends of the eggs. The ribbon will overlap a little.
- Cut round pieces to cover the tips.
- Thin ribbon tape- Cut strips of thin tape from the wide ribbon tape or use thin ribbon tape. Simply wrap the ribbon tape all around the egg until it is completely covered.
Tip: As you wrap the tape/ribbon around the egg, cut little snippets about every 1/4″ so it will lay flat.
I wrapped the blue and white eggs around the middle and cut two circles for each end. The red ribbon was cut into thin strips then wrapped around. Both methods worked great.
Aren’t the ribbons gorgeous? I love the gold in the patterns. They look lovely in our newly decorated foyer!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle