A Beautiful and Cheap DIY Laundry Room Makeover
Turn your plain laundry space into a beautiful room with these DIY laundry room makeover ideas that you can do on a weekend.
If you had four short weeks or maybe just a weekend, leftover paint and wallpaper, what room would you refresh?
DIY Laundry Room Makeover on a Budget
Welcome to the New Year, New Room Refresh Challenge hosted by Casa Watkins Living, where eight bloggers are updating a room in a month. It is the reveal day and I can’t wait to show you how I gave a small-sad laundry room an elegant French-inspired refresh using things I already had.
Let’s start at the beginning, shall we?
Here was our laundry room at the beginning of the year.
Not bad. Just nothing special about it even though I had painted the original cabinets and hardware and hung art when we first moved in but was ready for a fresh start. I decided to spend as little money as possible and only use leftover materials I had from other room makeovers to refresh the space.
Easy DIY Laundry Room Makeover Ideas
Here is what I accomplished for the challenge. And honestly, I only worked on it for two days out of the month we had. You can do something similar on a weekend easily!
- Laundry room plans and ideas on a budget
- DIY shelf for behind a top load washer and dryer
- Wallpaper accent wall and paint (Make sure to check out this story for cheap wallpaper alternatives if you don’t have any wallpaper on hand to get a similar look!)
After these projects were finished, something astonishing happened. Two days ago, my husband offered to make a wood cover for the wire shelving that fits between the washer and dryer.
Y’all, he hasn’t lifted a finger to help me with a room makeover for almost eight years! And I haven’t asked. It’s an agreement we had because he was always busy as an active duty marine and often on deployments. But now he has extra time. I think I could get used to it!
Our laundry room looks so much bigger and brighter now! The leftover Milton and King wallpaper I used made such a difference and the installation was a breeze with the two small sections.
I mixed a sample color of blue with the same white on the walls to get a custom cabinet color as I mentioned last week. I had leftover pulls for the cabinets and storage cart.
One of my friends on Instagram opened a beautiful print shop and sent me a few of my favorite digital files. I printed them at Walgreens and they look so gorgeous in this space! All three art pieces are from Jefferson Home Print Shop. I love the European vibe they had along with the custom paint color and wallpaper.
I added a couple of special pieces like a vintage Asian basket and Waterford crystal from a dear friend and a gold box that was my grandmother’s. Adding special pieces like these makes doing laundry even more pleasant!
I’m still waiting for a rug to arrive that I was able to purchase with a gift card. So our foyer rug from Mohawk Home is in the space right now. It looks pretty good there!
The room turned out perfect! It feels fancy and is much more fun to do laundry now.
Common Questions about Cheap Laundry Room Makeovers:
- How do I renovate my laundry on a budget? Keep costs down by making small changes like new hardware, lighting, paint, and rug. Update ugly cabinets with paint or remove them and install shelves.
- How much does it cost to remodel a small laundry room? A small laundry room renovation can cost between hundreds to thousands of dollars. Keep the costs down by optimizing what you have and shopping for used/discounted cabinets and counters at your local habitat store. Do the work yourself and save $$$$.
- How can I cover my laundry room? Hang a curtain rod and curtains to hide an open laundry space or use a room divider.
- How can I maximize my small laundry room? Use the vertical space by adding shelves, a rod to hang clothes, or a hanging dry clothing rack. Utilize any open space between cabinets and the machines with shelves and caddies. Place baskets on open shelves and front load machines for additional hidden storage.
- How do you update a small laundry room? 1. Paint the laundry room. 2. Install a utulity sink if space allows. 3. Install a clothes hanger rod vertically or from the ceiling to save room. 4. Add open shelves above washer and dryer and/or below small cabinets to add more storage and hide hoses and cords. 5. Install wall cabinets on an open wall above the washer and dryer. 6. Replace the cabinet hardware on existing cabinets and give them a fresh coat of paint in a new color! 7. Add/store drying racks between washer/dryer and wall. 8. Repuprose decorating items from around the house to add fresh wall art and practical decor like baskets and decorative boxes to hold laundry supplies.
- Can you put wallpaper in a laundry room? Avoid wallpaper materials like silk, grass cloth, or velvet as they can be damaged in changing tempertaure and humdity. Use non-woven traditional or peel and stick wallpaper without worry.
I hope these tips and simple DIYs for making over a laundry room on a budget inspired and helped you! Feel free to leave me any questions in the comments below.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Make sure to check out the rest of the reveals below!! I’ll join you. 🙂
Casa Watkins Living // Up To Date Interiors // House by Hoff // Our Fifth House // Jeweled Interiors // Blue I Style // Domicile 37 // Delineate your Dwelling
- Make a Beautiful DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies…
- Try a Beautiful and Easy DIY Moss Wreath for SpringLearn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath! You are in the right place friend if…
- How to Make an Elegant Spring Basket Wreath with Repurposed ItemsCreate an elegant basket wreath by repurposing baskets and faux floral stems you already have. Step by step instructions and video included. I’m so giddy about today’s basket wreath. Threshing…
- Simple Tips for Decorating with Fake Flowers for SpringAdd a splash of seasonal decor to your home by decorating with fake flowers that look real and you can use them year after year! Artificial flowers have come a…
- A Simple Formula for Mixing Metals in the Bathroom BeautifullyRules are made to be broken! Get creative with decorating by following easy tips for mixing metals in the bathroom tastefully. You may be wondering if you can mix metals…
Wow Kathy! Genius how you built the unit in the middle.
Thanks Jewel! It was my husband’s idea, design, and build. First time in like 7 years he has helped. lol
Really loving the wallpaper and matching cabinets! So beautiful.
Thanks so much Amy! I’m so pleased with how it turned out.
Your laundry room looks amazing, Kathy! I love the paint color and wallpaper and of course the shelf and unit in between the washer and dryer.
This looks great Kathy! I’m terrified to even walk in my laundry room. Lol!!
Funny! Thanks Ola. My husband is our laundry guy right now and he even says he loves the room now. 🙂
Your laundry room is so fancy I think I’d feel bad bringing dirty laundry into it! Lol! I love the soft periwinkle mixed with the gold. I’ll have to check out your friend’s shop. Those prints are gorgeous!
Thank you! Please do. She has a lot of lovely prints.
Kathy it is amazing! Love that wallpaper and the paint color goes so great with it! The storage between the two machines matching the cabinets is fab!
Thanks stephanie! It looks sooo much better now. 🙂