Turn your plain laundry space into a beautiful room with these DIY laundry room makeover ideas that you can do on a weekend.
If you had four short weeks or maybe just a weekend, leftover paint and wallpaper, what room would you refresh?
DIY Laundry Room Makeover on a Budget
Welcome to the New Year, New Room Refresh Challenge hosted by Casa Watkins Living, where eight bloggers are updating a room in a month. It is the reveal day and I can’t wait to show you how I gave a small-sad laundry room an elegant French-inspired refresh using things I already had.
Let’s start at the beginning, shall we?
Here was our laundry room at the beginning of the year.
Not bad. Just nothing special about it even though I had painted the original cabinets and hardware and hung art when we first moved in but was ready for a fresh start. I decided to spend as little money as possible and only use leftover materials I had from other room makeovers to refresh the space.
Easy DIY Laundry Room Makeover Ideas
Here is what I accomplished for the challenge. And honestly, I only worked on it for two days out of the month we had. You can do something similar on a weekend easily!
- Laundry room plans and ideas on a budget
- DIY shelf for behind a top load washer and dryer
- Wallpaper accent wall and paint (Make sure to check out this story for cheap wallpaper alternatives if you don’t have any wallpaper on hand to get a similar look!)
After these projects were finished, something astonishing happened. Two days ago, my husband offered to make a wood cover for the wire shelving that fits between the washer and dryer.
Y’all, he hasn’t lifted a finger to help me with a room makeover for almost eight years! And I haven’t asked. It’s an agreement we had because he was always busy as an active duty marine and often on deployments. But now he has extra time. I think I could get used to it!
Our laundry room looks so much bigger and brighter now! The leftover Milton and King wallpaper I used made such a difference and the installation was a breeze with the two small sections.
I mixed a sample color of blue with the same white on the walls to get a custom cabinet color as I mentioned last week. I had leftover pulls for the cabinets and storage cart.
One of my friends on Instagram opened a beautiful print shop and sent me a few of my favorite digital files. I printed them at Walgreens and they look so gorgeous in this space! All three art pieces are from Jefferson Home Print Shop. I love the European vibe they had along with the custom paint color and wallpaper.
I added a couple of special pieces like a vintage Asian basket and Waterford crystal from a dear friend and a gold box that was my grandmother’s. Adding special pieces like these makes doing laundry even more pleasant!
I’m still waiting for a rug to arrive that I was able to purchase with a gift card. So our foyer rug from Mohawk Home is in the space right now. It looks pretty good there!
The room turned out perfect! It feels fancy and is much more fun to do laundry now.
Common Questions about Cheap Laundry Room Makeovers:
- How do I renovate my laundry on a budget? Keep costs down by making small changes like new hardware, lighting, paint, and rug. Update ugly cabinets with paint or remove them and install shelves.
- How much does it cost to remodel a small laundry room? A small laundry room renovation can cost between hundreds to thousands of dollars. Keep the costs down by optimizing what you have and shopping for used/discounted cabinets and counters at your local habitat store. Do the work yourself and save $$$$.
- How can I cover my laundry room? Hang a curtain rod and curtains to hide an open laundry space or use a room divider.
- How can I maximize my small laundry room? Use the vertical space by adding shelves, a rod to hang clothes, or a hanging dry clothing rack. Utilize any open space between cabinets and the machines with shelves and caddies. Place baskets on open shelves and front load machines for additional hidden storage.
- How do you update a small laundry room? 1. Paint the laundry room. 2. Install a utulity sink if space allows. 3. Install a clothes hanger rod vertically or from the ceiling to save room. 4. Add open shelves above washer and dryer and/or below small cabinets to add more storage and hide hoses and cords. 5. Install wall cabinets on an open wall above the washer and dryer. 6. Replace the cabinet hardware on existing cabinets and give them a fresh coat of paint in a new color! 7. Add/store drying racks between washer/dryer and wall. 8. Repuprose decorating items from around the house to add fresh wall art and practical decor like baskets and decorative boxes to hold laundry supplies.
- Can you put wallpaper in a laundry room? Avoid wallpaper materials like silk, grass cloth, or velvet as they can be damaged in changing tempertaure and humdity. Use non-woven traditional or peel and stick wallpaper without worry.
I hope these tips and simple DIYs for making over a laundry room on a budget inspired and helped you! Feel free to leave me any questions in the comments below.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Make sure to check out the rest of the reveals below!! I’ll join you. 🙂
- What are Dado Rails and How to Use Them in the HallwayWhat is dado railing? Learn more about this common molding and a creative way on how to easily update a boring hallway. Howdy! Welcome back to the New Year New … Read More about What are Dado Rails and How to Use Them in the Hallway
- Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware IdeasOur hallways are getting a refresh this month and I’m narrowing down choices for blue hallway runners and light and hardware this week. Howdy! Welcome back to the New Year … Read More about Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware Ideas
- Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before PicturesCheck out what I have planned to turn a dark hallway into a colorful are gallery in just four weeks for the New Year New Room Refresh. Happy New Year! … Read More about Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before Pictures
- A Maximalist Holiday House Tour with Easy DIYsWelcome to our maximalist holiday house tour full of globally inspired DIYs, floral, fruit, and garland mixed with colorful room designs. Greetings friend! I’m thrilled to be joining my talented … Read More about A Maximalist Holiday House Tour with Easy DIYs
- How to Make a Free Caroling Booklet with a Christmas Carols PDFPrint out your own free Christmas carols PDF and turn it into a caroling booklet with a beautiful cover and binding. Christmas Caroling has been around for centuries! Is there … Read More about How to Make a Free Caroling Booklet with a Christmas Carols PDF