Learn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath!
You are in the right place friend if you would rather make beautiful Spring decor rather than putting out generic store-bought decor or spend $$$ on designer decor. It’s much more fun and satisfying to infuse your own style into the holidays and seasons. That’s why I’m excited to share how to make a moss wreath with you today!
DIY Moss Covered Wreath with Cherry Blossoms
Welcome to A Very Global Easter series day four, wreaths and wall hangings. My good friend Casa Watkins Living and I share seven days of globally inspired Easter decor every year. It’s a good way to repurpose, shop the house, and use craft and decor items in a new way!
Find all of the current and past series’ decorating ideas and DIY on A Very Global Easter page. We have already shared Easter trees, Easter eggs, and printables this year. The series usually spans over two weeks and it goes by so fast! My global inspiration comes from Japanese culture like Ikebana (flower arranging) and Kokedama (moss balls).
The Easter projects I share with you are a loose representation of the Japanese methods to make them easily accessible and because I’m not an expert in those fields although I’ve seen and researched them! The results are fresh and beautiful Easter and Spring handmade decor pieces that are definitely unique to traditional Easter decor. Like today’s Kokedama inspired DIY moss-covered wreath.
How to Make a Moss Wreath
You will need:
- Grapevine wreath form for the moss wreath base
- Florist wire
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Faux cherry blossom stems or other leftover flowers
The fun thing about kokedama is that the plant is potted in a mud ball covered with moss and held together with wire or string. I decided to translate this to a wreath with faux floral and moss held together with florist wire and glue.
- Place the moss on a cookie sheet or other large dish to contain it.
- Use hot glue and apply it directly to the grapevine wreath form in small sections at a time.
- Place a clump of moss on the glue and press gently to avoid burning your hand. Once the glue cools a bit you can squeeze the moss around the grapevine wreath to help keep it in place.
- Repeat the last step until the wreath is covered. I made two rounds around my wreath by first gluing the moss on the front of the wreath and then around the outside edge.
- Place a few stems of cherry blossoms on top. Using thin-flexible stems will make this easier! Otherwise, you may need to shape them some.
- Carefully wrap florist wire around the stems and moss all the way around the wreath binding it together. Pull out flower petals and leaves from under the wire.
- Trim off any stray pieces of moss if needed. You can also gently shake the wreath and see if there are any bald spots that need more moss or wire.
- Hang and enjoy!
I really wanted a Spring wreath to replace the winter wreath over our bed. It looks so pretty against the wall mural and with my DIY moss green velvet headboard. It would also look pretty close to my kokedama inspired Easter eggs! You can’t go wrong decorating with green in my book.
Make sure to head over to Casa Watkins Living and check out her cute scandi wreath! We have three more days of Easter decor and then a couple of Spring home tours.
Join me on Instagram for behind the scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to TryFind inspiration and tips for small ensuite bathroom ideas with current trends mixed with classic designs for this ORC update. I’m sure you and I have both dreamed of having our … Read More about Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to Try
- How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom DesignDo you struggle with what to do with your small ensuite design? Follow me as I transform a little bathroom in 8 short weeks for the One Room Challenge. One of … Read More about How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom Design
- Easy Summer Bedroom Decorating with Green and BlueFind inspiration for bedroom decorating with green and blue accents in light hues with a maximalist style for summer. Have you ever finished decorating a room and then tweaked it later … Read More about Easy Summer Bedroom Decorating with Green and Blue
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish you … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies I … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes