Learn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath!
You are in the right place friend if you would rather make beautiful Spring decor rather than putting out generic store-bought decor or spend $$$ on designer decor. It’s much more fun and satisfying to infuse your own style into the holidays and seasons. That’s why I’m excited to share how to make a moss wreath with you today!
DIY Moss Covered Wreath with Cherry Blossoms
Welcome to A Very Global Easter series day four, wreaths and wall hangings. My good friend Casa Watkins Living and I share seven days of globally inspired Easter decor every year. It’s a good way to repurpose, shop the house, and use craft and decor items in a new way!
Find all of the current and past series’ decorating ideas and DIY on A Very Global Easter page. We have already shared Easter trees, Easter eggs, and printables this year. The series usually spans over two weeks and it goes by so fast! My global inspiration comes from Japanese culture like Ikebana (flower arranging) and Kokedama (moss balls).
The Easter projects I share with you are a loose representation of the Japanese methods to make them easily accessible and because I’m not an expert in those fields although I’ve seen and researched them! The results are fresh and beautiful Easter and Spring handmade decor pieces that are definitely unique to traditional Easter decor. Like today’s Kokedama inspired DIY moss-covered wreath.
How to Make a Moss Wreath
You will need:
- Grapevine wreath form for the moss wreath base
- Florist wire
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Faux cherry blossom stems or other leftover flowers
The fun thing about kokedama is that the plant is potted in a mud ball covered with moss and held together with wire or string. I decided to translate this to a wreath with faux floral and moss held together with florist wire and glue.
- Place the moss on a cookie sheet or other large dish to contain it.
- Use hot glue and apply it directly to the grapevine wreath form in small sections at a time.
- Place a clump of moss on the glue and press gently to avoid burning your hand. Once the glue cools a bit you can squeeze the moss around the grapevine wreath to help keep it in place.
- Repeat the last step until the wreath is covered. I made two rounds around my wreath by first gluing the moss on the front of the wreath and then around the outside edge.
- Place a few stems of cherry blossoms on top. Using thin-flexible stems will make this easier! Otherwise, you may need to shape them some.
- Carefully wrap florist wire around the stems and moss all the way around the wreath binding it together. Pull out flower petals and leaves from under the wire.
- Trim off any stray pieces of moss if needed. You can also gently shake the wreath and see if there are any bald spots that need more moss or wire.
- Hang and enjoy!
I really wanted a Spring wreath to replace the winter wreath over our bed. It looks so pretty against the wall mural and with my DIY moss green velvet headboard. It would also look pretty close to my kokedama inspired Easter eggs! You can’t go wrong decorating with green in my book.
Make sure to head over to Casa Watkins Living and check out her cute scandi wreath! We have three more days of Easter decor and then a couple of Spring home tours.
Join me on Instagram for behind the scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at week … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when they … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love and … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to use … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle