Makes these easy DIY Plaster Leaves in minutes. Great to use as a garland or for a pretty Fall table setting.
Do you love creating Fall decor as much as I do? I’m always looking for creative ways to repurpose or use dollar store items in seasonal decorating. Of course, I want it to be fresh and modern!
Check out this easy Fall leaf DIY with Plaster of Pairs and create a unique garland or table place setting accent.
DIY Plaster Leaves with Dollar Store Foliage
In my first few years of blogging, I created a lot of seasonal, decorating, and organizing series. I really enjoyed sharing a full week of Fall DIYs and these plaster dipped leaves were one of my favorites and still popular with my readers today!
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone for 19 years. I perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces for over fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges! Our family of four lived in some of the most beautiful coastal towns in the US and Japan which have influenced my colorful and global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home in Fort Worth.
What you need for plaster dipped leaves:
For this Fall DIY, I knew I wanted to do something with my dollar tree leaves and wanted it more modern. I always start by looking to see if there is something in the house I can use. After rummaging around, I remembered my big tub of Plaster of Paris. Bingo!
I’ve had success with plaster-dipped flowers so I was excited to dip something else.
- Silk leaves (mine are from the Dollar Tree)
- Plaster of Paris, mixing container and spoon
- Wax Paper
- Jute Twine
How to dip silk leaves in Plaster of Paris:
- Lay out a piece of wax paper for you leaves to dry on.
- Follow the instructions on the Plaster of Paris container and mix up a paste in a plastic mixing bowl like tupperware or disposable dish. You want the consistency to be like tooth paste. I like to mix mine right in the sink for easy clean up.
- Work quickly and hold a leaf by the stem and dip it into the plaster. Make sure it is completely coated then shake off excess plaster before laying on the wax paper.
- Have them dry for a few hours, then carefully peel them off of the wax paper. Let them sit overnight before you use them.
Aren’t they pretty? Tie them to jute twine or other decorative string by the stems to create a garland.
They also look pretty as decor or on top of a place setting at the table.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
The leaves were such a great shape for plaster. You could also use a variety of flowers and leaves dipped in plaster for garland or glue to a picture frame for unique decor.
Here are other ideas for using Plaster of Paris I think you’ll enjoy!
Make sure to check out 50 + Fall seasonal and holiday decorating ideas, DIYs, and free printables for the season.
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! Casa Watkins Living and I are having so much fun sharing globally-influenced DIYs, decorating ideas, and more for A Very Global Christmas. Today is day … Read more
- Crafting Feathered Friends: A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Paper Mache BirdsLearn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.“ Birds of a feather stick together at least when they are covered with paper mache. Let’s make paper mache birds and let our creativity take flight. It truly is amazing … Read more
- How to Make Fabric Picture Frames: An Easy Boho Tutorial!Revamp old picture frames with boho flair! This step-by-step DIY tutorial shows how to make fabric picture frames perfect for gifting or decor. Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this super simple DIY fabric frame guide and discover how to cover a picture … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and trying to repurpose or DIY most of my decor. Since we have 70% of our belongings in long term storage, including our Halloween decor, I did … Read more
- Easy Matching Mother Daughter Halloween Costume Ideas with Clothes You Already HaveUse clothes in your closet to create easy and creative costume ideas for mother and daughter halloween or costume party outfits. Howdy, friend. The joy of dressing up and letting your imagination run wild knows no limit and that’s why I’m here today. My daughter and I are excited to share our fun journey into … Read more