Find 30+ ideas for DIY summer room decor on a budget with creative handmade decor and decorating tips including seasonal holidays.
A Guide to Summer Decorating and Holidays
What is your favorite part of summer? Warm but breezy evenings, beach outings, and swim-suit activities? Those are fun but sometimes it is just too darn hot to be outside so summer indoor projects are a must. Take the time to evoke summer musings into your home with the best summer DIYs and decorating tips and find inspiration for the hot summer holidays and printables to add instant seasonal decor.
DIY Summer Room Decor
Table of Contents
- Ten Colorful-Eclectic Decorating Ideas for Summer Inside and Outside
- Beat the Heat with Fun Summer Inspired DIYs on a Budget
- Beach Inspired Handmade Decor
- Free Seasonal and Holiday Printables and Decor
- Summer Category Page
Ten Colorful-Eclectic Decorating Ideas for Summer Inside and Outside
Put fresh-summer vibes into your home with these creative and fun decorating projects using items you have around the house.
- Create an open living space by pulling furniture away from walls. Try removing a piece or two or swap furniture for lighter pieces from other rooms. Rattan, light woods, and cotton-fabric upholstery are ideal.
- Replace throw pillows and blankets with breathable fabrics and summer prints. Hang sheer curtains from a canopy bed or windows for hopeful cool breezes or at least, a more tropical feel.
- Add in ocean blues and greens with pops of jewel tones for a colorful eclectic vibe.
- Use tropical plants at your next dinner party. Try the dollar store for inexpensive faux options!
- Hang straw hats and summer headwear on the wall in your foyer for a fantastic textural feature and easy access.
- Add a punch of green with removable wallpaper featuring herbs or other tropical prints. Try a small place, like an accent wall in the powder room or hallway.
- Use tropical or botanical art on the walls or add summer hues with DIY painted threshing baskets.
- Display souvenirs from family summer trips for an interesting conversation starter or a trip down memory lane.
- Keep oriental fans nearby for guests on the porch or patio or display them as an art installation on an empty wall.
- Transform your bathroom into a spa retreat to accommodate additional indoor activities like bath soaks and pedicures during hot summer evenings.
Beat the Heat with Fun Summer Inspired DIYs on a Budget
Most of these DIY summer room decor projects can be done with dollar store items, supplies from your crafting stash, and repurposed decor. Click the image below for your shopping convenience.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
- Try a tropical floral lantern with dollar store supplies.
- Create an oriental fan wall with Daiso or dollar store fans.
- Make a basket wall with thrifted baskets and craft paint.
- DIY a planter with surprising dollar store items.
- Make tassel hanging baskets that add a fun pop of color.
- Try a Moroccan inspired tray with dollar store supplies.
- DIY a blanket or towel ladder with bamboo for under $10.
- DIY a Mexican cactus decoration to add boho style.
- Create a confetti DIY dollar store vase with nail polish.
- DIY a Pottery Barn inspired cachepot to get high-end decor on a budget.
- Make a floral arrangement with easy tips for getting flowers just right.
- Create a glass and driftwood terrarium with step by step instructions.
- Update a concrete cactus planter with a dollar store supplies.
- DIY a no-sew teepee using drop cloths and other inexpensive items.
- Make a faux living art by repurposing a tray with DIY felt and faux succulents.
Beach Inspired Handmade Decor
What better use for your beach finds than to turn them into your next summer DIY by creating a beautiful coastal piece to display with home decor.
DIY Oyster Mirror – Repurpose a mirror frame with leftover shells from an oyster roast and get a designer-inspired decor piece on a dime.
Seashell Wreath – This DIY seashell wreath is perfect if are able to take long beach walks and collect shells. But if you don’t have beach access, the inexpensive materials can be found at your local craft or dollar store.
Shell Hanging – Add boho style to your space with natural materials and a pop of green. This is a good project for recycled beach materials.
Copper and Coral Napkin Rings – Give your table a unique coastal twist with creative napkin rings. Just a couple of supplies and beach items are needed!
DIY Coral Bookends – Another project inspired by high-end designers are dollar store bookends transformed into beautiful coastal decor.
Seaglass and Copper Mobile – A gorgeous alternative to displaying sea glass decor is a copper and sea glass hanging and a great way to brighten up a corner.
Seashell Place Card Holders – Transform larger seashells with a slit and gold embellishment into place cardholders. These beauties can be used all year round and add a traditional-Colonial style to your table.
Decorate with Beach Finds – Do you have boxes of shells, corals, and other ocean pieces but not sure how to display them? Discover many creative ideas for beautiful decor accents and placement.
Seaside Inspired Bookcase – Transform a bookshelf to fit into a neutral coastal style with easy decorating tips.
Free Seasonal and Holiday Printables
Subscribe below and have instant access to a growing library of printable art and decor. Keep up to date with new ideas from Up to Date Interiors on Instagram and watch IGTV for DIY decor videos and home tours.
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is … Read more
- Crafting Feathered Friends: A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Paper Mache BirdsLearn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.“ Birds of … Read more
- How to Make Fabric Picture Frames: An Easy Boho Tutorial!Revamp old picture frames with boho flair! This step-by-step DIY tutorial shows how to make fabric picture frames perfect for gifting or decor. Do you love creating … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during … Read more
- Easy Matching Mother Daughter Halloween Costume Ideas with Clothes You Already HaveUse clothes in your closet to create easy and creative costume ideas for mother and daughter halloween or costume party outfits. Howdy, friend. The joy of dressing … Read more