Make these gorgeous DIY washi paper eggs with plastic eggs from the dollar store and washi or origami paper in four simple steps.
Hello, hello. With Easter around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about those eggs. I’ve got the perfect, last-minute Easter egg decorating project using plastic eggs you probably already have stashed away somewhere. These pretty DIY Washi Paper Eggs cost me 100 Yen. That’s under a dollar my friend so check your local dollar store for supplies.
DIY Washi Paper Eggs (with dollar store eggs!)
I was really excited when I saw a pack of beautiful handmade paper at the 100 Yen store. Some of the papers even had gold threads in it! They were the perfect inspiration for this year’s handmade Easter eggs.
Here’s what you need for these beautiful Japanese inspired washi eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs
- Washi paper (or other craft paper)
- Solution of 50% glue (Elmer’s) and 50% water
How to make washi paper eggs:
- Cut your paper into strips. If your paper is thin and opaque like mine, choose Easter eggs in the same color family for each color of paper.
- Prepare the glue/water solution by mixing 50/50 Elmers or other craft glue and water to create a decoupage solution.
- Dip a strip of paper into the glue (use a straw to dunk it) and place it on the egg.
- Tap down the edges gently to smooth the paper on the egg. Use enough strips to cover the egg completely.
- To speed up drying time. Set your oven to 200 degrees and leave on for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and place your eggs inside for a hour. You can do this more than once until your eggs are dry.
Style your eggs with moss in a wire basket for a fresh update to a traditional Easter grass and basket.
Aren’t the colors beautiful?
Think of all the possibilities of colors and patterns with decoupaged eggs!
If you liked these Washi Paper Eggs than you’ll love the DIY Japanese Ribbon Eggs that I made last year! You would probably also love my this chinoiserie egg idea from Stone Gable and these beautiful eggs from Southern Living.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- DIY a German Smear Mortar Wash for Under $10Try this easy and inexpensive DIY tutorial to achieve a german schmear mortar wash on a stone or brick fireplace for just a few dollars! Welcome back to the One…
- Organic Modern Living Room Reveal and How to Replicate the Key ElementsCheck out how our organic modern living room makeover, learn what the style is, and see how to create the look in your home. This post contains sponsored and affiliate…
- An Easy DIY Textured Paint Vase and Planter Makeover IdeaGive your ceramic vases and planters an easy makeover with DIY textured paint to make them look like pottery! I’m in the middle of giving my living room a modern…
- Try this Easy and Modern Fireplace Facelift for a Floating MantelCheck out this before-and-after fireplace facelift for a floating mantel to give it a beautiful modern makeover on a budget. Are you looking for a way to beautify your floating…
- 10 Original Free Printable Chanel Wall ArtAdd a little inspiration to your home and closet with 10 free printable Chanel wall art downloads in neutral, pink, and blue hues. Are you looking for free Chanel wall…