Make these gorgeous DIY washi paper eggs with plastic eggs from the dollar store and washi or origami paper in four simple steps.
Hello, hello. With Easter around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about those eggs. I’ve got the perfect, last-minute Easter egg decorating project using plastic eggs you probably already have stashed away somewhere. These pretty DIY Washi Paper Eggs cost me 100 Yen. That’s under a dollar my friend so check your local dollar store for supplies.
DIY Washi Paper Eggs (with dollar store eggs!)
I was really excited when I saw a pack of beautiful handmade paper at the 100 Yen store. Some of the papers even had gold threads in it! They were the perfect inspiration for this year’s handmade Easter eggs.
Here’s what you need for these beautiful Japanese inspired washi eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs
- Washi paper (or other craft paper)
- Solution of 50% glue (Elmer’s) and 50% water
How to make washi paper eggs:
- Cut your paper into strips. If your paper is thin and opaque like mine, choose Easter eggs in the same color family for each color of paper.
- Prepare the glue/water solution by mixing 50/50 Elmers or other craft glue and water to create a decoupage solution.
- Dip a strip of paper into the glue (use a straw to dunk it) and place it on the egg.
- Tap down the edges gently to smooth the paper on the egg. Use enough strips to cover the egg completely.
- To speed up drying time. Set your oven to 200 degrees and leave on for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and place your eggs inside for a hour. You can do this more than once until your eggs are dry.
Style your eggs with moss in a wire basket for a fresh update to a traditional Easter grass and basket.
Aren’t the colors beautiful?
Think of all the possibilities of colors and patterns with decoupaged eggs!
If you liked these Washi Paper Eggs than you’ll love the DIY Japanese Ribbon Eggs that I made last year! You would probably also love my this chinoiserie egg idea from Stone Gable and these beautiful eggs from Southern Living.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates
- Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place CardsFind an easy DIY for bottle brush place card holders to use with free printable Christmas place cards on your holiday table this year! We made it! Welcome to Day … Read More about Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place Cards
- An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in MinutesAn easy pink Christmas table setting inspired by French, modern-bohemian style and my grandmother’s Dresden china. Do you use family heirlooms around the holidays? I’ve been gifted my grandmother’s Dresden … Read More about An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in Minutes