Make these gorgeous DIY washi paper eggs with plastic eggs from the dollar store and washi or origami paper in four simple steps.
Hello, hello. With Easter around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about those eggs. I’ve got the perfect, last-minute Easter egg decorating project using plastic eggs you probably already have stashed away somewhere. These pretty DIY Washi Paper Eggs cost me 100 Yen. That’s under a dollar my friend so check your local dollar store for supplies.
DIY Washi Paper Eggs (with dollar store eggs!)
I was really excited when I saw a pack of beautiful handmade paper at the 100 Yen store. Some of the papers even had gold threads in it! They were the perfect inspiration for this year’s handmade Easter eggs.
Here’s what you need for these beautiful Japanese inspired washi eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs
- Washi paper (or other craft paper)
- Solution of 50% glue (Elmer’s) and 50% water
How to make washi paper eggs:
- Cut your paper into strips. If your paper is thin and opaque like mine, choose Easter eggs in the same color family for each color of paper.
- Prepare the glue/water solution by mixing 50/50 Elmers or other craft glue and water to create a decoupage solution.
- Dip a strip of paper into the glue (use a straw to dunk it) and place it on the egg.
- Tap down the edges gently to smooth the paper on the egg. Use enough strips to cover the egg completely.
- To speed up drying time. Set your oven to 200 degrees and leave on for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and place your eggs inside for a hour. You can do this more than once until your eggs are dry.
Style your eggs with moss in a wire basket for a fresh update to a traditional Easter grass and basket.
Aren’t the colors beautiful?
Think of all the possibilities of colors and patterns with decoupaged eggs!
If you liked these Washi Paper Eggs than you’ll love the DIY Japanese Ribbon Eggs that I made last year! You would probably also love my this chinoiserie egg idea from Stone Gable and these beautiful eggs from Southern Living.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- My CoSchedule Review as a Blogger and Favorite FeaturesLooking for help with online scheduling? Check out my CoSchedule review as a blogger and what three features I use to get my posts seen. Please note that this review … Read More about Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with Easy Steps
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate … Read More about Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with Easy Steps
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been … Read More about Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with Easy Steps
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a … Read More about Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with Easy Steps
- How to Make Custom Curtains Without SewingLearn how to make beautiful custom curtains without sewing with an easy tutorial including step by step instructions and video. This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are … Read More about Learn How to Make Beautiful Washi Paper Eggs with Easy Steps
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.