Make these gorgeous DIY washi paper eggs with plastic eggs from the dollar store and washi or origami paper in four simple steps.
Hello, hello. With Easter around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about those eggs. I’ve got the perfect, last-minute Easter egg decorating project using plastic eggs you probably already have stashed away somewhere. These pretty DIY Washi Paper Eggs cost me 100 Yen. That’s under a dollar my friend so check your local dollar store for supplies.
DIY Washi Paper Eggs (with dollar store eggs!)
I was really excited when I saw a pack of beautiful handmade paper at the 100 Yen store. Some of the papers even had gold threads in it! They were the perfect inspiration for this year’s handmade Easter eggs.
Here’s what you need for these beautiful Japanese inspired washi eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs
- Washi paper (or other craft paper)
- Solution of 50% glue (Elmer’s) and 50% water
How to make washi paper eggs:
- Cut your paper into strips. If your paper is thin and opaque like mine, choose Easter eggs in the same color family for each color of paper.
- Prepare the glue/water solution by mixing 50/50 Elmers or other craft glue and water to create a decoupage solution.
- Dip a strip of paper into the glue (use a straw to dunk it) and place it on the egg.
- Tap down the edges gently to smooth the paper on the egg. Use enough strips to cover the egg completely.
- To speed up drying time. Set your oven to 200 degrees and leave on for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and place your eggs inside for a hour. You can do this more than once until your eggs are dry.
Style your eggs with moss in a wire basket for a fresh update to a traditional Easter grass and basket.
Aren’t the colors beautiful?
Think of all the possibilities of colors and patterns with decoupaged eggs!
If you liked these Washi Paper Eggs than you’ll love the DIY Japanese Ribbon Eggs that I made last year! You would probably also love my this chinoiserie egg idea from Stone Gable and these beautiful eggs from Southern Living.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting