Make these gorgeous DIY washi paper eggs with plastic eggs from the dollar store and washi or origami paper in four simple steps.
Hello, hello. With Easter around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about those eggs. I’ve got the perfect, last-minute Easter egg decorating project using plastic eggs you probably already have stashed away somewhere. These pretty DIY Washi Paper Eggs cost me 100 Yen. That’s under a dollar my friend so check your local dollar store for supplies.
DIY Washi Paper Eggs (with dollar store eggs!)
I was really excited when I saw a pack of beautiful handmade paper at the 100 Yen store. Some of the papers even had gold threads in it! They were the perfect inspiration for this year’s handmade Easter eggs.
Here’s what you need for these beautiful Japanese inspired washi eggs:
- Plastic Easter eggs
- Washi paper (or other craft paper)
- Solution of 50% glue (Elmer’s) and 50% water
How to make washi paper eggs:
- Cut your paper into strips. If your paper is thin and opaque like mine, choose Easter eggs in the same color family for each color of paper.
- Prepare the glue/water solution by mixing 50/50 Elmers or other craft glue and water to create a decoupage solution.
- Dip a strip of paper into the glue (use a straw to dunk it) and place it on the egg.
- Tap down the edges gently to smooth the paper on the egg. Use enough strips to cover the egg completely.
- To speed up drying time. Set your oven to 200 degrees and leave on for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and place your eggs inside for a hour. You can do this more than once until your eggs are dry.
Style your eggs with moss in a wire basket for a fresh update to a traditional Easter grass and basket.
Aren’t the colors beautiful?
Think of all the possibilities of colors and patterns with decoupaged eggs!
If you liked these Washi Paper Eggs than you’ll love the DIY Japanese Ribbon Eggs that I made last year! You would probably also love my this chinoiserie egg idea from Stone Gable and these beautiful eggs from Southern Living.
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle