Find easy decorating tips for renters with rental friendly DIY hacks for how to spruce up a rental. Love your temporary home!
Greetings! I’m so glad you stopped by today. Being a retired military spouse and living in rentals overseas and stateside, I have acquired many rental hacks to overcome restrictions and obstacles and creating a space to love right away! In fact, now I almost want things that aren’t perfect or pretty so I can come up with a creative solution! It gets addicting y’all. So stick around and I’ll share with you my favorite eight ways on how spruce up a rental with different examples. And please, if you have any thoughts or questions, I would love to hear from you. Just leave a comment at the bottom of this post.
Decorating Tips for Renters
Eight decorating hacks for your rental home or apartment on a budget.
1. If you are not allowed to change your wall color, make it more personal by adding wall hangings. Hang pictures, mirrors, or if you want something with more impact, frame fabric, or wall paper.
- Option 1. Look for frames and mirrors at thrift stores, spray paint them to match your style.
- Option 2. Frame wrapping or craft paper! Even greeting cards and post cards you have saved look great on a photo wall and particularly pretty in a floating frame. I loved showing off gorgeous washi paper in two large and cheap poster frames!
- Option 3: Hang something unusual on your walls like a collection of dollar store paper fans or cover your wall in a pattern with washi tape.
- Thrift stores, consignment shops and spray paint!!! You may need to invest in a new lampshade. Or try a creative DIY for a light fixture like a floral paper lantern hung right over a pot light with command strips.
3. You have furniture pushed up against the wall. If there is not enough space to float your furniture in the center of the room, add a sofa table between the couch and the wall.
- Again, thrift store finds are fabulous for this. You can use anything as long as it is close to the same height of your couch and a little on the wider side. This will give your room more dimension and a designer look.
On a side note my friends, if you have small children, please do not wait until they are all grown up to have a nice space to live in. You can always have beauty, functionality, durability, and kid friendly in the same space. I promise! Read How to Decorate for You and The Kids.