Create beautiful and colorful faux heirloom pumpkins with this easy tutorial using craft paint and cheap fake pumpkins.
Do you love decorating for Fall but find that beautiful modern seasonal decor can get pricey? Today I’m joining a group of fellow Texas lifestyle bloggers in a fun series called 10 on the tenth. This group of ladies shares creative ideas for under $10 on the tenth of every month and this month our theme is pumpkins! So grab a faux pumpkin or two and check out this easy DIY for faux heirloom pumpkins!
DIY Heirloom Inspired Pumpkins for Under $10
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now we are home owners and have a new set of challenges! I love infusing colorful global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one story 60’s ranch style home.
For this project, I repurposed foam pumpkins into DIY heirloom pumpkins that I have had forever. But I was excited to see very similar 6-inch foam pumpkins at the Dollar Tree this year so I know you can do this project with multiple pumpkins for under $10!
What you need for faux heirloom painted pumpkins:
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
- Dollar Tree or dollar bin foam pumpkins (Or repurpose ones you already have.)
- Large and small craft brushes
- Craft paint
- (Optional) pumpkin stems and hot glue
How to paint foam pumpkins to look like heirloom pumpkins:
First chose a color and have 2-3 variations (shades or tints) of the color. You can achieve this by adding white or black to the paint or just grab 2-3 small craft bottles in the same color family. I’m using a jade heirloom for my example but you can experiment with many different colors! Paint a pumpkin to look heirloom in three steps.
- Paint one coat of a base color if your pumpkin is white or 2-3 coats for an orange pumpkin. Mint green is perfect for a jade heirloom look. Let dry.
- Use a small craft brush and paint thin lines into the curves of the pumpkin with a slightly darker green.
- Take a larger dry craft brush and drag the wet darker paint from bottom to top and top to bottom for dry brushing. Really fill in the grooves and let some paint get outside of the lines. Use the same color or lighten the color a little for the top and bottom of the pumpkin with a dry brush. (Watch the one and half minute video below to see the dry brush technique in action.)
Take your pumpkins a step further by adding real pumpkin stems! Carefully use a Dremel tool to remove the foam stem and then hot glue on a real stem. Fill in any gaps with more hot glue and then paint the base of the stem to the pumpkin covering any exposed hot glue with brown (or stem color) paint.
I went to a pumpkin farm and asked if I could pick up any stems that were laying on the ground and brought home a huge collection in varying sizes. All you have to do is ask!
Make sure to check out what these other creative ladies are sharing for Ten on the 10th and if you are looking for more seasonal DIYs check out my Fall and Holidays page!
Have a great day,
You might also enjoy these posts:
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where eight bloggers are giving a … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s light at the end of … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates
- Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place CardsFind an easy DIY for bottle brush place card holders to use with free printable Christmas place cards on your holiday table this year! We made it! Welcome to Day 12 of A Very Global … Read More about Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place Cards
- An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in MinutesAn easy pink Christmas table setting inspired by French, modern-bohemian style and my grandmother’s Dresden china. Do you use family heirlooms around the holidays? I’ve been gifted my grandmother’s Dresden china recently and couldn’t wait … Read More about An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in Minutes
- How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements Look GoodCreate beautiful artificial flower arrangements with these simple tips. Perfect for a holiday centerpiece or any time of the year. I’m not going to lie, flower arranging has never been my forte. But I’ve learned … Read More about How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements Look Good