Create beautiful and colorful faux heirloom pumpkins with this easy tutorial using craft paint and cheap fake pumpkins.
Do you love decorating for Fall but find that beautiful modern seasonal decor can get pricey? Today I’m joining a group of fellow Texas lifestyle bloggers in a fun series called 10 on the tenth. This group of ladies shares creative ideas for under $10 on the tenth of every month and this month our theme is pumpkins! So grab a faux pumpkin or two and check out this easy DIY for faux heirloom pumpkins!
DIY Heirloom Inspired Pumpkins for Under $10
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now we are home owners and have a new set of challenges! I love infusing colorful global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one story 60’s ranch style home.
For this project, I repurposed foam pumpkins into DIY heirloom pumpkins that I have had forever. But I was excited to see very similar 6-inch foam pumpkins at the Dollar Tree this year so I know you can do this project with multiple pumpkins for under $10!
What you need for faux heirloom painted pumpkins:
*This post is sponsored and contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
- Dollar Tree or dollar bin foam pumpkins (Or repurpose ones you already have.)
- Large and small craft brushes
- Craft paint
- (Optional) pumpkin stems and hot glue
How to paint foam pumpkins to look like heirloom pumpkins:
First chose a color and have 2-3 variations (shades or tints) of the color. You can achieve this by adding white or black to the paint or just grab 2-3 small craft bottles in the same color family. I’m using a jade heirloom for my example but you can experiment with many different colors! Paint a pumpkin to look heirloom in three steps.
- Paint one coat of a base color if your pumpkin is white or 2-3 coats for an orange pumpkin. Mint green is perfect for a jade heirloom look. Let dry.
- Use a small craft brush and paint thin lines into the curves of the pumpkin with a slightly darker green.
- Take a larger dry craft brush and drag the wet darker paint from bottom to top and top to bottom for dry brushing. Really fill in the grooves and let some paint get outside of the lines. Use the same color or lighten the color a little for the top and bottom of the pumpkin with a dry brush. (Watch the one and half minute video below to see the dry brush technique in action.)
Take your pumpkins a step further by adding real pumpkin stems! Carefully use a Dremel tool to remove the foam stem and then hot glue on a real stem. Fill in any gaps with more hot glue and then paint the base of the stem to the pumpkin covering any exposed hot glue with brown (or stem color) paint.
I went to a pumpkin farm and asked if I could pick up any stems that were laying on the ground and brought home a huge collection in varying sizes. All you have to do is ask!
Make sure to check out what these other creative ladies are sharing for Ten on the 10th and if you are looking for more seasonal DIYs check out my Fall and Holidays page!
Have a great day,
You might also enjoy these posts:
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, there is always the … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at week 7 of the One … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when they are also small spaces. … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love and trust. There are some … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to use old decor to add … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle