Create beautiful and colorful faux heirloom pumpkins with this easy tutorial using craft paint and cheap fake pumpkins.
Do you love decorating for Fall but find that beautiful modern seasonal decor can get pricey? Today I’m joining a group of fellow Texas lifestyle bloggers in a fun series called 10 on the tenth. This group of ladies shares creative ideas for under $10 on the tenth of every month and this month our theme is pumpkins! So grab a faux pumpkin or two and check out this easy DIY for faux heirloom pumpkins!
DIY Heirloom Inspired Pumpkins for Under $10
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now we are home owners and have a new set of challenges! I love infusing colorful global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one story 60’s ranch style home.
For this project, I repurposed foam pumpkins into DIY heirloom pumpkins that I have had forever. But I was excited to see very similar 6-inch foam pumpkins at the Dollar Tree this year so I know you can do this project with multiple pumpkins for under $10!
What you need for faux heirloom painted pumpkins:
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
- Dollar Tree or dollar bin foam pumpkins (Or repurpose ones you already have.)
- Large and small craft brushes
- Craft paint
- (Optional) pumpkin stems and hot glue
How to paint foam pumpkins to look like heirloom pumpkins:
First chose a color and have 2-3 variations (shades or tints) of the color. You can achieve this by adding white or black to the paint or just grab 2-3 small craft bottles in the same color family. I’m using a jade heirloom for my example but you can experiment with many different colors! Paint a pumpkin to look heirloom in three steps.
- Paint one coat of a base color if your pumpkin is white or 2-3 coats for an orange pumpkin. Mint green is perfect for a jade heirloom look. Let dry.
- Use a small craft brush and paint thin lines into the curves of the pumpkin with a slightly darker green.
- Take a larger dry craft brush and drag the wet darker paint from bottom to top and top to bottom for dry brushing. Really fill in the grooves and let some paint get outside of the lines. Use the same color or lighten the color a little for the top and bottom of the pumpkin with a dry brush. (Watch the one and half minute video below to see the dry brush technique in action.)
Take your pumpkins a step further by adding real pumpkin stems! Carefully use a Dremel tool to remove the foam stem and then hot glue on a real stem. Fill in any gaps with more hot glue and then paint the base of the stem to the pumpkin covering any exposed hot glue with brown (or stem color) paint.
I went to a pumpkin farm and asked if I could pick up any stems that were laying on the ground and brought home a huge collection in varying sizes. All you have to do is ask!
Make sure to check out what these other creative ladies are sharing for Ten on the 10th and if you are looking for more seasonal DIYs check out my Fall and Holidays page!
Have a great day,
You might also enjoy these posts:
- How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall QuicklyChange your room in an afternoon with a DIY painted arch accent wall and update a piece of furniture in the same color for a big impact! *This post is sponsored by KILZ® Brand but … Read More about How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall Quickly
- Brilliant Colors of Fall Home TourWelcome to our brilliant colors of Fall home tour where you’ll find colorful and eclectic seasonal decor with touches of autumn. Doesn’t the change of season excite you? It is always so fun to anticipate … Read More about Brilliant Colors of Fall Home Tour
- Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood BoardA colorful and eclectic mood board showcasing top flooring trends using my favorite Carpet One Floor & Home products. This post is sponsored by Carpet One Floor & Home but all thoughts and opinions are … Read More about Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood Board
- How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins CenterpieceTransform dollar store pumpkins into a beautiful Copper Pumpkins centerpiece for Fall with this quick and easy DIY. Do you love decorating with dollar store items but wish you could make them look higher end … Read More about How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins Centerpiece
- Beautiful Fall Outdoor Wreaths You’ll Fall in Love WithIs it Autumn yet? Find a mix of beautiful and easy DIY Fall outdoor wreaths and my favorite online store picks for beautiful modern wreaths! Aren’t the change of seasons this best? Each one feels … Read More about Beautiful Fall Outdoor Wreaths You’ll Fall in Love With