Create beautiful artificial flower arrangements with these simple tips. Perfect for a holiday centerpiece or any time of the year.
I’m not going to lie, flower arranging has never been my forte. But I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to creating gorgeous artificial floral arrangements throughout the years.
A Christmas Artificial Flower Arrangement
Welcome to Day 10 of A Very Global Christmas series where Casa Watkins Living and I have been sharing 12 globally inspired Christmas ideas every year. Unfortunately, my dear friend had a family emergency so I’m linking to some of her fabulous previous DIYs at the bottom of the post.
Start with a show-stopping container! I gifted myself this gorgeous Greacen bust named Glenda from Anthropologie earlier this Fall. I knew using more of an unusual piece like this for a vase would come in handy. Pedestal vases are another great option.
Use a piece of Styrofoam to keep artificial floral stems in place. For so long I would just stick stems in a container and call it a day. This method totally works if you are just using only one type of stem and putting them together. But for more sculptural artificial flower arrangements, you want to use a piece of styrofoam the size of your container/vase. And if you are using a shallow container, the styrofoam can reach all the way to the top.
Select 3-4 varieties of stems/florals in various sizes. If you are unsure about mixing colors stick to one color variety or use more greenery. I purchased a few large pink flowers on sale from Joannes and dug through my Christmas bins for dollar store pinecone stems and red berries.
Start with the largest greenery or filler and bend and shape stems and create a triangle shape on the diagonal (like the image below). Stick them into the styrofoam.
Once you have a full shape you like, put in the accent stems. Leftover pampas grass looks like feathers in my unusual holiday arrangement and adds a bit of drama and height.
Only 3 large pink flowers were needed to take it to the next level. It is really important not to underestimate the importance of green stems with your flower arranging! They are great for hiding naked floral stems and making the arrangement look complete.
I adore how this particular arrangement looks like a fancy holiday hat for the lady and she fits perfectly with my abstract landscape wall mural! She also continues my French, modern-bohemian style Christmas decor this year.
Starting with something a bit more simple and of course, practice and a few good tips make artificial flower arrangements look beautiful and a breeze! Check out additional tips for floral arranging in this table centerpiece post and small silver dish display.
Head over to the Winter holidays, DIYs, and decor page for more articles and resources!
Find more globally inspired Christmas decorating ideas from Casa Watkins Living below!
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting
Click over to the Eclectic Winter and Christmas Decorating Ideas page for more holiday inspiration!