Create beautiful artificial flower arrangements with these simple tips. Perfect for a holiday centerpiece or any time of the year.
I’m not going to lie, flower arranging has never been my forte. But I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to creating gorgeous artificial floral arrangements throughout the years.
A Christmas Artificial Flower Arrangement
Welcome to Day 10 of A Very Global Christmas series where Casa Watkins Living and I have been sharing 12 globally inspired Christmas ideas every year. Unfortunately, my dear friend had a family emergency so I’m linking to some of her fabulous previous DIYs at the bottom of the post.
Start with a show-stopping container! I gifted myself this gorgeous Greacen bust named Glenda from Anthropologie earlier this Fall. I knew using more of an unusual piece like this for a vase would come in handy. Pedestal vases are another great option.
Use a piece of Styrofoam to keep artificial floral stems in place. For so long I would just stick stems in a container and call it a day. This method totally works if you are just using only one type of stem and putting them together. But for more sculptural artificial flower arrangements, you want to use a piece of styrofoam the size of your container/vase. And if you are using a shallow container, the styrofoam can reach all the way to the top.
Select 3-4 varieties of stems/florals in various sizes. If you are unsure about mixing colors stick to one color variety or use more greenery. I purchased a few large pink flowers on sale from Joannes and dug through my Christmas bins for dollar store pinecone stems and red berries.
Start with the largest greenery or filler and bend and shape stems and create a triangle shape on the diagonal (like the image below). Stick them into the styrofoam.
Once you have a full shape you like, put in the accent stems. Leftover pampas grass looks like feathers in my unusual holiday arrangement and adds a bit of drama and height.
Only 3 large pink flowers were needed to take it to the next level. It is really important not to underestimate the importance of green stems with your flower arranging! They are great for hiding naked floral stems and making the arrangement look complete.
I adore how this particular arrangement looks like a fancy holiday hat for the lady and she fits perfectly with my abstract landscape wall mural! She also continues my French, modern-bohemian style Christmas decor this year.
Starting with something a bit more simple and of course, practice and a few good tips make artificial flower arrangements look beautiful and a breeze! Check out additional tips for floral arranging in this table centerpiece post and small silver dish display.
Find more globally inspired Christmas decorating ideas from Casa Watkins Living below!
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates
- Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place CardsFind an easy DIY for bottle brush place card holders to use with free printable Christmas place cards on your holiday table this year! We made it! Welcome to Day … Read More about Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place Cards
- An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in MinutesAn easy pink Christmas table setting inspired by French, modern-bohemian style and my grandmother’s Dresden china. Do you use family heirlooms around the holidays? I’ve been gifted my grandmother’s Dresden … Read More about An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in Minutes
Click over to the Eclectic Winter and Christmas Decorating Ideas page for more holiday inspiration!