Learn how to make beautiful custom curtains without sewing with an easy tutorial including step by step instructions and video.
This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I fight with my sewing machine every time I use it. It usually wins. Which is why I love to use no-sew options for projects. I’m going to show you how easy it is to create custom window treatments and hem curtains without sewing and a way to create a beautiful pinch and pleat look without the hassle. I’ll be using Smith Honig’s beautiful line of upholstery weight fabric.
How to Make Curtains without Sewing
Welcome to the One Room Challenge: Week 4 update! I’m making over our master bedroom with ensuite bathroom in 8 weeks along with many other feature designers and guest participants. I’ve shared how easy it is to create a colorful bedroom mood board, how to install pre-pasted wallpaper by yourself, and finding the right ceiling fan for your bedroom so far. Now let’s get started on gorgeous no-sew curtains.
Materials needed for custom curtains:
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
- Upholstery weight fabric – SmithHonig’s Shibori Hyacinth
- Fusible Tape – hemming tape for curtains
- Tape Measure
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Scissors
- Trim in a Contrasting Color – Fringe Market
- Hot Glue Gun and Sticks – my favorite one
Watch the full tutorial!
How to Make No-Sew Custom Curtains
- Measure your window length and width. Window treatments look best hung close to the ceiling and down to the floor. Allow for extra width to make curtains look fuller and windows wider. You may be able to use the width of the fabric to save you cuts.
- Add 2 inches to the length and width for hem allowance.
- Layout fabric upside down, measure, and mark with a pencil. Fold up the bottom edge of the fabric to the marks and secure with straight pins. Cut across using the folded edge as a guide.
- Lay your fabric cut over the remaining fabric and pull up the cut piece until the pattern lines up with the piece underneath. You want two identical pieces! Use straight pins to keep the patterns in place and cut your second piece. Do the same thing at the bottom with the excess fabric.
How to hem curtains without sewing:
- Start with one edge of your fabric and fold over 1/4″ to 1/2″ and iron to make a crease.
- Fold over one more time with the fusible tape between the folded hem pieces. Hold in place with straight pins.
- Iron the hem.
- Flip over the fabric and iron the other side to ensure the fusible tape has completely fused.
- You can also gently pull the hem open to check that the tape as melted. If not iron again.
- Keep the straight pins in place until the fabric as cooled and them remove. Repeat on all sides of the curtain panels.
Add embellishment to your curtain panels with trim and a faux pinch and pleat:
- Add trim by cutting a piece of decorative ribbon or fringe the hemmed length of the curtain plus two inches. Hot glue the trim wrapped around the top edge of your curtain panel one inch down on the backside. This will give nice detail and prevent fraying or unraveling. Flip the curtain over and glue down the trim all the way down the curtain. You can hold in place with straight pins and work a small section at a time to make it easier.
- Create a pinch and pleat with curtain clips by folding in two small folds of fabric at the top edge and hold together with a clip. Repeat until you have all curtain rings on it and hang!
Clip a sheer curtain behind your curtain panel to make it thicker.
I will be using the same fabric with different trim for a DIY Bedskirt and am thinking about a fabric wrapped cornice box for the mural wall window.
Isn’t the Shibori Hyacinth print beautiful with the green trim and the rest of the colors in the room?
Time to tackle the rest of the to-do list for the One Room Challenge! A huge thanks to all of the sponsors that are helping me create a beautiful bedroom and bathroom.
BATHROOM AND BEDROOM PLANS
Bathroom to-do list:
- Update light fixture-minimum remove shades and put in decorative bulbs, maybe turn the fixture around.
- Build a floating wood frame for art.
- Remove old backsplash, repair, and paint.
- Put in ceiling tin as the backsplash.
- Replace faucet with modern black faucet.
- Paint the toilet handle black.
- Build and install a window cornice box.
- Remove shower door, repair, and fill holes.
- Sew custom shower curtain and hang.
- Add a new bath mat and tassel.
Bedroom to-do list:
Swap dressers and remove bookcase for a bigger space. Replace ceiling fan (and two additional bedroom fans). Repair and paint the walls and molding white. Takedown bed and use the frame with attached DIY legs for a new bed.
- Build and install a new upholstered headboard with green velvet fabric.
Sew and hang curtain panels.
- Build and install a window cornice box.
- Sew a bed skirt.
Add new bedding.
- Install gallery wall around tv.
- Hang statement piece above the tall chest and replace pulls.
- Style the room.
- My CoSchedule Review as a Blogger and Favorite FeaturesLooking for help with online scheduling? Check out my CoSchedule review as a blogger and what three features I use to get my posts seen. Please note that this review … Read More about How to Make Custom Curtains Without Sewing
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate … Read More about How to Make Custom Curtains Without Sewing
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been … Read More about How to Make Custom Curtains Without Sewing
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a … Read More about How to Make Custom Curtains Without Sewing
- How to Make Custom Curtains Without SewingLearn how to make beautiful custom curtains without sewing with an easy tutorial including step by step instructions and video. This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are … Read More about How to Make Custom Curtains Without Sewing
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.