Try An Easy Method for Painting Bathroom Cabinets this Weekend
Refresh a small bathroom on a budget by painting the bathroom cabinet and other simple ideas that you can do in a weekend!
*This post is sponsored by Velvet Finishes, but all thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Up to Date Interiors possible.
What do you do with a builder-grade bathroom when you have a small budget? I have faced this challenge many times! Today I’m giving the scoop on my most recent one with ideas for a stylish yet budget-friendly bathroom makeover. Read on to see how I spent less than $150 for this dramatic transformation.
Painting the Bathroom Cabinet without Sanding
This is the first master on-suite bathroom we’ve had in the last twelve years. It’s super small but I’m happy to have one. Here is what it looked like when we moved in five months ago.
The shower is to the left and is a pretty good size! The space works just fine for my husband and me. After living in Japan, nothing in this house is too small. Except maybe my closet…;)
How to Decorate a Small Bathroom on a Budget
Here is what I did and what you can do to maximize a small bathroom and give it a facelift!
- Opt for open shelves for wall storage to keep the space light and airy.
The first thing I did was remove the cabinet over the toilet. You saw what a struggle it was if you’ve been following my Instagram stories. 😉 But I won the fight and now have a focal wall for art. There’s a small space on the opposite wall that is better suited for wall storage.
- Small spaces are perfect for darker walls. Try painting your focal wall in a jewel tone, moody color, or use a dramatic wallpaper.
The accent wall was painted green and the remaining walls a bright white. That’s a perk of a small space; it doesn’t take much time to complete! Use a one-coat coverage paint to make the job even faster.
How to Redo the Bathroom Vanity Cabinet
- Paint your cabinet and replace the pulls for a DIY bathroom vanity makeover that won’t break the bank.
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I might make a small commission.
The Best Paint for Bathroom Cabinets
Our bathroom cabinet is laminate and was transformed with Velvet Finishes “handsome”. This is my favorite paint for furniture and with its simple 3 steps is very easy to use and for all types of surfaces. The results are always amazing and the blue looks beautiful with inexpensive new gold pulls. Learn about the entire process with this furniture paint in this article! Here’s a quick run down on how to paint a laminate cabinet without sanding using the Velvet Finishes three-step system.
- Wipe down with a damp cloth to clean or just spray Ready, let sit a few minutes, then wipe. Your furniture is ready to be painted! This great product has reduced the need for using primer has it strips away glossy or shiny surfaces like laminte so your paint can adheer to it.
- Shake your paint container or use a stir stick to mix the paint to an even consistancy. Paint your first coat of Colour which is a low VOC and non-toxic, water-based latex paint. Use 2-3 coats on laminate cabinets.
- Wait for a couple of hours (or overnight) and then apply Velvet Finishes‘ Protect topcoat with a brush or sponge brush for a satin finish. I absolutely love this stuff! It protects against dings and scuffs and if the surface is used often I highly recommend it.
The jewel tones in the bathroom with pops of gold make it look so much more lux.
See! That’s me. Happy. 🙂
- Update light fixtures and bathroom accessories with spray paint.
Vanity Light Makeover
Now this one can be tricky because there’s nothing worse than a bad spray paint job on a light fixture or other metal item. Follow these steps for a sure way of updating a light.
- Remove the light fixture from the wall. Make sure to turn off the breaker first or hire an electrician if you don’t feel comfortable doing this. Take off the shades and tape socket openings.
- Spray paint a metallic color (I used gold) in light coats. Use a paint or craft brush to very lightly create brush strokes in some spots. This is great if you have any drips to cover!
- To create an aged effect, lightly “dust” the metallic color with a flat black. Chalkboard paint in a spray can is perfect for this.
Painting the other bathroom accessories with black chalkboard spray paint and then a coat of polyurethane compliments the new gold pulls and updated light fixture.
- Dress your small bathroom like a hotel for a luxurious appeal using white towels and a hotel towel bar.
The installation of a gold towel bar with two shelves was my big-ticket item at $79 but adds a boutique hotel style and much-needed storage. I could have done something like my DIY bamboo ladder for under $10 and small profile but I really wanted to add more glam.
Here is the sliver of the wall by the bathroom door before.
Here is the result. The white walls with a pop of gold, greenery, and a bench create a lovely corner with practical storage and seating.
A shot from the other side showing the towel rack in the mirrored vanity reflection. It looks so stunning with the green walls.
- Use vertical space when hanging bathroom wall art or a collection of items on open shelves to make the room appear taller.
The future plan is to have a gallery wall of oil paintings and portraits that will take time to curate. I had plenty of items “shopping the house” to give the bathroom an eclectic global glam look for now. Most of the items were picked up in other countries so that makes it fun for my family to see!
And that, my friend, is how I made over our bathroom in two afternoons. What a difference right? Here’s a resource list so you can easily recreate the look.
Velvet Finishes Paint | Gold Pulls | Valspar Paint | Gold Towel Rack | Minted Tropical Art Prints | Macrame Wall Hanging | Planter Basket | Small Wood Bench | Hanging Faux Plant
I love these tips for budget friendly bathroom makeovers from my friens at 2 Bees in a Pod to makeover your bathroom quickly! You can also find my favorite colorful bathroom shower curtains and more bathroom refresh ideas on a budget in this article.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Have you done any recent weekend projects? Leave me a comment and let’s chat.
- Learn how to find your design style with simple tips and tricks!A guide for “how to find my design style” in your house with designer tips and tricks that will help you be confident with decorating. Do you know what looks…
- Pretty and Practical: Simple Storage Ideas for Any SpaceLearn how to incorporate beautiful, creative, and simple storage solutions that elevate both form and function in your home. Are you tired of cluttered and disorganized spaces in your home,…
- Making Floral Arrangements Easy and Beautiful with Simple DIY MethodsDon’t wilt under pressure – find simple DIY methods for making floral arrangements beautiful with fake or real flowers. Who doesn’t love flowers? They are the icing on the cake…
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and create a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! …
- Bring the Outdoors In: Decorate with These Beautiful Bird PrintablesJoin over 2,000 subscribers and receive weekly newsletters, exclusive offers, and monthly freebies like free bird printables art straight to your inbox. My free bird printable art is a great…
Hi Kathy, I love the jewel tones in this small bathroom! It’s so eye-catching, I had to read this article. You’ve inspired me to do something “bold” in my bathroom too. Congrats on your move back to the US and new home!
That’s so sweet Jenny. Totally made my day and thank you!
It’s so pretty Kathy!! I love the green and blue together so much!
Hey, Kathy, I have several nice clocks that you might use for accent pieces. Contact me and I’ll send you photos. I love your story about the bathroom.
Thank you! Would like to see more of your clocks!
Where did you get that gorgeous gold towel rack?
Hey Rosa! I found it on amazon but sadly it’s no longer available. I wanted a second one for our other bathroom… 🙁
Hi there! I love the towel rack and am having trouble finding one similar! Are you able to share the link or brand? Thank you!
Hi lisa! I purchased it from Amazon and shortly after it stopped being available. There are similar ones in silver and chrome but none in a warm metallic. 🙁 I would try West Elm or Crate and Barrel maybe? Also World Market usually has brass items.