Refresh a small bathroom on a budget with a vanity makeover DIY and other simple ideas that you can do on a weekend!
*This post is sponsored by Velvet Finishes, but all thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make Up to Date Interiors possible.
What do you do with a builder-grade bathroom when you have a small budget? I have faced this challenge many times! Today I’m giving the scoop on my most recent one with ideas for a stylish yet budget-friendly bathroom makeover. I spent less than $150 for this dramatic transformation!
Small Bathroom Makeover with a Vanity Cabinet and Paint
This is our first master on-suite bathroom we’ve had in the last twelve years. It’s super small but I’m happy to have one. Here is what it looked like when we moved in five months ago.
The shower is to the left and is a pretty good size! The space works just fine for my husband and me. After living in Japan, nothing in this house is too small. Except maybe my closet…;)
How to Decorate a Small Bathroom on a Budget
Here is what I did and what you can do to maximize a small bathroom and give it a facelift!
- Opt for open shelves for wall storage to keep the space light and airy.
The first thing I did was remove the cabinet over the toilet. You saw what a struggle it was if you’ve been following my Instagram stories. 😉 But I won the fight and now have a focal wall for art. There’s a small space on the opposite wall that is better suited for wall storage.
- Small spaces are perfect for darker walls. Try painting your focal wall in a jewel tone, moody color, or use a dramatic wallpaper.
The accent wall was painted green and the remaining walls a bright white. That’s a perk of a small space; it doesn’t take much time to complete! Use a one-coat coverage paint to make the job even faster.
Bathroom Vanity Makeover DIY
- Paint your vanity for an inexpensive cabinet makeover and replace the pulls.
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I might make a small commission.
Our bathroom cabinet was transformed with Velvet Finishes “handsome”. This is my favorite paint for furniture and with its simple 3 steps is very easy to use. The results are always amazing and the blue looks beautiful with inexpensive new gold pulls. Learn about the entire process with this furniture paint in this article!
The jewel tones in the bathroom with pops of gold make it look so much more lux.
See! That’s me. Happy. 🙂
- Update light fixtures and bathroom accessories with spray paint.
Vanity Light Makeover
Now this one can be tricky because there’s nothing worse than a bad spray paint job on a light fixture or other metal item. Follow these steps for a sure way of updating a light.
- Remove the light fixture from the wall. Make sure to turn off the breaker first or hire an electrician if you don’t feel comfortable doing this. Take off the shades and tape socket openings.
- Spray paint a metallic color (I used gold) in light coats. Use a paint or craft brush to very lightly create brush strokes in some spots. This is great if you have any drips to cover!
- To create an aged effect, lightly “dust” the metallic color with a flat black. Chalkboard paint in a spray can is perfect for this.
Painting the other bathroom accessories with black chalkboard spray paint and then a coat of polyurethane compliments the new gold pulls and updated light fixture.
- Dress your small bathroom like a hotel for a luxurious appeal using white towels and a hotel towel bar.
The installation of a gold towel bar with two shelves was my big-ticket item at $79 but adds a boutique hotel style and much-needed storage. I could have done something like my DIY bamboo ladder for under $10 and small profile but I really wanted to add more glam.
Here is the sliver of wall by the bathroom door before.
Here is the result. The white walls with a pop of gold, greenery, and a bench create a lovely corner with practical storage and seating.
A shot from the other side showing the towel rack in the mirrored vanity reflection. It looks so stunning with the green walls.
- Use vertical space when hanging bathroom wall art or a collection of items on open shelves to make the room appear taller.
The future plan is to have a gallery wall of oil paintings and portraits which will take time to curate. I had plenty of items “shopping the house” to give the bathroom an eclectic global glam look for now. Most of the items were picked up in other countries so that makes it fun for my family to see!
And that, my friend, is how I made over our bathroom in two afternoons. What a difference right? Here’s a resource list so you can easily recreate the look.
Use these small bathroom makeover tips and shopping guide to makeover your bathroom quickly! You can also find my favorite colorful bathroom curtains and more bathroom refresh ideas on a budget in this article.
Join me on Instagram for behind the scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Have you done any recent weekend projects? Leave me a comment and let’s chat.
- Easy DIY Moss Easter Eggs with Plastic EggsTransform cheap plastic eggs into beautiful moss Easter eggs with this easy DIY. Part of A Very Global Easter series. Are you looking for a creative way to transform cheap … Read More about Easy DIY Moss Easter Eggs with Plastic Eggs
- Make this Easy White Easter Tree in MinutesCreate a beautiful and modern white Easter tree in under 5 minutes with this simple DIY using plastic white branches. When do you start thinking about Spring? Is it that … Read More about Make this Easy White Easter Tree in Minutes
- How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning LookFind out how easy it is to add trim to curtains and other simple tips for making store-bought curtains look high-end and custom! This post is sponsored by SmithHonig and … Read More about How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning Look
- A Beautiful and Quick Laundry Room Makeover on a BudgetHow a small and dark laundry room was transformed in two days using materials I already had on hand to create a beautiful and elegant space. Check out this laundry … Read More about A Beautiful and Quick Laundry Room Makeover on a Budget
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint