Say goodbye to cheesy store-bought decor. Create a gold-leaf shamrock art and polymer clay horseshoe for elegant seasonal decor that you’ll be proud of!
I just shared our St Patrick’s Day home tour along with other bloggers and today I’m back to share some elegant but easy DIYs for St Patricks Day! Don’t you hate that store-bought seasonal decor can look so campy? I used common craft supplies to make a DIY Clay Horseshoe and a Gold Shamrock art piece that fit into my decor beautifully.
A Gold Clay Horseshoe and Gold Leaf Shamrock for Modern and Elegant Decor
It’s not a four leaf clover but it will at least bring prettiness to your holiday style!
Here’s what you need for a gold-leaf shamrock:
- White cardstock or craft paper
- Gold leaf
- Glue Stick
- Empty picture frame
How to make shamrock art:
- First, use the glass from the picture frame to trace a rectangle onto the white paper.
- Apply glue to one side of the piece of paper and gently lay a sheet of the gold leaf down. Lightly tap down the gold leaf into place. Use a glove to prevent fingerprints (optional).
- Turn the paper over and trace or freehand a shamrock shape.
- Cut out carefully.
- Use a glue stick to attach the gold leaf shamrock to a piece of white cardstock and frame!
Style your framed shamrock with green and gold for extra St Patrick’s Day points!
The second “lucky” DIY is a gold horseshoe. I decided to use some leftover polymer clay to make this fun and easy DIY.
Here’s what you need for a DIY clay horseshoe:
- Polymer clay (and rolling pin)
- Horseshoe print out (optional for tracing into the clay)
- Craft knife
- Gold spray paint
How to make a gold clay horseshoe:
- Roll out a piece of polymer clay until you have a good-sized piece that is roughly 1/4″ thick.
- Print out a horseshoe template or freehand the shape and cut out with a craft knife.
- Use the bottom of a paintbrush or other round utensil to make round indentations into the horseshoe. An additional piece of clay shaped like a rectangle can be added to the top of the horseshoe to make it look more authentic.
- Bake as directed and spray paint gold. (Two light coats of paint on each side.)
I love the gold with a pop with green, black, and white for St Patrick’s Day coffee table styling!
Have you tried making seasonal decor more modern with a DIY? I would love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and let’s chat!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall QuicklyChange your room in an afternoon with a DIY painted arch accent wall and update a piece of furniture in the same color for a big impact! *This post is … Read More about How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall Quickly
- Brilliant Colors of Fall Home TourWelcome to our brilliant colors of Fall home tour where you’ll find colorful and eclectic seasonal decor with touches of autumn. Doesn’t the change of season excite you? It is … Read More about Brilliant Colors of Fall Home Tour
- Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood BoardA colorful and eclectic mood board showcasing top flooring trends using my favorite Carpet One Floor & Home products. This post is sponsored by Carpet One Floor & Home but … Read More about Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood Board
- How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins CenterpieceTransform dollar store pumpkins into a beautiful Copper Pumpkins centerpiece for Fall with this quick and easy DIY. Do you love decorating with dollar store items but wish you could … Read More about How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins Centerpiece
- Beautiful Fall Outdoor Wreaths You’ll Fall in Love WithIs it Autumn yet? Find a mix of beautiful and easy DIY Fall outdoor wreaths and my favorite online store picks for beautiful modern wreaths! Aren’t the change of seasons … Read More about Beautiful Fall Outdoor Wreaths You’ll Fall in Love With