Say goodbye to cheesy store-bought decor. Create a gold-leaf shamrock art and polymer clay horseshoe for elegant seasonal decor that you’ll be proud of!
I just shared our St Patrick’s Day home tour along with other bloggers and today I’m back to share some elegant but easy DIYs for St Patricks Day! Don’t you hate that store-bought seasonal decor can look so campy? I used common craft supplies to make a DIY Clay Horseshoe and a Gold Shamrock art piece that fit into my decor beautifully.
A Gold Clay Horseshoe and Gold Leaf Shamrock for Modern and Elegant Decor
It’s not a four leaf clover but it will at least bring prettiness to your holiday style!
Here’s what you need for a gold-leaf shamrock:
- White cardstock or craft paper
- Gold leaf
- Glue Stick
- Empty picture frame
How to make shamrock art:
- First, use the glass from the picture frame to trace a rectangle onto the white paper.
- Apply glue to one side of the piece of paper and gently lay a sheet of the gold leaf down. Lightly tap down the gold leaf into place. Use a glove to prevent fingerprints (optional).
- Turn the paper over and trace or freehand a shamrock shape.
- Cut out carefully.
- Use a glue stick to attach the gold leaf shamrock to a piece of white cardstock and frame!
Style your framed shamrock with green and gold for extra St Patrick’s Day points!
The second “lucky” DIY is a gold horseshoe. I decided to use some leftover polymer clay to make this fun and easy DIY.
Here’s what you need for a DIY clay horseshoe:
- Polymer clay (and rolling pin)
- Horseshoe print out (optional for tracing into the clay)
- Craft knife
- Gold spray paint
How to make a gold clay horseshoe:
- Roll out a piece of polymer clay until you have a good-sized piece that is roughly 1/4″ thick.
- Print out a horseshoe template or freehand the shape and cut out with a craft knife.
- Use the bottom of a paintbrush or other round utensil to make round indentations into the horseshoe. An additional piece of clay shaped like a rectangle can be added to the top of the horseshoe to make it look more authentic.
- Bake as directed and spray paint gold. (Two light coats of paint on each side.)
I love the gold with a pop with green, black, and white for St Patrick’s Day coffee table styling!
Have you tried making seasonal decor more modern with a DIY? I would love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and let’s chat!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle