Say goodbye to cheesy store-bought decor. Create a gold-leaf shamrock art and polymer clay horseshoe for elegant seasonal decor that you’ll be proud of!
I just shared our St Patrick’s Day home tour along with other bloggers and today I’m back to share some elegant but easy DIYs for St Patricks Day! Don’t you hate that store-bought seasonal decor can look so campy? I used common craft supplies to make a DIY Clay Horseshoe and a Gold Shamrock art piece that fit into my decor beautifully.
A Gold Clay Horseshoe and Gold Leaf Shamrock for Modern and Elegant Decor
It’s not a four leaf clover but it will at least bring prettiness to your holiday style!
Here’s what you need for a gold-leaf shamrock:
- White cardstock or craft paper
- Gold leaf
- Glue Stick
- Empty picture frame
How to make shamrock art:
- First, use the glass from the picture frame to trace a rectangle onto the white paper.
- Apply glue to one side of the piece of paper and gently lay a sheet of the gold leaf down. Lightly tap down the gold leaf into place. Use a glove to prevent fingerprints (optional).
- Turn the paper over and trace or freehand a shamrock shape.
- Cut out carefully.
- Use a glue stick to attach the gold leaf shamrock to a piece of white cardstock and frame!
Style your framed shamrock with green and gold for extra St Patrick’s Day points!
The second “lucky” DIY is a gold horseshoe. I decided to use some leftover polymer clay to make this fun and easy DIY.
Here’s what you need for a DIY clay horseshoe:
- Polymer clay (and rolling pin)
- Horseshoe print out (optional for tracing into the clay)
- Craft knife
- Gold spray paint
How to make a gold clay horseshoe:
- Roll out a piece of polymer clay until you have a good-sized piece that is roughly 1/4″ thick.
- Print out a horseshoe template or freehand the shape and cut out with a craft knife.
- Use the bottom of a paintbrush or other round utensil to make round indentations into the horseshoe. An additional piece of clay shaped like a rectangle can be added to the top of the horseshoe to make it look more authentic.
- Bake as directed and spray paint gold. (Two light coats of paint on each side.)
I love the gold with a pop with green, black, and white for St Patrick’s Day coffee table styling!
Have you tried making seasonal decor more modern with a DIY? I would love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and let’s chat!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting