Say goodbye to cheesy store-bought decor. Create a gold-leaf shamrock art and polymer clay horseshoe for elegant seasonal decor that you’ll be proud of!
I just shared our St Patrick’s Day home tour along with other bloggers and today I’m back to share some elegant but easy DIYs for St Patricks Day! Don’t you hate that store-bought seasonal decor can look so campy? I used common craft supplies to make a DIY Clay Horseshoe and a Gold Shamrock art piece that fit into my decor beautifully.
A Gold Clay Horseshoe and Gold Leaf Shamrock for Modern and Elegant Decor
It’s not a four leaf clover but it will at least bring prettiness to your holiday style!
Here’s what you need for a gold-leaf shamrock:
- White cardstock or craft paper
- Gold leaf
- Glue Stick
- Empty picture frame
How to make shamrock art:
- First, use the glass from the picture frame to trace a rectangle onto the white paper.
- Apply glue to one side of the piece of paper and gently lay a sheet of the gold leaf down. Lightly tap down the gold leaf into place. Use a glove to prevent fingerprints (optional).
- Turn the paper over and trace or freehand a shamrock shape.
- Cut out carefully.
- Use a glue stick to attach the gold leaf shamrock to a piece of white cardstock and frame!
Style your framed shamrock with green and gold for extra St Patrick’s Day points!
The second “lucky” DIY is a gold horseshoe. I decided to use some leftover polymer clay to make this fun and easy DIY.
Here’s what you need for a DIY clay horseshoe:
- Polymer clay (and rolling pin)
- Horseshoe print out (optional for tracing into the clay)
- Craft knife
- Gold spray paint
How to make a gold clay horseshoe:
- Roll out a piece of polymer clay until you have a good-sized piece that is roughly 1/4″ thick.
- Print out a horseshoe template or freehand the shape and cut out with a craft knife.
- Use the bottom of a paintbrush or other round utensil to make round indentations into the horseshoe. An additional piece of clay shaped like a rectangle can be added to the top of the horseshoe to make it look more authentic.
- Bake as directed and spray paint gold. (Two light coats of paint on each side.)
I love the gold with a pop with green, black, and white for St Patrick’s Day coffee table styling!
Have you tried making seasonal decor more modern with a DIY? I would love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and let’s chat!
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- My CoSchedule Review as a Blogger and Favorite FeaturesLooking for help with online scheduling? Check out my CoSchedule review as a blogger and what three features I use to get my posts seen. Please note that this review … Read More about Make a Clay Horseshoe and Gold Shamrock Art for St Patrick’s Day
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate … Read More about Make a Clay Horseshoe and Gold Shamrock Art for St Patrick’s Day
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been … Read More about Make a Clay Horseshoe and Gold Shamrock Art for St Patrick’s Day
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a … Read More about Make a Clay Horseshoe and Gold Shamrock Art for St Patrick’s Day
- How to Make Custom Curtains Without SewingLearn how to make beautiful custom curtains without sewing with an easy tutorial including step by step instructions and video. This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are … Read More about Make a Clay Horseshoe and Gold Shamrock Art for St Patrick’s Day
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.