Looking for an easy gift idea? Try a set of decoupage coasters with globally inspired patterns and dollar store supplies.
Don’t you love receiving a beautiful and thoughtful gift that is handcrafted or from a small boutique store? Today I have an easy gift idea that is perfect for the friend that has everything or a creative hostess gift to go with that bottle of wine. Bonus, it’s much cheaper than it’s store-bought counterparts!
DIY Decoupage Coasters
Welcome back to A Very Global Christmas series with my good friend Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living. We partner up twice a year for a globally inspired series to bring you ideas for the holidays. Today is Day Eight and all about easy entertaining and gift ideas. Scroll to the bottom to see some of Stephanie’s beautiful ideas.
To make these global-inspired decoupage coasters you will need:
- Coasters: I used the Dollar Tree coasters
- Global pattern: Leftover wallpaper/fabric or wallpaper/fabric samples, saved Christmas cards, scrapbooking paper, wrapping paper. The options are endless! I have peel and stick wallpaper samples from Smith Honig leftover from a furniture project that are perfect for this DIY.
- Adhesive: Unless you are using a peel and stick material you will need decoupage paste or 50/50 glue and water.
- Scissors and/or craft knife
- Protective Finish: Clear coat of spray paint or polyurethane
How to make decoupage coasters:
Place a coaster on the underside of the material you are using. Trace the edges and cut out.
Apply the global-pattern material to the coaster! Use a craft knife to cut closer to the edges if you are using something like a peel and stick wallpaper or decal.
To decoupage the material, apply the glue and water mixture of decoupage paste to the coaster, place the material on top then add one more layer of decoupage. The material may wrinkle but will dry flat!
Add an extra layer of protection to paper with a protective finish.
Aren’t they darling! And so much better than the original coaster. I adore the global tribal patterns on them. You can see how I used one of the wallpaper selections on the back of a display cabinet. It looks so great!
Make sure to check out these fabulous entertaining ideas from Stephanie!
We have four more days left of the series. See you soon!
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle