Looking for an easy gift idea? Try a set of decoupage coasters with globally inspired patterns and dollar store supplies.
Don’t you love receiving a beautiful and thoughtful gift that is handcrafted or from a small boutique store? Today I have an easy gift idea that is perfect for the friend that has everything or a creative hostess gift to go with that bottle of wine. Bonus, it’s much cheaper than it’s store-bought counterparts!
DIY Decoupage Coasters
Welcome back to A Very Global Christmas series with my good friend Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living. We partner up twice a year for a globally inspired series to bring you ideas for the holidays. Today is Day Eight and all about easy entertaining and gift ideas. Scroll to the bottom to see some of Stephanie’s beautiful ideas.
To make these global-inspired decoupage coasters you will need:
- Coasters: I used the Dollar Tree coasters
- Global pattern: Leftover wallpaper/fabric or wallpaper/fabric samples, saved Christmas cards, scrapbooking paper, wrapping paper. The options are endless! I have peel and stick wallpaper samples from Smith Honig leftover from a furniture project that are perfect for this DIY.
- Adhesive: Unless you are using a peel and stick material you will need decoupage paste or 50/50 glue and water.
- Scissors and/or craft knife
- Protective Finish: Clear coat of spray paint or polyurethane
How to make decoupage coasters:
Place a coaster on the underside of the material you are using. Trace the edges and cut out.
Apply the global-pattern material to the coaster! Use a craft knife to cut closer to the edges if you are using something like a peel and stick wallpaper or decal.
To decoupage the material, apply the glue and water mixture of decoupage paste to the coaster, place the material on top then add one more layer of decoupage. The material may wrinkle but will dry flat!
Add an extra layer of protection to paper with a protective finish.
Aren’t they darling! And so much better than the original coaster. I adore the global tribal patterns on them. You can see how I used one of the wallpaper selections on the back of a display cabinet. It looks so great!
Make sure to check out these fabulous entertaining ideas from Stephanie!
We have four more days left of the series. See you soon!
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting