Find ideas for updating a bathroom on a budget with DIYs that you can do yourself and my One Room Challenge week 2 progress.
*This is a sponsored post with brands that I love and trust.
Hello, my friend! Most of my big projects like the One Room Challenge have a slow start. This week I decided to add even more to my plate by changing the electrical and have a wall/door removed in our bathroom makeover. Today I decided to give you ideas on how to update your bathroom on a budget with easy projects that you can do yourself.
How to Make Over Your Bathroom on a Budget
Make sure to visit the One Room Challenge Blog to see all of the guests and featured designers and read more about the six-week challenge. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for my week 2 progress. I finally have my final fabric and wallpaper picks! You can find the eclectic and moody bathroom plans from last week in this post.
Find all of the related articles and reveal below:
- Week 1: Beautiful Ideas for a Moody and Eclectic Bathroom
- Week 2: Making Over a Bathroom on a Budget (you are here)
- Week 3: An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall Paint
- Week 4: One Room Challenge Bathroom Progress with Updated Renderings
- Week 5: How to Hang Unpasted Wallpaper by Yourself
- Week 6: A Classic Black and White Marble Bathroom Reveal
EASY BATHROOM UPDATES WITH PAINT:
Paint an accent wall with a bold hue or wallpaper. Go for a geometric wallpaper and vice versa if you are using a floral shower curtain. You can see how I updated our yellow builder grade bathroom by adding jewel tones with paint. It was so easy and the bathroom got a makeover for under $100.
Change the finish of your light fixture, towel hardware, or toilet paper roll with spray paint. Part of my $100 bathroom makeover was using paint that I had to make changes. One way I did this was by painting our light fixture. It isn’t too difficult to remove a vanity light but make sure your fuse box is off first!
Our vanity light got a quick update with gold spray paint. I then dry-brushed black craft paint to give it an aged finish. I used black spray paint for the silver toilet paper roll holder and two years later there’s still not a scratch on it. It held up beautifully even with consistent use.
Update your vanity cabinet with a fresh coat of paint. Change your builder-grade cabinet with good furniture paint. My favorite is Velvet Finishes which offers a beautiful variety of boutique colors and you don’t have sand your cabinet first.
SIMPLE BATHROOM HOME IMPROVEMENTS:
Replace your faucet with one that fits your style. It’s easier than you think and you’ll be so happy you did. A later update to the same small master bathroom was a faucet swap out with a matte black modern faucet. I can’t believe how much nicer it looks or how easy it was to replace it.
Replace the pulls on your cabinet. Another easy update that takes minutes and you can do on the cheap! Swap out your vanity cabinet pulls with a modern shape in a bright metallic to really pop.
Replace an outdated backsplash with this super easy alternative. First check out how to remove an outdated backsplash without damaging your walls and then replace it with something easy like a tin tile or peel and stick tiles. They are easy to cut to fit and install if you are too nervous about the real deal. And you can save you $$.
Paint your counter and tiles to give them new life. I painted over outdated tiles from the ’50s in our first house and never looked back. My friend Casa Watkins Living shared a great DIY to achieve beautiful results for her boho bathroom makeover.
Shop garage sales, thrift stores, or discount big box stores for vanity mirrors. All you need to do is find one with the right shape and size and then customize the finish of the frame with paint like I did with these gold mirrors without having to remove the frame.
Give your bathroom a boutique look with a hotel towel rack! Over the toilet shelves and cabinets can be an eyesore. So try using a hotel-style towel rack for chic bathroom storage.
TIPS FOR ADDING BATHROOM ACCESSORIES:
Hang a large piece of art in your bathroom. I know wallpaper, tiles, and counters can be expensive to add but a large piece of art or fun gallery wall can do wonders for your bathroom or powder room. Thrifted art and inexpensive prints are easy to find these days with FB marketplace and free printables like I offer (hint hint).
Use a small area rug instead of a traditional bathroom mat. Forgo the plain bath mats and go for a small area rug. Just make sure it has a thin pile for easy drying and bonus if it’s machine washable. You can also go a little bigger when you are looking at area rugs which is great if you are wanting to cover ugly tiles.
Add a small piece of furniture like a stool, table, or cabinet. Even the smallest of bathrooms can handle a cute accent piece. I love using something wood or organic to contrast the cold hard surfaces of a bathroom. A ceramic garden stool, small curio cabinet, or brass pedestal are cute options and can be found for a song at resale stores.
Use beautiful decorative containers and trays to hold bathroom necessities. You don’t have to buy bathroom or vanity containers. Think outside the box with decorative dishes, vases, baskets, and trays to corral and store bathroom items. A pretty pot, bowl, or urn can hold a variety of items. Using a collection of similar containers looks stunning.
Get rid of soap and shampoo bottles. Use decorative bottles if you have exposed shampoo and conditioner bottles or if you like to keep things looking pretty in the shower. As a result, you’ll feel like your bathing in luxury. And don’t forget your hand soap! I absolutely love this for bathrooms that serve household members and guests.
One Room Challenge Bathroom Update
I asked my Instagram followers help me decided on the final choice for fabric, wallpaper, and trim. Here it is!
Thank you so much to my sponsors for making this One Room Challenge possible.
A One Room Challenge just isn’t is without a long to-do list!
Here’s my to-do list for the next four weeks:
Have the light switched box on one side moved to the vanity side
- Remove the door between the bath and vanity area and expand the walkway
- Repair the drywall
- Sand the ceiling on the vanity side
- Paint the vanity side, trim, door, and medicine cabinet white
- Paint the tub/toilet side black with white trim
- Install cove molding on the vanity side
- Apply wallpaper to the ceiling
Add gold pulls to the cabinets
- Hang the new light fixture
- Hang new mirror
- Install marble and gold shelf
- Install new faucet
- Change the towel hangers to an antique hook
- Have professional tilers install new tub surround and flooring
- Have professional refinish tub
- Replace tub faucet, drain, and cover
- Sew a custom extra-long shower curtain
- Make a faux roman shade
- Update toilet holder
- Hang gallery wall
- Add new rugs and other decor
- How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning LookFind out how easy it is to add trim to curtains and other simple tips for making store-bought curtains look high-end and custom! This post is sponsored by SmithHonig and contains affiliate links … Read More about How to Add Trim to Curtains for a Stunning Look
- A Beautiful and Quick DIY Laundry Room MakeoverHow a small and dark laundry room was transformed in two days using materials I already had on hand to create a beautiful and elegant space. If you had four short weeks or … Read More about A Beautiful and Quick DIY Laundry Room Makeover
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. The month-long challenge … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where eight bloggers are … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s light at the … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates