See how to get an eclectic bohemian interior decorating style using modern, global, and eclectic elements in this fun blog hop.
Are you wondering what your home style is? Perhaps what words describe the way you decorate? Then this blog hop is perfect for you! Welcome to the My Home Style: Mix and Match where bloggers are sharing their personal decorating aesthetics with key elements to achieve their designs. I’m excited to share my eclectic bohemian style and how I get it.
My Eclectic Bohemian Style with Modern, Global, and Eclecitc Elements
Welcome to My Home Style: Mix, Match, and Coordinate blog hop hosted by the talented Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living. If you are coming from her gorgeous home style, hey there!!
We are a military family living overseas in Japan so I love to share rental decorating ideas and DIYs in our traditional Japanese rental. Our cute home also makes it easy to have an eclectic bohemian style with our global finds. Read on to see how!
First, what is bohemian eclectic decorating style? It simply means that inspiration is derived from a variety of sources and opt for carefree layers of pattern, texture, and color.
You’ve probably heard me call my style eclectic, chic, contemporary classic, vintage, glam, global, and eclectic. Stephanie asked us to come up with only 3 words that best describe our style and I think it’s a really fun and helpful exercise for you too! Write out as many words as you can that describe your home and then see which ones can be grouped under the same category until you have just 3.
I’ve been thinking about the best 3 words that encompass all the styles I incorporate into our home and here’s what I’ve come up with and why.
Drum roll, please… Modern Global Eclectic just like the Japanese glass floats, bamboo birdcages, colorful curtains, and traditional furniture that make up our living area. I’m also going to share how these three styles with key elements are used in the connected dining room which is a traditional tatami-washitsu room, and our master bedroom.
Modern Decorating Elements
Modern comes from my husband’s and my inclination towards contemporary traditional furniture as the base to the natural esthetic for our home. A traditional grey tufted sofa and baby grand piano can be found in many houses!
I’m sure you have many classic traditional pieces as well. You have modern traditional furnishings if most of the lines are clean and simple.
Keeping larger pieces of furniture in a more modern or contemporary traditional style really allows it to be easier to mix in global-eclectic elements and for them to really shine.
Global Decorating Elements
Global signifies all the souvenirs, art pieces, and furniture we’ve collected from living overseas, shopping in antique and thrift stores, and family heirlooms.
What’s so great about decorating with these fun pieces is that they remind us of wonderful sentiments and memories of places we’ve been and family vacations. Perfect conversation starters!
They come in the form of textiles, patterns, furniture, art, and accessories! It may even be a traditional tool or item from another country that you are using as decor like a Chinese calligraphy brush.
Eclectic Decorating Elements
Eclectic is a mix of different styles featuring pops of chinoiserie, boho, and glam. I add these elements with plants, layered textiles, and gold.
An eclectic mix can be a specific era of furniture like Mid Century Modern used with thrifted or second-hand decorating accessories or a mix of different pieces from various time periods.
Color has a huge role in eclectic interiors but you can have a natural eclectic style too. If you enjoy many different styles, it is safe to say use the word eclectic to describe it!
You can probably tell that two of my favorite decorating elements are faux and real plants and books. They are wonderful for creating a curated space and can work with any style but are always in an eclectic mix.
Find more inspiration in my home tours on this page.
This post contains some affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I receive a small commission. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Use these key elements to help you get this look!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Make sure to check out my girl Jess from Domicile 37 next on the blog hop! She has amazing style and ideas!
Wednesday Home Styles
Thursday Home Styles
- How to Arrange Stacked Coffee Table Books BeautifullyLearn how to decorate with stacked coffee table books on different tables and favorite selections of colorful-eclectic and neutral books. Books are one of my favorite things to decorate with! They are often the base of a beautifully styled shelf or table. I enjoy reading and displaying them and have shared stories on how to…
- Be Inspired with Neutral Fall Decor Ideas in our Colorful Eclectic HomeNeutral Fall decor doesn’t have to be plain jane. Using natural elements, warm metallics, and eclectic embellishments can work in any decorating style from farmhouse decor to colorful maximalist design to create a cozy and intriguing Autumnal home. Welcome to our Fall home tour featuring neutral Fall decor ideas in our colorful-maximalist open concept living…
- See a Colorful Spring Home Tour with Maximalist Interiors and Easy Decorating TipsAre you drawn to maximalist interiors? Find simple decorating tips for creating a colorful room without looking cluttered this Spring. It’s much fun to see so many maximalist, cottage-core, granny-chic, and grand-millennial style words and interiors floating around the internet these days. What these words describe has been my decorating aesthetic for years, especially now…
- How to Create Beautiful Spring Vignettes and a Colorful Home TourSee how to create beautiful Spring vignettes with colorful and eclectic finds in this fun home tour featuring a maximalist style. Changing up decor for the season doesn’t have to be a chore! Have fun and play with what you already have. Find inspiration in over 20 home tours and style your own Spring vignettes….
- How to Style a Dresser with Five Beautiful IdeasLearn how to style a dresser with tall dresser decor ideas and tips for long dressers, odd windows, and wall-mounted TVs. Dressers and tall chests can be tricky to decorate. Here are some lovely examples that showcase pretty vignettes with various styles. Scroll down for tips for creating a perfectly styled dresser. Five Beautiful Dresser…