What is Eclectic Bohemian Style and How to Get it
See how to get an eclectic bohemian interior decorating style using modern, global, and eclectic elements in this fun blog hop.
Are you wondering what your home style is? Perhaps what words describe the way you decorate? Then this blog hop is perfect for you!
Welcome to the My Home Style: Mix and Match where bloggers are sharing their personal decorating aesthetics with key elements to achieve their designs. I’m excited to share my eclectic bohemian style and how I get it.
My Eclectic Bohemian Style with Modern, Global, and Eclectic Elements
Welcome to My Home Style: Mix, Match, and Coordinate blog hop hosted by the talented Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living. If you are coming from her gorgeous home style, hey there!!
We are a military family living overseas in Japan so I love to share rental decorating ideas and DIYs in our traditional Japanese rental. Our cute home also makes it easy to have an eclectic bohemian style with our global finds. Read on to see how!
First, what is a bohemian eclectic decorating style? It simply means that inspiration is derived from a variety of sources and opts for carefree layers of pattern, texture, and color.
You’ve probably heard me call my style eclectic, chic, contemporary classic, vintage, glam, global, and mixed. Stephanie asked us to come up with only 3 words that best describe our style and I think it’s a really fun and helpful exercise for you too!
Write out as many words as you can that describe your home and then see which ones can be grouped under the same category until you have just 3.
I’ve been thinking about the best 3 words that encompass all the styles I incorporate into our home and here’s what I’ve come up with and why.
Drum roll, please… Modern Global Eclectic just like the Japanese glass floats, bamboo birdcages, colorful curtains, and traditional furniture that make up our living area.
I’m also going to share how these three styles with key elements are used in the connected dining room which is a traditional tatami-washitsu room, and our master bedroom.
Modern Decorating Elements
Modern comes from my husband’s and my inclination towards contemporary traditional furniture as the base to the natural esthetic for our home. A traditional grey tufted sofa and baby grand piano can be found in many houses!
I’m sure you have many classic traditional pieces as well. You have modern traditional furnishings if most of the lines are clean and simple.
Keeping larger pieces of furniture in a more modern or contemporary traditional style really allows it to be easier to mix in global-eclectic elements and for them to really shine.
Global Decorating Elements
Global signifies all the souvenirs, art pieces, and furniture we’ve collected from living overseas, shopping in antique and thrift stores, and family heirlooms.
What’s so great about decorating with these fun pieces is that they remind us of beautiful sentiments and memories of places we’ve been and family vacations. Perfect conversation starters!
They come in the form of textiles, patterns, furniture, art, and accessories! It may even be a traditional tool or item from another country that you are using as decor like a Chinese calligraphy brush.
Eclectic Decorating Elements
Eclectic is a mix of different styles featuring pops of chinoiserie, boho, and glam. I add these elements with plants, layered textiles, and gold.
An eclectic mix can be a specific era of furniture like Mid Century Modern used with thrifted or second-hand decorating accessories or a mix of different pieces from various time periods.
Color has a huge role in eclectic interiors, but you can also have a natural eclectic style. If you enjoy many different styles, it is safe to say use the word eclectic to describe it!
You can probably tell that two of my favorite decorating elements are faux and real plants and books. They are wonderful for creating a curated space and can work with any style but are always in an eclectic mix.
Find more inspiration in my home tours on this page.
This post contains some affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I receive a small commission. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Use these key elements to help you get this look!
Bamboo Bird Cage | Faux Succulents | Japanese Glass Floats | Kilim Pillow | Mustard Yellow Shag Pillow | Teal Blue Curtains | Faux Hanging Plant
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Make sure to check out my girl Jess from Domicile 37 next on the blog hop! She has amazing style and ideas!
Wednesday Home Styles
Thursday Home Styles
- Make a Beautiful DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies I already have. So pull out your fairy lights and I will share how to make flower lights in minutes! DIY Flower Garland Lights Welcome…
- Try a Beautiful and Easy DIY Moss Wreath for SpringLearn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath! You are in the right place friend if you would rather make beautiful Spring decor rather than put out generic store-bought home decor or spend $$$ on designer decor. It’s much more fun…
- How to Make an Elegant Spring Basket Wreath with Repurposed ItemsCreate an elegant basket wreath by repurposing baskets and faux floral stems you already have. Step by step instructions and video included. I’m so giddy about today’s basket wreath. Threshing baskets are so easy to come by and you probably have one or two around the house. With a little creative imagination, you can transform…
- Simple Tips for Decorating with Fake Flowers for SpringAdd a splash of seasonal decor to your home by decorating with fake flowers that look real and you can use them year after year! Artificial flowers have come a long way, so I decided to use them again in our early Spring home tour this year while I’m waiting for our garden to bloom….
- A Simple Formula for Mixing Metals in the Bathroom BeautifullyRules are made to be broken! Get creative with decorating by following easy tips for mixing metals in the bathroom tastefully. You may be wondering if you can mix metals in a bathroom. Around here, we love to break out of traditional design rules to input our personal style with our favorite decor and design…
I am always amazed at what you do to your rentals. Your home is cohesive and has such a lovely feel about it. Truly beautiful!
Thank you so much Jess!! xoxo
perfect words to describe you- i always love the global touches you bring in, and your unique style! i love, too, that your global look is inspired by places you’ve really been! my global is all places i’d love to see. 😉
Aw! Thanks Cassie.
Shhh, don’t tell anyone else but your home is my favorite! I love the influence from your travels in your home. You incorporate it in the most beautiful way ❤
You’re so sweet Corinna. Thank you! xoxo
Your home has a wonderful collected look! Beautiful!
Thank you Carol!!
I love your home, Kathy, and I can’t believe it’s a rental! It has such a story and sense of time and history about it. You’ve done a fabulous job curating all of your lovely things. What a fun and inviting style you have! xoxo
Thank you Laura! It’s been fun living in a traditional Japanese home. There’s already so much character in it.
I love it all Kathy! It is such a wonderful style and I adore that you incorporate your authentic pieces from your travels.
I’ve always been in awe of how you can move in to a new space, and within days can create such warm, and beautiful spaces for your family! You’ve got a gift girl, and are such an inspiration!
Aw! Thanks so much Iris.
Your cool, casual collected vibe is such a winning vibe! I love watching your different homes evolve! Beautiful, Kathy!!
Aw! Thanks friend!
You better believe that I pinned the heck out of this. I love all the little touches you bring to a space. Your bedroom is still one of my favs!
Yay!! Thanks Ariel! xoxo
Great point you make about collecting furniture from various and often unconventional places. As you say, it certainly makes for an interesting talking point for new visitors, plus helps to evoke happy memories of travels and explorations!
Thanks Tom! Living overseas is the perfect opportunity for this but I love shopping antique and estate sales too. 🙂
This is a great post for interior design everyone want unique and perfect interior design. And in this post there are all the features that i was looking for.
Modern theme in interior design
Thank you Angel.
wow great post
Nice interior design
thank you for you post
This feel so hommy
I have literally pinned everything from here. I have been looking everywhere for a bookshelf like in the pictures. Where did you get it from ?
Oh that’s so sweet! Thank you. The bookshelf we found at a thrift store in Japan but if you search for a Chinese or Asian eterge you should be able to find something similar. Good luck!