How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy Steps
Learn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory.
I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and trying to repurpose or DIY most of my decor. Since we have 70% of our belongings in long term storage, including our Halloween decor, I did my best to shop the house and “dollar tree” for fun Fall/ Halloween decor that matched our decorating style.
DIY Pom Pom Garland
I bought some pom pom makers a while back and was excited to use them for Halloween garland. They were super easy but cardboard works just as well! I tried multiple sizes and loved how they all turned out.
What you need for DIY Pom Pom Garland
- Yarn in various or seasonal colors
- Cardboard or pom pom maker
- Twine or string
- A yarn needle
How to make pom pom garland with cardboard
- Cut a piece of cardboard into a rectangular shape, approximately 4 inches wide and 6 inches long for extra large pom poms, or adjust for smaller sizes.
- Cut a piece of yarn, approximately 12 inches long, and place it in the center of the cardboard long ways or in the center of the pom pom maker.
- Begin wrapping the yarn around the short side of the cardboard or pom pom maker until it is completely covered and the pom pom is fluffy and full.
- Carefully slide the wrapped yarn off the cardboard or pom pom maker and tie the piece of yarn tightly around the center of the bundle, making sure to tie it several times to secure it.
- Cut the loops on each end of the bundle, creating a pom pom.
- Repeat steps 2-5 to make additional pom poms in various colors and preferred sizes.
- Once you have made several pom poms, cut a length of twine or string to your desired garland length.
- Tie each pom pom onto the twine or string or thread through the middle of each pom pom with a large needle, spacing them out evenly and leaving enough twine or string on each end to hang the garland.
DIY Pom Pom Garland
Make cute and fluffy pom pom garland in three easy steps with this inexpensive DIY. Just wrap, tie, and cut!
- Yarn in desired colors
- Cardboard or pom pom maker
- Start with a 4 by 6-inch piece of cardboard for a larger pom pom. Adjust the cardboard for other sizes.
- Cut a 12-inch piece of yarn and lay it across the cardboard long ways.
- Start wrapping the yarn from the yarn ball around the middle of the cardboard and string until you have covered the cardboard center and created a round and puffy shape.
- Cut the yarn and carefully slide off the ball of wrapped yarn from the cardboard.
- Tie the first piece of yarn in a double knot and cut the loops to shape the pom pom. Trim as necessary.
Use a pom pom maker to speed up the process.
How to use a pom pom maker
Using a pom pom maker is a fun and easy way to create pom poms in different sizes and styles. Here are some general steps on how to use a pom pom maker.
- Open the pom pom maker. Most pom pom makers have two semicircular arms that can be opened like a clamshell. Open the arms and separate them from each other.
- Wrap the yarn. Start wrapping your yarn around one of the arms of the pom pom maker. You can wrap the yarn around the arm as many times as you want, depending on how full you want your pom pom to be. Repeat the process with the other arm.
- Close the pom pom maker. Once you have wrapped enough yarn, close the two arms of the pom pom maker together. Make sure they snap together tightly to hold the yarn in place.
- Cut the yarn. Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the yarn along the edge of the pom pom maker. Make sure to cut through all the layers of yarn.
- Tie the pom pom. Take a length of yarn and wrap it tightly around the center of the pom pom maker, between the two arms. Tie it in a knot as tightly as possible to secure the pom pom.
- Release the pom pom. Once the pom pom is tied securely, open the arms of the pom pom maker and gently pull it apart. You should have a fluffy pom pom that you can trim and shape to your desired size and style.
- Trim the pom pom. Use scissors to trim any uneven edges or strands that are longer than the others.
Repeat these steps to create as many pom poms as you want, experimenting with different yarn colors and textures to create unique pom poms for various projects.
Mine is hanging in the official garland corner with a chalkboard pumpkin and a little black and white flower arrangement. (I just replaced a few flowers with more pom poms.)
Since we have white candles sitting on tall candle pillars by the tv. I dressed them up with black electrical tape for fun black and white stripes. Super easy and quick! On the other side of the tv, I reused some faux purple buds in a sea-glass vase.
My DIY copper pumpkins (you can find them HERE) made a reappearance under the tv. This time I turned them around so the little jack-o-lantern faces show. Tis the season!
The 100 Yen store had some metallic orange jack-o-lanterns that I snagged and spray-painted black for our sofa table.
All of my black and white textiles are currently out in the living room.
Our new rescue kitty even matches!
He is affectionately called Meow Meow and is the first cat I have owned. I had no idea they were so much fun!
My thrifted polka dot fabric makes a great Halloween table runner.
I love how the warm tones all seem to match and are a nice contrast to the pops of black and white.
Make sure to check out 50 + Fall seasonal and holiday decorating ideas, DIYs, and free printables for the season and these adorable crafts you can make with yarn pom poms.
Remember, the possibilities are endless with pom poms – mix and match colors, sizes, and textures to create something truly unique. You can even try wrapping a fork for mini pom poms! So grab some yarn and start crafting, I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Happy pom pom making.
- Learn how to find your design style with simple tips and tricks!A guide for “how to find my design style” in your house with designer tips and tricks that will help you be confident with decorating. Do you know what looks good in your space? Taking a little time to discover your design style will make all the difference. Turn your home into a beautiful haven…
- Pretty and Practical: Simple Storage Ideas for Any SpaceLearn how to incorporate beautiful, creative, and simple storage solutions that elevate both form and function in your home. Are you tired of cluttered and disorganized spaces in your home, but feel overwhelmed by the thought of tackling it all? Don’t worry, because I’ve got you covered with simple storage solutions you can use in…
- Making Floral Arrangements Easy and Beautiful with Simple DIY MethodsDon’t wilt under pressure – find simple DIY methods for making floral arrangements beautiful with fake or real flowers. Who doesn’t love flowers? They are the icing on the cake in a beautiful room and have the power to brighten up any space. But if you are anything like me, creating floral arrangements can seem…
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and create a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! Casa Watkins Living and I are having so much fun sharing globally-influenced DIYs, decorating ideas, and more for A Very Global Christmas. Today is day…
- Bring the Outdoors In: Decorate with These Beautiful Bird PrintablesJoin over 2,000 subscribers and receive weekly newsletters, exclusive offers, and monthly freebies like free bird printables art straight to your inbox. My free bird printable art is a great way to add some unique and stylish decor to your home. The bird, butterfly, and flower buds can add a touch of whimsy to any…