Welcome to the second week of the New Year New Room Refresh Challenge. Make a DIY laundry hose cover that is renter-friendly.
This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Welcome back to the New Year New Room Refresh. I’m refreshing a room in four short weeks with some friends for this fun challenge hosted by my pal, Casa Watkins Living.
The real hiccup is that I live in a Japanese rental home with my military family! So anything I do has to keep the landlord happy and there are a lot of restrictions including no holes of any kind in the walls.
The good news is that I love these types of challenges and have dedicated an entire page to renter-friendly decorating ideas.
DIY Laundry Hose and Cord Covers
You can read about the plans and inspiration for our laundry/bathroom makeover and see its current state in this story if you missed last week’s post.
Here’s an update for the entire challenge.
Week Two: DIY Cord and Hose Covers (You are here)
Week Three: Renter Friendly and Frugal Bathroom Styling Tips
Week Four: DIY Bamboo Ladder for Under $10
Week Five: The Bathroom and Laundry Rooms Reveal
The Minted art arrived today and not a minute too soon. Just in time for the week two update. I was a little worried about my shipped items coming in time for the reveal since shipping to Okinawa can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.
Okay, let’s get to it! Do you remember the ugly cords and hoses that were exposed on the wall above the washer and dryer?
Well, my plan for covering them actually went off without a hitch!! I found four baskets in a light color that were the perfect size to hide all of the wall uglies.
Here’s how I did it.
Laundry Hose Covers Supplies :
- Baskets large enough to cover cords, hoses, and outlets. The baskets can be wide but should be only 3-4 inches deep. I found two sizes priced at $4 and $6. Perfect.
- “L” brackets, two for each basket
- Screws, washers, and nuts to secure “L” brackets to baskets
- Command strips
Hiding washing machine hoses and cords how-to:
Simply attach one “L” bracket on the corner of the basket from inside. Place a washer on the screw before threading it through the basketweave so the screw doesn’t go completely through. Put the bracket on and use a nut to secure it in place. Repeat on the other corner.
To make this project renter-friendly, attach command velcro strips securely over the exposed end of the brackets. Make sure to read the directions to know which side goes on the wall, which sides on the bracket, and how long to press down.
Place the baskets on the wall and press firmly where the L brackets are. You can thread a hose or cord through the handle of the basket or cut a hole in the bottom where needed.
It’s genius I tell you! I love that they work as shelving for lighter items. The command strips will hold up to 17lbs! Perfect for little accessories or leaning art.
On the other side are the hoses which I couldn’t get to budge so I’ll have to wait for my husband to get home to help me with them. A basket still covers them nicely in the meantime.
I was thrilled to see my pretty art prints from Minted.com on the wall. Command strips worked perfectly as a renter-friendly hanging solution. Here’s a sneak peek of two out of three pieces I received from them. Pretty, aren’t they?
It’s coming together, my friend! Hopefully, I will be able to show you a lot more next week. Still waiting on those few boxes. 🙂
In the meantime, check out the progress my friends are making with this challenge! They are such a talented bunch of ladies and it’s amazing to see what creative ideas they come up with.
New Year, New Room Refresh Challenge Participants:
Pretty Practical Home
Vintage Romance Style
Once again, a big thank you to our sponsors!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of sparkle because you’re about to dive into a world of DIY glam pumpkins today! Why Go Gold When I Paint Metallic Pumpkins? Gold isn’t just…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern, and beautiful designs and latest technology is really a doable project for anyone. You are probably wondering if you can cover your textured wall with…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you ever felt limited by the colors in your home decor, like a beautiful lamp that just doesn’t quite fit with your current style? You’re not…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do you wish there was a way to infuse personality and style into your living space without breaking the bank? If you’ve ever felt like your…