Update your vinyl or laminate cabinets with a no-prime, no-sand, no-wax paint in beautiful boutique colors for a stunning and easy makeover.
“Can I paint that?”, the question I get most from readers, friends, and family. And that is something other than wood. I emphatically respond “yes, you can paint anything.” But you have to use the right kind of paint and take the correct steps.
*This post is sponsored by Velvet Finishes and contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I might earn a small commission. Thank you for supporting the brands I love and trust.
My favorite paint for cabinets without sanding.
What holds you back on a new project? When I’m unsure of what tools or products to make my DIY successful, I tend to get discouraged and put them off. But I never feel this way about painting. The power to instantly change something with paint makes me feel empowered. And I find the repetitive and mechanical motions of painting therapeutic! It’s a perfect time to listen to music or be engrossed in my own thoughts.
I’ve used my favorite paint for furniture and house projects for a few years. The low-VOC, non-toxic, latex water-base paint is easy to use, clean up, and doesn’t require priming or sanding. The best kind of projects are ones without surprises and instant success. One of the many reasons I love using Velvet Finishes!
Have you seen my bird atrium er… I mean office? 🙂 I completed my dream workspace early this year with a built-in desk and office cabinets, beautiful bird wallpaper, and a sitting area.
The pre-assembled office cabinets I chose are wood with a crisp white vinyl overlay for easy care. But I’m always excited to punch up the design a notch with color and additional details. I knew painting over vinyl would be easy with Velvet Finishes.
Velvet Finishes offers a captivating array of designer colors that produce amazing results. I went with a beautiful earthy green called Alluring for my office built-ins. I have greens throughout our house to help unify decor, bring a garden-inspired color palette inside, and the sublime feeling of being embraced by my favorite color. As my grandpa always says,
“Try it! You’ll like it.”
This tutorial uses Velvet Finishes’ three-step method with Ready, Colour, and Protect.
Here’s how to paint a vinyl or laminate cabinet without sanding.
- Remove cabinet fronts, drawers, and any hardware on the surface.
- Spray Velvet Finishes’ Ready, let sit a few minutes and wipe off.
- Use a good paintbrush or roller and start with a light coat of Colour. You may notice the paint looks splotchy or watery with the first coat on a vinyl or other smooth surface. Don’t worry, 2-3 more coats will give you even and complete coverage.
- You’ll need up to 4 coats of paint if you go from a dark color to light or light to dark.
- Let paint dry to the touch between coats.
- If you catch any dust, hairs, or drips; lightly sand when the paint is dry to the touch.
- Wash your brushes with water and soap. This paint is so easy to clean up!
- Wait a few hours (or overnight) and then apply Velvet Finishes’ Protect topcoat with a brush or sponge brush for a protective finish. I absolutely love this stuff! It protects against dings and scuffs and has a nice satin finish.
- Let your cabinets dry for a few days to completely cure especially if they are a smooth surface.
I have used my office 30-40 hours a week for three months now and not a single ding or scratch on my painted built-in desk! That’s what I call a successful paint job.
Beautiful brass and wood pulls, painted toe kick and furniture feet add even more interest to the desk. You can find all of the details of the office makeover in how to decorate an office with no windows.
Here are some other projects I’ve completed with Velvet Finishes. They also offer furniture glaze, gel, and metallics. Click on an image link below for the project.
Colorful cabinets make such a statement! What do you want to paint?
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.
- See a Colorful Eclectic Home Dramatic Before and AftersCheck out how I turned our single-story ranch-style home into a colorful beautiful haven with before and after pictures of our eclectic interiors. Next month will mark a two year anniversary in our new home. Lots of paint, wallpaper, DIY builds, and thrifted and new furniture went into making a single-story ranch style house from … Read More about See a Colorful Eclectic Home Dramatic Before and Afters
- Beautiful and Colorful Shower Curtains for Every BudgetLooking for that wow factor in your bathroom? Check out these beautiful and colorful shower curtains that fit every budget. Don’t you love that instant gratification you get when you put up curtains, paint a wall, or hang a shower curtain? It’s so fun enveloping yourself in an allover color or pattern that makes you … Read More about Beautiful and Colorful Shower Curtains for Every Budget
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love. This is a sponsored post. An off-centered window, blinds, low ceiling, and a dark small-space does … Read More about How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style Bedroom
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to remove tile so I could be more confident in bathroom and kitchen renovations. I was able to remove a mosaic … Read More about How to Remove a Tile Backsplash Easily
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and options are my own. I’ve always adored how my grandmother used matching bedding, wallpaper, and window treatments with the same … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy steps