Update your vinyl or laminate cabinets with a no-prime, no-sand, no-wax paint in beautiful boutique colors for a stunning and easy makeover.
“Can I paint that?”, the question I get most from readers, friends, and family. And that is something other than wood. I emphatically respond “yes, you can paint anything.” But you have to use the right kind of paint and take the correct steps.
*This post is sponsored by Velvet Finishes and contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I might earn a small commission. Thank you for supporting the brands I love and trust.
My favorite paint for cabinets without sanding.
What holds you back on a new project? When I’m unsure of what tools or products to make my DIY successful, I tend to get discouraged and put them off. But I never feel this way about painting. The power to instantly change something with paint makes me feel empowered. And I find the repetitive and mechanical motions of painting therapeutic! It’s a perfect time to listen to music or be engrossed in my own thoughts.
I’ve used my favorite paint for furniture and house projects for a few years. The low-VOC, non-toxic, latex water-base paint is easy to use, clean up, and doesn’t require priming or sanding. The best kind of projects are ones without surprises and instant success. One of the many reasons I love using Velvet Finishes!
Have you seen my bird atrium er… I mean office? 🙂 I completed my dream workspace early this year with a built-in desk and office cabinets, beautiful bird wallpaper, and a sitting area.
The pre-assembled office cabinets I chose are wood with a crisp white vinyl overlay for easy care. But I’m always excited to punch up the design a notch with color and additional details. I knew painting over vinyl would be easy with Velvet Finishes.
Velvet Finishes offers a captivating array of designer colors that produce amazing results. I went with a beautiful earthy green called Alluring for my office built-ins. I have greens throughout our house to help unify decor, bring a garden-inspired color palette inside, and the sublime feeling of being embraced by my favorite color. As my grandpa always says,
“Try it! You’ll like it.”
This tutorial uses Velvet Finishes’ three-step method with Ready, Colour, and Protect.
Here’s how to paint a vinyl or laminate cabinet without sanding.
- Remove cabinet fronts, drawers, and any hardware on the surface.
- Spray Velvet Finishes’ Ready, let sit a few minutes and wipe off.
- Use a good paintbrush or roller and start with a light coat of Colour. You may notice the paint looks splotchy or watery with the first coat on a vinyl or other smooth surface. Don’t worry, 2-3 more coats will give you even and complete coverage.
- You’ll need up to 4 coats of paint if you go from a dark color to light or light to dark.
- Let paint dry to the touch between coats.
- If you catch any dust, hairs, or drips; lightly sand when the paint is dry to the touch.
- Wash your brushes with water and soap. This paint is so easy to clean up!
- Wait a few hours (or overnight) and then apply Velvet Finishes’ Protect topcoat with a brush or sponge brush for a protective finish. I absolutely love this stuff! It protects against dings and scuffs and has a nice satin finish.
- Let your cabinets dry for a few days to completely cure especially if they are a smooth surface.
I have used my office 30-40 hours a week for three months now and not a single ding or scratch on my painted built-in desk! That’s what I call a successful paint job.
Beautiful brass and wood pulls, painted toe kick and furniture feet add even more interest to the desk. You can find all of the details of the office makeover in how to decorate an office with no windows.
Here are some other projects I’ve completed with Velvet Finishes. They also offer furniture glaze, gel, and metallics. Click on an image link below for the project.
Colorful cabinets make such a statement! What do you want to paint?
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where eight bloggers are giving a room an easy makeover in four short weeks. A big thanks to our hostess Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living for … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s light at the end of the tunnel my friend and I’m so grateful for creative challenges like this one that motivates me to update a … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates
- Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place CardsFind an easy DIY for bottle brush place card holders to use with free printable Christmas place cards on your holiday table this year! We made it! Welcome to Day 12 of A Very Global Christmas series where Casa Watkins Living and I have been sharing globally-inspired decorating ideas and DIYs. Today I’m sharing a … Read More about Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place Cards
- An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in MinutesAn easy pink Christmas table setting inspired by French, modern-bohemian style and my grandmother’s Dresden china. Do you use family heirlooms around the holidays? I’ve been gifted my grandmother’s Dresden china recently and couldn’t wait to use the gorgeous pink floral pattern in a tablescape. Their feminine appearance balances out our green and blue dining … Read More about An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in Minutes
- How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements Look GoodCreate beautiful artificial flower arrangements with these simple tips. Perfect for a holiday centerpiece or any time of the year. I’m not going to lie, flower arranging has never been my forte. But I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to creating gorgeous artificial floral arrangements throughout the years. A Christmas Artificial Flower Arrangement Welcome … Read More about How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements Look Good