Update your vinyl or laminate cabinets with a no-prime, no-sand, no-wax paint in beautiful boutique colors for a stunning and easy makeover.
“Can I paint that?”, the question I get most from readers, friends, and family. And that is something other than wood. I emphatically respond “yes, you can paint anything.” But you have to use the right kind of paint and take the correct steps.
*This post is sponsored by Velvet Finishes and contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I might earn a small commission. Thank you for supporting the brands I love and trust.
My favorite paint for cabinets without sanding.
What holds you back on a new project? When I’m unsure of what tools or products to make my DIY successful, I tend to get discouraged and put them off. But I never feel this way about painting. The power to instantly change something with paint makes me feel empowered. And I find the repetitive and mechanical motions of painting therapeutic! It’s a perfect time to listen to music or be engrossed in my own thoughts.
I’ve used my favorite paint for furniture and house projects for a few years. The low-VOC, non-toxic, latex water-base paint is easy to use, clean up, and doesn’t require priming or sanding. The best kind of projects are ones without surprises and instant success. One of the many reasons I love using Velvet Finishes!
Have you seen my bird atrium er… I mean office? 🙂 I completed my dream workspace early this year with a built-in desk and office cabinets, beautiful bird wallpaper, and a sitting area.
The pre-assembled office cabinets I chose are wood with a crisp white vinyl overlay for easy care. But I’m always excited to punch up the design a notch with color and additional details. I knew painting over vinyl would be easy with Velvet Finishes.
Velvet Finishes offers a captivating array of designer colors that produce amazing results. I went with a beautiful earthy green called Alluring for my office built-ins. I have greens throughout our house to help unify decor, bring a garden-inspired color palette inside, and the sublime feeling of being embraced by my favorite color. As my grandpa always says,
“Try it! You’ll like it.”
This tutorial uses Velvet Finishes’ three-step method with Ready, Colour, and Protect.
Here’s how to paint a vinyl or laminate cabinet without sanding.
- Remove cabinet fronts, drawers, and any hardware on the surface.
- Spray Velvet Finishes’ Ready, let sit a few minutes and wipe off.
- Use a good paintbrush or roller and start with a light coat of Colour. You may notice the paint looks splotchy or watery with the first coat on a vinyl or other smooth surface. Don’t worry, 2-3 more coats will give you even and complete coverage.
- You’ll need up to 4 coats of paint if you go from a dark color to light or light to dark.
- Let paint dry to the touch between coats.
- If you catch any dust, hairs, or drips; lightly sand when the paint is dry to the touch.
- Wash your brushes with water and soap. This paint is so easy to clean up!
- Wait a few hours (or overnight) and then apply Velvet Finishes’ Protect topcoat with a brush or sponge brush for a protective finish. I absolutely love this stuff! It protects against dings and scuffs and has a nice satin finish.
- Let your cabinets dry for a few days to completely cure especially if they are a smooth surface.
I have used my office 30-40 hours a week for three months now and not a single ding or scratch on my painted built-in desk! That’s what I call a successful paint job.
Beautiful brass and wood pulls, painted toe kick and furniture feet add even more interest to the desk. You can find all of the details of the office makeover in how to decorate an office with no windows.
Here are some other projects I’ve completed with Velvet Finishes. They also offer furniture glaze, gel, and metallics. Click on an image link below for the project.
Colorful cabinets make such a statement! What do you want to paint?
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.
- How to Make Custom Curtains Without SewingLearn how to make beautiful custom curtains without sewing with an easy tutorial including step by step instructions and video. This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I fight with my sewing machine every time I use it. It usually wins. Which is why I love to use no-sew options … Read More about The Best Paint for Cabinets without Sanding
- Easy Ideas for Beautiful Covered Outdoor Living SpacesUse these simple decorating ideas for creating a beautiful space in your covered outdoor living areas. Enjoy an outside retreat while you are at home. This post is sponsored by Wayfair. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Living and traveling all over Asia for four years gave us the chance to visit many beautiful … Read More about The Best Paint for Cabinets without Sanding
- The Best Ceiling Fans for BedroomsWhy I love Fanimation as the best ceiling fans for bedrooms and a list of my favorite modern ceiling fans with and without lights. This post is sponsored by Fanimation. All thoughts and opinions are my own. We are right in the middle of updating our master bedroom and I’m not sure if it is … Read More about The Best Paint for Cabinets without Sanding
- How to Hang Prepasted Wallpaper by YourselfFollow these easy steps to prep and hang prepasted wallpaper by yourself. Change your room instantly with a mural or patterned wallpaper. I’m here to tell you it is easier than you think. I was apprehensive to hang “real” wallpaper for the first time after only using removable wallpaper in so many rentals. I wondered … Read More about The Best Paint for Cabinets without Sanding
- Easy Tips on How to Create a Colorful Bedroom Mood BoardLearn how to create a colorful bedroom mood board the easy way with a few simple steps for planning a makeover, a digital mood board, and budgeting. I’m not going to lie. Staying home as had its tough moments. Trying not to worry about uncertainty that is out of my control has been a huge … Read More about The Best Paint for Cabinets without Sanding