Follow these easy steps to make a pinecone wreath with a foam wreath form. It’s the perfect Fall or holiday door wreath on a budget!
Hi, y’all. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! It’s the perfect time of year for collecting pinecones and creating holiday crafts. I love the texture and shapes of pinecones so I’m sharing tips for making a pinecone wreath. It really is a lovely seasonal decor piece!
How to Make a Pinecone Wreath
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now am tackling home ownership with a new set of challenges! I love infusing colorful global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one story 60’s ranch style home.
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
Materials for a DIY Pinecone Wreath:
- Foam wreath form
- Lots of pinecones =)
- Hot-glue gun
- Jewelry wire (optional) We poked it through the styrofoam from the backside of the form, looped it back through, and twisted the ends together, leaving a little slack at the top for the “hanger”.
- Gold spray paint
This DIY gives you the perfect excuse to take long autumn walks and collect cones or maybe they are already in your yard! Make sure to pick up all shapes and sizes for a nice full wreath.
- (optional) Prepare your foam base by painting it with a light coat of gold or brown spray paint. Don’t get too close to the styrofoam as the paint can melt it. Taking this step will eliminate the need to fill exposed holes of the foam wreath. Using a grapevine wreath form is another option but makes it trickier to get a full and even wreath shape. Skip this step if you plan to paint your pinecones after.
- Start on the inside of your wreath with smaller pinecones and hot glue them into place. If you pick the little knob off the bottom of the pinecone first it will lay flatter and be easier to glue. After applying the glue make sure to press the pinecone into the wreath form for a few seconds to insure it will stick!
- One option for your pinecone pattern is to continue gluing pinecone rings using larger ones as you move to towards the middle of the wreath form.
- If you prefer a more organic shape, glue pinecones on in a natural way with a different shapes and sizes. Just make sure to spread the varying colors and sizes evenly. The texture will be AMAZING!
Painted pinecone wreath: If you find that some of your green or white wreath foam is showing through you can fill in the gaps with pinecone petals or cover the entire wreath with a mist of gold spray paint. It will give it a nice shimmer perfect for the holidays.
Hang your wreath right onto a nail or wrap with ribbon and hang.
Q&A for DIY Pinecone Wreaths
I’ve received a few questions on this post and wanted to provide answers if case you have any of the same questions.
“I’ve read before that you need to bake your pinecones to kill any insects in them. Did you do that with yours?” That’s a great tip! Our pinecones sat in the sun for a few days. My friend’s wreath is only for outdoors and I spray painted my wreath, hopefully that killed any little critters. But if you are gathering pinecones from outside it is a good idea to bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
“Are your wreaths flat on the back or did you completely cover the styrofoam?” I used a wreath form with a flat back so it lays nicely against a wall or door.
“Did you start at the middle or back of the wreath to glue pinecones?” I started on the outside but have made other wreaths starting from the middle. Either way works!
Making pinecone wreaths takes some patience but it’s a fun DIY and it looks amazing! Have you tried making one? Do you have any other favorite pine cone crafts or ideas? I love the look of bleached pinecones and painted pinecones for wreaths and I’ve also made a painted pinecone door swag that turned out so pretty!
I hope you enjoyed learning about how to make a pinecone wreath. Check out 50+ decorating ideas and DIYs for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Halloween plus free printables!
Thanks for stopping by and happy Fall!
- How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall QuicklyChange your room in an afternoon with a DIY painted arch accent wall and update a piece of furniture in the same color for a big impact! *This post is sponsored by KILZ® Brand but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that makes Up to Date Interiors possible! … Read More about How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall Quickly
- Brilliant Colors of Fall Home TourWelcome to our brilliant colors of Fall home tour where you’ll find colorful and eclectic seasonal decor with touches of autumn. Doesn’t the change of season excite you? It is always so fun to anticipate and prepare for new decor, activities, and weather. I’m excited to be joining the Brilliant Colors of Fall Home Tour … Read More about Brilliant Colors of Fall Home Tour
- Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood BoardA colorful and eclectic mood board showcasing top flooring trends using my favorite Carpet One Floor & Home products. This post is sponsored by Carpet One Floor & Home but all thoughts and opinions are my own. I’m not sure what your favorite pastime is but you probably love dreaming up beautiful rooms if you … Read More about Top Flooring Trends with Carpet One Mood Board
- How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins CenterpieceTransform dollar store pumpkins into a beautiful Copper Pumpkins centerpiece for Fall with this quick and easy DIY. Do you love decorating with dollar store items but wish you could make them look higher end without much effort? Well, I’ve got you covered my friend. This easy DIY will transform dollar store pumpkins into a … Read More about How to Create a Quick and Easy Dollar Store Pumpkins Centerpiece
- Beautiful Fall Outdoor Wreaths You’ll Fall in Love WithIs it Autumn yet? Find a mix of beautiful and easy DIY Fall outdoor wreaths and my favorite online store picks for beautiful modern wreaths! Aren’t the change of seasons this best? Each one feels like a fresh start in some way with new things to look forward to. Especially for this year! I think … Read More about Beautiful Fall Outdoor Wreaths You’ll Fall in Love With