Follow these easy steps to make a pinecone wreath with a foam wreath form. It’s the perfect Fall or holiday door wreath on a budget!
Hi, y’all. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! It’s the perfect time of year for collecting pinecones and creating holiday crafts. Making wreaths is one of my favorite DIY projects I do seasonally for this blog.
I love the texture and shapes of pinecones so I’m sharing tips for making a pinecone wreath. It really is a lovely seasonal decor piece for the home and can stay out for Christmas and January!
How to Make a Beautiful Pine Cone Wreath
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now am tackling homeownership with a new set of challenges! I love infusing a colorful, global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one-story 60’s ranch-style home.
Materials for a DIY Pinecone Wreath:
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convince to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
- Foam wreath form
- Lots of pinecones =)
- Hot-glue gun
- Jewelry wire (optional) We poked it through the styrofoam from the backside of the form, looped it back through, and twisted the ends together, leaving a little slack at the top for the “hanger”.
- Gold spray paint
This DIY gives you the perfect excuse to take long autumn walks and collect cones or maybe they are already in your yard! Make sure to pick up all shapes and sizes for a nice full wreath of pine cones.
- (optional) Prepare your foam base by painting it with a light coat of gold or brown spray paint. Don’t get too close to the styrofoam as the paint can melt it. Taking this step will eliminate the need to fill exposed holes in the foam wreath.
- Using a grapevine wreath form or wire wreath form is another option but makes it trickier to get a full and even wreath shape. Skip this step if you plan to paint your pinecones after.
- Start on the inside of your wreath with smaller pinecones and hot glue them into place. If you pick the little knob off the bottom of the pinecone first it will lay flat and be easier to glue.
- After applying the glue make sure to press the pinecone into the wreath form for a few seconds to insure it will stick!
- One option for your pinecone pattern is to continue gluing pinecone rings using larger ones as you move towards the middle of the wreath form.
- If you prefer a more organic shape, glue pinecones on in a natural way with different shapes and sizes. Just make sure to spread the varying colors and sizes evenly. The texture will be AMAZING!
Painted pine cone wreaths: If you find that some of your green or white wreath foam is showing through you can fill in the gaps with pinecone petals or cover the entire wreath with a mist of gold spray paint. It will give it a nice shimmer perfect for the holidays.
Hang your wreath right onto a nail or wrap it with ribbon and hang.
Q&A for DIY Pinecone Wreaths
I’ve received a few questions on this post and wanted to provide answers in case you have any of the same questions.
- “I’ve read before that you need to bake your pinecones to kill any insects in them. Did you do that with yours?” That’s a great tip! Our pinecones sat in the sun for a few days. My friend’s wreath is only for outdoors and I spray-painted my wreath, hopefully, that killed any little critters.
- But if you are gathering pinecones from outside it is a good idea to bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
- “Are your wreaths flat on the back or did you completely cover the styrofoam?” I used a wreath form with a flat back so it lays nicely against a wall or door.
- “Did you start at the middle or back of the wreath to glue pinecones?” I started on the outside but have made other wreaths starting from the middle. Either way works!
Making pinecone wreaths takes some patience but it’s a fun DIY and it looks amazing! Have you tried making one? Do you have any other favorite pine cone crafts or ideas?
I hope you enjoyed learning about how to make a pinecone wreath. Check out 50+ decorating ideas and DIYs for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Halloween plus free printables!
Thanks for stopping by and happy Fall!
- How to Arrange Stacked Coffee Table Books BeautifullyLearn how to decorate with stacked coffee table books on different tables and favorite selections of colorful-eclectic and neutral books. Books are one of my favorite things to decorate with! They are often the base of a beautifully styled shelf or table. I enjoy reading and displaying them and have shared stories on how to…
- Be Inspired with Neutral Fall Decor Ideas in our Colorful Eclectic HomeNeutral Fall decor doesn’t have to be plain jane. Using natural elements, warm metallics, and eclectic embellishments can work in any decorating style from farmhouse decor to colorful maximalist design to create a cozy and intriguing Autumnal home. Welcome to our Fall home tour featuring neutral Fall decor ideas in our colorful-maximalist open concept living…
- See a Colorful Spring Home Tour with Maximalist Interiors and Easy Decorating TipsAre you drawn to maximalist interiors? Find simple decorating tips for creating a colorful room without looking cluttered this Spring. It’s much fun to see so many maximalist, cottage-core, granny-chic, and grand-millennial style words and interiors floating around the internet these days. What these words describe has been my decorating aesthetic for years, especially now…
- How to Create Beautiful Spring Vignettes and a Colorful Home TourSee how to create beautiful Spring vignettes with colorful and eclectic finds in this fun home tour featuring a maximalist style. Changing up decor for the season doesn’t have to be a chore! Have fun and play with what you already have. Find inspiration in over 20 home tours and style your own Spring vignettes….
- How to Style a Dresser with Five Beautiful IdeasLearn how to style a dresser with tall dresser decor ideas and tips for long dressers, odd windows, and wall-mounted TVs. Dressers and tall chests can be tricky to decorate. Here are some lovely examples that showcase pretty vignettes with various styles. Scroll down for tips for creating a perfectly styled dresser. Five Beautiful Dresser…