Follow these easy steps to make a pinecone wreath with a foam wreath form. It’s the perfect Fall or holiday door wreath on a budget!
Hi, y’all. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! It’s the perfect time of year for collecting pinecones and creating holiday crafts. I love the texture and shapes of pinecones so I’m sharing tips for making a pinecone wreath. It really is a lovely seasonal decor piece!
How to Make a Pinecone Wreath
If you are new here, howdy! I’m a recently retired military spouse who moved back to Texas after being gone 19 years. I’ve perfected the art of rental decorating and overcoming challenges in small spaces the last fifteen years but now am tackling home ownership with a new set of challenges! I love infusing colorful global style with DIYs and furnishings in our one story 60’s ranch style home.
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love.
Materials for a DIY Pinecone Wreath:
- Foam wreath form
- Lots of pinecones =)
- Hot-glue gun
- Jewelry wire (optional) We poked it through the styrofoam from the backside of the form, looped it back through, and twisted the ends together, leaving a little slack at the top for the “hanger”.
- Gold spray paint
This DIY gives you the perfect excuse to take long autumn walks and collect cones or maybe they are already in your yard! Make sure to pick up all shapes and sizes for a nice full wreath.
- (optional) Prepare your foam base by painting it with a light coat of gold or brown spray paint. Don’t get too close to the styrofoam as the paint can melt it. Taking this step will eliminate the need to fill exposed holes of the foam wreath. Using a grapevine wreath form is another option but makes it trickier to get a full and even wreath shape. Skip this step if you plan to paint your pinecones after.
- Start on the inside of your wreath with smaller pinecones and hot glue them into place. If you pick the little knob off the bottom of the pinecone first it will lay flatter and be easier to glue. After applying the glue make sure to press the pinecone into the wreath form for a few seconds to insure it will stick!
- One option for your pinecone pattern is to continue gluing pinecone rings using larger ones as you move to towards the middle of the wreath form.
- If you prefer a more organic shape, glue pinecones on in a natural way with a different shapes and sizes. Just make sure to spread the varying colors and sizes evenly. The texture will be AMAZING!
Painted pinecone wreath: If you find that some of your green or white wreath foam is showing through you can fill in the gaps with pinecone petals or cover the entire wreath with a mist of gold spray paint. It will give it a nice shimmer perfect for the holidays.
Hang your wreath right onto a nail or wrap with ribbon and hang.
Q&A for DIY Pinecone Wreaths
I’ve received a few questions on this post and wanted to provide answers if case you have any of the same questions.
“I’ve read before that you need to bake your pinecones to kill any insects in them. Did you do that with yours?” That’s a great tip! Our pinecones sat in the sun for a few days. My friend’s wreath is only for outdoors and I spray painted my wreath, hopefully that killed any little critters. But if you are gathering pinecones from outside it is a good idea to bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
“Are your wreaths flat on the back or did you completely cover the styrofoam?” I used a wreath form with a flat back so it lays nicely against a wall or door.
“Did you start at the middle or back of the wreath to glue pinecones?” I started on the outside but have made other wreaths starting from the middle. Either way works!
Making pinecone wreaths takes some patience but it’s a fun DIY and it looks amazing! Have you tried making one? Do you have any other favorite pine cone crafts or ideas? I love the look of bleached pinecones and painted pinecones for wreaths and I’ve also made a painted pinecone door swag that turned out so pretty!
I hope you enjoyed learning about how to make a pinecone wreath. Check out 50+ decorating ideas and DIYs for Fall, Thanksgiving, and Halloween plus free printables!
Thanks for stopping by and happy Fall!
- An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall PaintSee how easy it is to dramatically change a space with fresh white and black wall paint in the bathroom in this One Room Challenge update. *This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and options are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Up to Date Interiors possible. The power of paint is … Read More about An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall Paint
- Making Over a Bathroom on a BudgetFind ideas for updating a bathroom on a budget with DIYs that you can do yourself and my One Room Challenge week 2 progress. *This is a sponsored post with brands that I love and trust. Hello, my friend! Most of my big projects like the One Room Challenge have a slow start. This week … Read More about Making Over a Bathroom on a Budget
- How to Divide a Living Room and Dining Room Combo EasilyFind easy decorating tips for how to divide a living room and dining room combo with floor, wall, and furniture ideas. *This post contains gifted products and affiliate links to brands that I know and trust. Have you ever tried multiple room ideas before getting it just right? I’ve been struggling with our dining space … Read More about How to Divide a Living Room and Dining Room Combo Easily
- Beautiful Ideas for a Moody and Eclectic BathroomSee how I’m transforming our small space into a colorful and eclectic bathroom with moody vibes and a gallery wall for the One Room Challenge. *This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to products I love and is also sponsored by brands that I personally enjoy working with. It’s that time again! I’m … Read More about Beautiful Ideas for a Moody and Eclectic Bathroom
- Make a Beautiful DIY Cane Cabinet in 2 Easy StepsTransform a storage piece into a beautiful cane cabinet with this easy DIY using thrifted or IKEA furniture and web caning. Sometimes it is fun to go with a trend especially if you’re smitten with the idea. When you dream of your ideal decor and interior space, can you see cane furniture fitting in? I … Read More about Make a Beautiful DIY Cane Cabinet in 2 Easy Steps