Add to a beautiful floral Christmas tree DIY potpourri decoration ideas using faux pomegranates and velvet trim for a scented holiday.
Welcome back to A Very Global Christmas where my good friend Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living and I share twelve days of globally inspired decorating ideas and DIYs. We love doing this series every year and it has become my favorite way to kick off the holiday season.
Potpourri Decoration Ideas for Christmas
Yesterday we started off with Stephanie’s annual My Home Style Christmas Tree Blog Hop which is happening all week long with dozens of different bloggers and various styles of trees. Make sure to come back every day for more tree inspiration and over the next three weeks for A Very Global Christmas!
I shared my dream floral tree with pinks, reds, and purple flowers and leaf stems that match my grandmother’s portrait and our front room curtains. More is more in my book so I added decorative moss balls and DIY potpourri pomegranate ornaments.
Everything smells so nice when you are crafting with potpourri. It all started when I found a bag of “Partridge in a Pear Tree” potpourri from Tuesday Morning. After a flashback of my Advent Calendar with the same theme, I thought of ways to incorporate the inexpensive item into this year’s Christmas theme.
Originally I thought about filling plastic ornaments with the potpourri but after finding bags of faux pomegranates on clearance I divided to make potpourri pomegranate ornaments instead.
Potpourri is an inexpensive substitute for dried floral I think. Especially if you look at discount stores like Tuesday Morning and Ross.
Today’s story is for DIY Christmas ornaments so let’s get to it.
How to Make Potpourri Pomegranete Ornamnets
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
- Faux Pomegranetes (Oranges or pears would be perfect for Christmas too!)
- A bag of scented potpourri or other dried floral pieces
- Velvet Ribbon cut into 6-8 inch strips
- Hot Glue Gun
- Put a dot of glue near the pomegranate’s thick stem. Place the end of a velvet strip with the velvet side facing out. Hold in place a few seconds.
- Put another dot of hot glue right on top of the ribbon edge and fold the second edge over to glue in place. Hold in place a few seconds.
- Add more glue on top of the ribbon and add a small piece of potpourri. Hold in place a few seconds.
- Keep glue potpourri pieces around the stem until you have a look you like! You can alternate between a couple of different colors or stick with one type. I enjoyed keeping it organic looking.
Let completely dry before hanging. I kept my hot glue gun on the lower setting and the pieces dried in place quickly. I also appreciate that the lower setting doesn’t burn as much when you accidentally touch the glue!
When in doubt, use tone-on-tone with your material colors. I love all warm or cool tones together! The velvet curtains near the tree were my color inspiration.
The potpourri and pomegranates will keep making an appearance with more ideas this week! Did you know that potpourri originated in France and that pomegranates are used during Christmas in Greece?
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
In the meantime, I’m really loving the floral and fruity vibe with a delicious scent.
I hope you are enjoying this annual series as much as we are! You can find all things Christmas and winter holidays including free modern art prints, and printable decorating tips and gift tags on my Winter Decorating Page.
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of sparkle because you’re about to dive into a world of DIY glam pumpkins today! Why Go Gold When I Paint Metallic Pumpkins? Gold isn’t just…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern, and beautiful designs and latest technology is really a doable project for anyone. You are probably wondering if you can cover your textured wall with…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you ever felt limited by the colors in your home decor, like a beautiful lamp that just doesn’t quite fit with your current style? You’re not…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do you wish there was a way to infuse personality and style into your living space without breaking the bank? If you’ve ever felt like your…