Welcome to our summer eclectic home tour and blog hop where you’ll find lots of inspiration for global home decor ideas!
Are you looking for creative ways to incorporate global home decor without it looking dated or cluttered? Check out our fun global home tour with fresh and unique DIYs and decorating tips on a budget using travel and global souvenirs and unique home decor finds styled in a modern eclectic way.
Summer Home Tour with Global Home Decor
Welcome to my summer eclectic home tour! This is the first official home tour of our Iwakuni, Japan rental home. If this is your first time here, we are a military family stationed in Japan. We just moved from the beautiful island of Okinawa where we lived right on the ocean in a concrete bright and sunny home!
Now we get to experience true Japanese living in a traditional styled home with tatami mats, rice paper screens, fish oven (yep, that’s a thing!), and lots of natural wood and other materials.
I’m thrilled to be participating in an Eclectic Home Tour blog hop hosted by my good friend Jess from Domicile 37. There are some amazingly talented bloggers sharing their homes every day this week! Scroll down to find the lineup.
Konichiwa! Please come in (dozo!).
Global Home Decorating Ideas in the Entry
- Display an eclectic art gallery with global art, wall hangings, and items you’ve picked up traveling.
Here is our entry. True to Japanese fashion, there is plenty of shoe storage. I’ve used the open wall space to display some of our paintings and art from travels and a few pieces from Minted.
When you come into the foyer, the stairs are on the left with a powder room underneath the stairs. The stair wall was the perfect place to store/display our hats.
- Use vertical wall space to store and display a collection of hats.
Straight ahead is a French door to the living area and fusuma (Japanese panels that slide to define a space) to the tatami room (our dining room).
Global Decorating Ideas for the Living Room
- Use textiles to bring in global style with rugs, pillow covers, throws, soft wall hangings, and curtains.
Our house is small and reminds me of a charming cottage. I’ve really enjoyed infusing it with global eclectic flair unified by blue hues in every room. Perfect for summer decor!
You can read more about the house in these stories but I love that I was able to infuse our global -eclectic style with a faux fireplace area and plenty of wall decor in our rental with lots of restrictions.
- The Easy Way to Bring Hygge Decor into Your Space
- My Home Style: Mix and Match
- TV Stand Decorating Ideas
- Corral global decor finds in a pretty dish like I did with japanese floats for a simple approach to eclectic-global decorating!
The decor will probably stay pretty consistent a couple of years we will be here but I do enjoy changing around vignettes and textiles to reflect the season. I placed our Japanese glass floats and sea glass on the coffee table with a mix of bright floral, geometric, and global pillows on the sofa for the warmer months.
Dining Room Global Decorating Ideas
called tatami or washitsu in our Japanese rental home
- Use a piece of imported furniture for storage in the dining room. Global dining chairs can be paired with a traditional table for a global vibe.
- Incorporate plants in global storage containers like terracotta or chinoiserie styles.
- Display small collections of global items even if you use them. I did this with hand fans, napkin holders, chopsticks, and table linens on our Chinese eterege.
Find more ideas and DIYs in these recent stories with our dining room.
This room has gone through a few changes in the 6 months we have lived here. I really wanted the decor to flow with the Japanese architectural elements in the space; tatami mats, shoji doors, and wood trim.
I absolutely LOVE the direction it’s going. Just a few more tweaks and then it will be time for a complete before and after room reveal!
Global Decorating Ideas in the Kitchen
- Use peel and stick wallpaper, art, and plants for global style.
Once you walk through the French door, the kitchen is behind the living area. Thanks to the New Room New Refresh challenge last January, our little kitchen has quite a bit of personality with removable wallpaper, wall storage, and art.
There’s a little opening and windowpane that divides the kitchen from the living space. Straight ahead is my office nook and piano studio. I used the ledge to display a leaf in a sea glass bottle for a touch of tropical flair.
These are all the main spaces downstairs. Upstairs consists of one western bedroom, 2 tatami rooms, and a water closet. I’m super close to finishing the kids’ bedrooms (in the 2 tatami rooms) but for today’s tour, I’ll share our master bedroom.
Master Bedroom Global Decorating Ideas
- Use baskets from different countries as wall art.
- Try a mix and match of pillow textiles on your bed.
- Hang a tassel or other small global ornamnets on cabinet and door knobs/pulls.
Don’t miss the fun global DIYs in these bedroom stories.
The bright colors in our room are perfect for summer with the addition of a pineapple pillow. We were also lucky to have a second large garden window for more plants. The room is very small, I have to crab walk to get around the bed, but it has plenty of storage with large closets made to hold tatami bedding.
And that wraps global decorating ideas in our summer home tour. Thanks so much for stopping by!! Please enjoy the other tours below. My friend Erica’s gorgeous home at Designing Vibes is next!
Make sure to check out my summer page full of DIYs, decorating tips, and printables for the season.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- How to Arrange Stacked Coffee Table Books BeautifullyLearn how to decorate with stacked coffee table books on different tables and favorite selections of colorful-eclectic and neutral books. Books are one of my favorite things to decorate with! They are often the base of a beautifully styled shelf or table. I enjoy reading and displaying them and have shared stories on how to…
- Be Inspired with Neutral Fall Decor Ideas in our Colorful Eclectic HomeNeutral Fall decor doesn’t have to be plain jane. Using natural elements, warm metallics, and eclectic embellishments can work in any decorating style from farmhouse decor to colorful maximalist design to create a cozy and intriguing Autumnal home. Welcome to our Fall home tour featuring neutral Fall decor ideas in our colorful-maximalist open concept living…
- See a Colorful Spring Home Tour with Maximalist Interiors and Easy Decorating TipsAre you drawn to maximalist interiors? Find simple decorating tips for creating a colorful room without looking cluttered this Spring. It’s much fun to see so many maximalist, cottage-core, granny-chic, and grand-millennial style words and interiors floating around the internet these days. What these words describe has been my decorating aesthetic for years, especially now…
- How to Create Beautiful Spring Vignettes and a Colorful Home TourSee how to create beautiful Spring vignettes with colorful and eclectic finds in this fun home tour featuring a maximalist style. Changing up decor for the season doesn’t have to be a chore! Have fun and play with what you already have. Find inspiration in over 20 home tours and style your own Spring vignettes….
- How to Style a Dresser with Five Beautiful IdeasLearn how to style a dresser with tall dresser decor ideas and tips for long dressers, odd windows, and wall-mounted TVs. Dressers and tall chests can be tricky to decorate. Here are some lovely examples that showcase pretty vignettes with various styles. Scroll down for tips for creating a perfectly styled dresser. Five Beautiful Dresser…