Struggling with your tv stand decor? Check out these easy tips and tricks for different types of media stands and how to decorate around them!
Hey there! Today is one of those days where I’m getting down to the nitty-gritty of a major decorating struggle for a lot of people.
I know decorating around tv and media stands can be tricky and sometimes you have to come up with creative solutions for your tv placement and decor. I’m sharing some of my favorite ideas of ways to decorate around your tv.
We’ve moved around a lot the last 15 years due to being a recently retired military family so I’ve had to come up with a lot of creative solutions for TV stand ideas from small spaces in foreign countries to traditional living areas and bedrooms.
Read on for tips and tricks to get gorgeous tv stand decor and styling that you can’t mess up!
Tips for Decorating a Modern TV Stand
The first media stand we found at a thrift store in Okinawa, Japan. I loved the clean modern lines but had a hard time styling especially since it was in front of a window. After a few tries, here’s what I learned.
How to decorate around a tv stand:
- Start with a blank slate! This will give you a fresh perspective and room to try a couple of options. If your tv stand is in front of a window, use white curtains for an empty canvas.
- To keep styling easy peasy, use accessories in the same color family. I chose one side of the media stand for a grouping of two candles and a plant and the other side has one tall vase with stems.
- Keep accessories in groups of 3 or 5. Use a tray, books, or basket to coral them and /or add visual height.
A floor lantern that I turned into a plant terrarium is by adding a faux plant, brass animal, and a Japanese paper fan is another good option and has a more eclectic vibe. Its bigger scale takes up the entire space on one side of the tv.
If you have enough wall space around a modern tv stand try hanging a gallery wall like this stunning one from Homey Oh My.
TV Cabinets for Small Spaces
- Look for smaller dressers, side tables, and accent furniture to use as a small tv stand in a tight space.
When we were in our Japanese rental house in Iwakuni, Japan we had a very small space for our living room. We used the biggest tv we could find that could sit on a small chest of three drawers.
- Try placing the tv in a corner and at an angle of a small room.
Doing this, gave me a little more wiggle room for creating a pretty vignette around it.
Here’s how I decorated around our tv stand for an eclectic vibe. I anchored the small tv stand by using a small wood stool with books and a plant to cover the outlet and cords. The art above it on each wall helps creates a nice focal point for the room.
- Use a black cabinet to help blend in a tv.
I love using this trick! We had a small master bedroom in the same house as above.
I found a tall and skinny cabinet at the local thrift store for the tv sit on. It had an open shelf that was perfect for a little styling.
I kept the accessories in light and bold colors since the cabinet is so dark for a pretty contrast.
Decorating Around a TV and Dresser
I just had to include this example. Since we were active military living overseas we had to deal with government issued furniture.
If I can make that look good, I know what you’ll do will be a million times better if you try this tip!
- Place the tv off-center and create a gallery wall around it.
- Again, don’t forget the areas around your tv stand if you have the space.
Here I have a leaning floor mirror but a basket, plant, or little stool would work to complete the vignette.
- Another option is to mount the TV on the wall.
There was already a box and mount in our current house and after moving my grandmother’s dresser under the tv I created a gallery wall around it.
TV Built-In Cabinet Ideas (with fireplace)
Okay, now we are to our most recent setup. Lucky for us, our house has a fireplace with a custom built-in bookcase next to the mantel with an opening for a large tv.
First, if you have an off-centered tv on a large brick or stone wall, this is a great solution! Second, you could do the same thing with a free-standing bookcase if you anchor it to the wall.
- Paint the built-in black to blend in with the tv or white if your room is already dark. Here I painted the original brown bookcase white to be consistent with the trim and because the room does not have a lot of natural light.
- Style the built-in with light and neutral accessories and add in a few pops of black and white to help tie in the tv. (If you need some quick and easy styling tips, start here.)
- Try color coding decor and books on your media cabinet for an eye catching display! (Check out our eclectic and colorful home tour.)
If our living room TV was up against the wall I would love to try going opposite of light and paint the wall dark to really make art pop and the tv blend in. But I’m super happy with the colorful and eclectic style currently shown with the fireplace and built-ins.
We are huge movie buffs and since this our only living space, we embrace having a large tv and I think that it’s totally fine and looks pretty swell!
If you have a smaller tv or prefer it not to be the focal point, I hope you found the tips for smaller media stands and decor helpful.
Leave me a comment and let’s chat about decorating around TVs!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for FallFind simple decorating ideas for Fall by repurposing what you have in this colorful and eclectic home tour with maximalist style. The first official day of Fall is just around … Read More about A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for Fall
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateAn One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and a custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art