Struggling with your tv stand decor? Check out these easy tips and tricks for different types of media stands and how to decorate around them!
Greetings! I’m so glad you stopped by today. I know decorating around a tv stand can be tricky so I thought I would share our many examples of tv stand decorating ideas with tips.
We have lived in a few rentals and finally bought a house in my home state. Be inspired by modern tv stand decor ideas, small space tv cabinet ideas, and built in tv stand with fireplace.
Read on for tips and tricks to get gorgeous tv stand decor and styling that you can’t mess up!
Tips for Decorating a Modern TV Stand
Our first media stand we found at a thrift store in Okinawa, Japan. I loved the clean modern lines but had a hard time styling especially since it was in front of a window. After a few tries, here’s what I learned.
- Start with a blank slate! This will give you a fresh perspective and room to try a couple of options. If your tv stand is in front of a window, use white curtains for an empty canvas.
- To keep styling easy peasy, use accessories in the same color family. I chose one side of the media stand for a grouping of two candles and a plant and the other side has one tall vase with stems.
- Keep accessories in groups of 3 or 5. Use a tray, books, or basket to coral them and /or add visual height.
A floor lantern that I turned into a plant terrarium is by adding a faux plant, brass animal, and a Japanese paper fan is another good option and has a more eclectic vibe. Its bigger scale takes up the entire space on one side of the tv.
TV Cabinets for Small Spaces
- Look for smaller dressers, side tables, and accent furniture to use as a media stand in a small room.
When we were in our Japanese rental house in Iwakuni, Japan we had a very small space for our living room. We used the biggest tv we could find that could sit on a small chest of three drawers.
- Try placing the tv in a corner and at an angle of a small room.
Doing this, gave me a little more wiggle room for creating a pretty vignette around it.
I anchored the small tv stand by using a small wood stool with books and a plant to cover the outlet and cords. The art above it on each wall helps creates a nice focal point for the room.
- Use a black cabinet to help blend in a tv.
I love using this trick! We had a small master bedroom in the same house as above.
I found a tall and skinny cabinet at the local thrift store for the tv sit on. It had an open shelf that was perfect for a little styling.
I kept the accessories in light and bold colors since the cabinet is so dark for a pretty contrast.
Decorating Around a TV and Dresser
I just had to include this example. Since we were active military living overseas we had to deal with government issued furniture.
If I can make that look good, I know what you’ll do will be a million times better if you try this tip!
- Place the tv off-center and create a gallery wall around it.
- Again, don’t forget the areas around your tv stand if you have the space.
Here I have a leaning floor mirror but a basket, plant, or little stool would work to complete the vignette.
TV Built-In Cabinet Ideas (with fireplace)
Okay, now we are to our most recent set up. Lucky for us, our house has fireplace with a custom built in bookcase next to the mantel with an opening for a large tv.
First, if you have an off-centered tv on a large brick or stone wall, this is a great solution! Second, you could do the same thing with a free standing bookcase if you anchor it to the wall.
- Paint the built in black to blend in with the tv or white if your room is already dark. Here I painted the original brown bookcase white to be consistant with the trim and because the room does not have a lot of natural light.
- Style the built-in with light and neutral accessories and add in a few pops of black and white to help tie in the tv. (If you need some quick and easy styling tips, start here.)
- Try color coding decor and books on your media cabinet for an eye catching display! (Check out our current eclectic and colorful home tour.)
We are huge movie buffs and since this our only living space, we embrace having a large tv and I think that it’s totally fine and looks pretty swell!
If you have a smaller tv or prefer it not to be the focal point, I hope you found the tips for smaller media stands and decor helpful.
You might enjoy these posts!