How to Create Beautiful Two-Toned Walls with a Chair Rail
See how to create colorful two-toned walls with chair rails in this New Year New Room Refresh gallery hallway makeover update!
Our hallway makeover is down to the wire my friend!! Welcome back to the New Year New Room Refresh Challenge hosted by Stephanie from Casa Watkins Living. This fun annual series is where 12 of us bloggers transform a room in a month which puts our final reveals next week! Scroll down to the bottom to see all of the participants.
Blue and Green Two-Toned Walls with Chair Rail
I finished up the final wall paint color today with mint green. I knew I wanted a beautiful lighter color to compliment the upper Sherwin Williams Celtic Green that I had leftover from my bathroom makeover. I ordered some samples online at Lowe’s and did a quick locker pick-up after a long weekend of procrastination.
Have you tried that service? It’s so convenient and you don’t have to go completely inside the store. After deciding on another Sherwin Williams color, Inspiring Hue, I ordered a gallon just this morning and got to painting!
The first three weeks of the challenge I shared the before pictures with plans for a colorful gallery hallway makeover, a mood board featuring hallway rugs in blue, and how to use and install a chair railing (with crown molding) in a hallway. And that catches us up to this week.
Update: Now you can also find the final reveal in this story!
The hallway leads to three bedrooms and a hall bath which all feature light blue, mint, and green so it made sense to stick with the color palette for the hallway. I love that they are an “entry” to the bedrooms and it looks inviting and cozy from the living room which is in Sherwin Williams Alabaster White.
Even though the open layout living and dining rooms are painted white I do have colorful artwork and “feature/focal” walls. You can also view my maximalist bird office from the open layout. Here are how I used blues and greens throughout the house! Green is definitely the prominent color. And my favorite.
Rooms featured in gallery:
Living and Dining Room in a Summer Room Tour
Parisian Inspired Bedroom Makeover
Garden-Inspired Small Ensuite Bathroom
Classic Black and White Marble Bathroom
Tips on Selecting Colors for Two-Toned Walls with a Chair Rail
- Use two colors from the same color family.
- Use only warm colors are only cool colors.
- Select one color than it’s complimentary color on the color wheel.
- Use two different colors but with a similar tint or shade value (how light and dark they are). Also, try the opposit, light with dark or dark with light!
- Test with sample paints before comitting. Make sure you view during different times of the day and with artificial and natural lighting before commiting to gallons or quarts of paint!
I’m so pleased with how the color combo looks with the new rugs! I’m thrilled to be partnering with Mohawk Home again for this challenge. They are gifting me three runners and rug pads.
I am also being sponsored by Signature Hardware which is generously gifting a flush light fixture for the hallway makeover and new knobs for the entire house! Come back next week for all of the details and the final reveal!
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Here’s what’s left!
Sand the walls and repair any cracks Install crown molding and extra trim Install chair rail and extra trim Caulk, fill holes Paint doors and molding white Touch up ceiling paint Paint upper walls green Paint lower walls a lighter tint of green/blue
- Install new light fixture
- Install new door hardware
- Hang art
Make sure to see everyone’s progress below! I love our creative community and these girls always blow it out of the water!
Casa Watkins Living // Delineate Your Dwelling // Domicile 37 // House by Hoff // Iris Nacole // JZ Holmes // Live Pretty On A Penny // Love Your Abode // My Eclectic Nest // Our Fifth House // This Is Our Bliss // Up To Date Interiors
- Make a Beautiful DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies I already have. So pull out your fairy lights and I will share how to make flower lights in minutes! DIY Flower Garland Lights Welcome…
- Try a Beautiful and Easy DIY Moss Wreath for SpringLearn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath! You are in the right place friend if you would rather make beautiful Spring decor rather than put out generic store-bought home decor or spend $$$ on designer decor. It’s much more fun…
- How to Make an Elegant Spring Basket Wreath with Repurposed ItemsCreate an elegant basket wreath by repurposing baskets and faux floral stems you already have. Step by step instructions and video included. I’m so giddy about today’s basket wreath. Threshing baskets are so easy to come by and you probably have one or two around the house. With a little creative imagination, you can transform…
- Simple Tips for Decorating with Fake Flowers for SpringAdd a splash of seasonal decor to your home by decorating with fake flowers that look real and you can use them year after year! Artificial flowers have come a long way, so I decided to use them again in our early Spring home tour this year while I’m waiting for our garden to bloom….
- A Simple Formula for Mixing Metals in the Bathroom BeautifullyRules are made to be broken! Get creative with decorating by following easy tips for mixing metals in the bathroom tastefully. You may be wondering if you can mix metals in a bathroom. Around here, we love to break out of traditional design rules to input our personal style with our favorite decor and design…
Love all this blue and green! You mix your colors beautifully and I can’t wait to see the reveal.
Thank you so much Libbie! I’m really excited to have all of that color!