Create beautiful seasonal decor with gold-leaf watercolor Easter eggs. Follow easy step by step instructions for different techniques.
I love creating unique seasonal decor and gold-leaf and water color eggs were on the top of my list this year. Check out how easy it is to create these beauties.
Water Color Easter Eggs
What you need for gold-leaf watercolor eggs:
- Blown out eggs or fake ones. (DO NOT use water colors or craft paint on eggs you are intending to eat!) I love the plastic eggs I found at Wal-Mart. They look and feel exactly like a real egg and were under $2 for a dozen. (I did not get paid to say that.) 😉
- Water color paints, brush, and a cup of water for step 1.
- Gold leaf and a mixture of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water for step 2.
Alright, let’s get started. If you are comfortable with water colors, then have fun! Otherwise, you can follow my steps. I already have my colors ready at this point. (You can use a plastic plate or wax paper to put your paints on.)
How to create gold-leaf watercolor eggs:
- Submerge your egg into the cup of water and place it on an egg stand. (An upside-down egg carton works nicely too!)
- Dip your paint brush into the paint and start at the top of the egg with a small glob of color.
- Keep dipping your brush into the water and then on the paint glob with a little pressure to encourage the paint to run down the sides.
- Once you are happy with that color, add as many more as you would like but be careful not to muddle all of the colors together. I added a little color on top of the purple but pressed my brush on the exposed white parts of the egg too.
Another technique to try:
- Dry your brush (dab on a paper towel a couple of times), dip into paint, and dab all over the egg.
- Then use a second color and dab on the egg blending a little with the first color.
It’s just like sponge painting your walls because I know we have all been there, done that, right? 😉 Check out my “dabbed egg” with the teal and yellow for an example.
Once you are finished painting, let eggs dry about an hour before you add gold leaf.
To apply gold leaf, dip your brush into the glue/water mixture and start with a small amount on your egg (be careful, the glue will run) and then place a small bit of gold leaf on top.
Try not to handle the gold leaf too much otherwise your fingers will get all sticky and the gold leaf will come off. Once you are done with the gold leaf, very gently press your paint brush on top to smooth down the pieces.
There is no rhyme or reason on how I placed the gold leaf. Some eggs I add bigger pieces while others just a few specks.
I am beyond excited on how these turned out. Let me know what you do with your Easter eggs this year. Do you think you might try water-color or gold leaf?
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- My CoSchedule Review as a Blogger and Favorite FeaturesLooking for help with online scheduling? Check out my CoSchedule review as a blogger and what three features I use to get my posts seen. Please note that this review … Read More about Here’s How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs Easily
- How to Create a Beautiful Parisian Style BedroomWhat is Parisian style and how do you get it? Find out key elements for creating a Parisian style bedroom with budget-friendly DIYs and decorating tips. *This post contains affiliate … Read More about Here’s How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs Easily
- How to Remove a Tile Backsplash EasilyHow to remove tile backsplash without damaging the wall for a first-timer. Only a couple of tools needed for this easier-than-you-think DIY. Another first-time DIY in the books! I’ve been … Read More about Here’s How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs Easily
- Make a Beautiful DIY Bedskirt in 4 Easy stepsCreate a beautiful custom-made DIY bed skirt without sewing using 5 simple steps and get a high end look for less. Part of the One Room Challenge. This is a … Read More about Here’s How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs Easily
- How to Make Custom Curtains Without SewingLearn how to make beautiful custom curtains without sewing with an easy tutorial including step by step instructions and video. This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are … Read More about Here’s How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs Easily
Looking for help in the decorating department? Check out my FREE five-day email decorating course gives you the tools to learn all about how to decorate with inspiration, decorating and organizational tips and tricks, and related worksheets. Sign up now and receive our weekly newsletter, access to a growing library of printable art, and exclusive offers only for subscribers.