Create beautiful seasonal decor with gold-leaf watercolor Easter eggs. Follow easy step by step instructions for different techniques.
I love creating unique seasonal decor and gold-leaf and water color eggs were on the top of my list this year. Check out how easy it is to create these beauties.
Water Color Easter Eggs
What you need for gold-leaf watercolor eggs:
- Blown out eggs or fake ones. (DO NOT use water colors or craft paint on eggs you are intending to eat!) I love the plastic eggs I found at Wal-Mart. They look and feel exactly like a real egg and were under $2 for a dozen. (I did not get paid to say that.) 😉
- Water color paints, brush, and a cup of water for step 1.
- Gold leaf and a mixture of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water for step 2.
Alright, let’s get started. If you are comfortable with water colors, then have fun! Otherwise, you can follow my steps. I already have my colors ready at this point. (You can use a plastic plate or wax paper to put your paints on.)
How to create gold-leaf watercolor eggs:
- Submerge your egg into the cup of water and place it on an egg stand. (An upside-down egg carton works nicely too!)
- Dip your paint brush into the paint and start at the top of the egg with a small glob of color.
- Keep dipping your brush into the water and then on the paint glob with a little pressure to encourage the paint to run down the sides.
- Once you are happy with that color, add as many more as you would like but be careful not to muddle all of the colors together. I added a little color on top of the purple but pressed my brush on the exposed white parts of the egg too.
Another technique to try:
- Dry your brush (dab on a paper towel a couple of times), dip into paint, and dab all over the egg.
- Then use a second color and dab on the egg blending a little with the first color.
It’s just like sponge painting your walls because I know we have all been there, done that, right? 😉 Check out my “dabbed egg” with the teal and yellow for an example.
Once you are finished painting, let eggs dry about an hour before you add gold leaf.
To apply gold leaf, dip your brush into the glue/water mixture and start with a small amount on your egg (be careful, the glue will run) and then place a small bit of gold leaf on top.
Try not to handle the gold leaf too much otherwise your fingers will get all sticky and the gold leaf will come off. Once you are done with the gold leaf, very gently press your paint brush on top to smooth down the pieces.
There is no rhyme or reason on how I placed the gold leaf. Some eggs I add bigger pieces while others just a few specks.
I am beyond excited on how these turned out. Let me know what you do with your Easter eggs this year. Do you think you might try water-color or gold leaf?
Make sure to check out the best decorating ideas and DIYs for Spring and Easter! You’ll find loads of information with free checklists and cheatsheets.
- See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden AccentsCheck out our One Room Challenge white and grey bathroom makeover with colorful garden wallpaper and accents for our small master ensuite. When the world wearies and society fails to … Read More about See A Colorful White and Grey Bathroom with Garden Accents
- Bathroom One Room Challenge UpdateA One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started. Hey there! I can’t believe we are at … Read More about Bathroom One Room Challenge Update
- Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms DecoratingSummer decorating ideas for small, open-concept living and dining rooms with colorful and eclectic style. Combo living and dining rooms or open layouts can be tricky to define especially when … Read More about Bright and Colorful Summer Living and Dining Rooms Decorating
- Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and ArtOur small ensuite bathroom mood board update with colorful floral art and custom light fixture for the One Room Challenge. This post contains sponsored products by brands that I love … Read More about Ensuite Bathroom Updated Mood Board and Art
- How Colorful Interiors Inspire My LifestyleMy maximalist summer home tour with a look at home decor lifestyle tips for everyday use in the office and piano studio. I love finding new and creative ways to … Read More about How Colorful Interiors Inspire My Lifestyle