Love high-end decor but not the price tag? Make a West Elm copycat DIY dollar tree cake stand and enjoy modern decor for less.
Howdy! I’m back in Texas doing wedding planning for my sister and spending precious last moments with my grandmother.
I fell in love with a glossy black cake stand from West Elm when I was looking for pretty and modern Halloween decor in my “go-to” spots. Everything about it was perfect except for the price tag. $69 wasn’t exactly in my budget…. but Dollar Tree always is!
West Elm Inspired DIY Cake Stand
Check out how I made my own black cake stand for under $10 below. Actually, a whole two whopping buckaroos!
DIY Dollar Tree Cake Stand Supplies:
- Candlestick holder and glass dinner plate from Dollar Tree
- Glossy or Matte Black Spray Paint depending on your preference (I used a matte black because we already had a can in the garage…)
- Super Glue
- Newspaper, cardboard, or drop cloth
How to make a dollar store cake stand to look like it came from West Elm!
Learn from my mistake: Paint, then glue! (Otherwise, you will have a clear circle in the middle of the plate.)
- Place the plate and candle holder upside down on a newspaper/drop cloth outside. Follow the directions on the spray paint can or do the following. Shake the can for 60 seconds. Test the spray on a piece of scrap material first. Hold the can 12-18″ inches away from the item and spray moving the can evenly from side to side for a light consistent coat. Spray paint a second and then third coat if needed once the first coat is dry to the touch. Only spray paint the bottom of the plate but make sure all sides of the candlestick holder are covered.
- Place the dry painted candle holder right side up and squeeze a line of super glue around the rim of the holder. Center the plate right side up and press down on the candlestick holder for a few seconds. Let the glue completely cure before using. The superglue tube will tell you how long to let it dry.
Tip: Don’t spray paint the top of the glass plate. The black paint will show through the glass and it will still be food-safe! It also has a lovely glossy layer. 🙂
Handwash to prevent paint chipping!
Doesn’t my gilded pumpkin look spooktacular on it? 😉 The variations of this DIY are endless. Try using different size plates and candlestick holders and different colors of paint for a fun collection!
Here are some of my other favorite dollar store handmade ideas.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
It’s a perfect last-minute handmade decor item for your Halloween party or decor! See how I used it for my Witches Tea party.
Make sure to check out 50 + Fall seasonal and holiday decorating ideas, DIYs, and free printables for the season.
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! Casa Watkins Living and I are having so much fun sharing globally-influenced DIYs, decorating ideas, and more for A Very Global Christmas. Today is day … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and trying to repurpose or DIY most of my decor. Since we have 70% of our belongings in long term storage, including our Halloween decor, I did … Read more
- How to Make a Perfect Pinecone Wreath with Easy TipsFollow these easy steps to make a pinecone wreath with a foam wreath form. It’s the perfect Fall or holiday door wreath on a budget! Hi, y’all. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! It’s the perfect time of year for collecting pinecones and creating holiday crafts. Making wreaths is one of my favorite DIY projects … Read more
- An Easy DIY Textured Paint Vase and Planter Makeover IdeaGive your ceramic vases and planters an easy makeover with DIY textured paint to make them look like pottery! I’m in the middle of giving my living room a modern makeover. I decided to update a ceramic vase and a large gold ceramic planter with DIY textured paint to turn them into beautiful pottery pieces. … Read more
- How to Make Pillow Covers for Easy Seasonal Decorating on a DimeLearn how to make DIY pillow covers with an easy envelope pillowcase tutorial and change your decor on a dime. Seasonal decluttering, organizing and home crafts for Spring are such great DIY projects to get out of the winter blues. Today’s easy DIY is perfect for leftover and saved fabric remnants or a fun excuse … Read more