Love high-end decor but not the price tag? Make a West Elm copycat DIY dollar tree cake stand and enjoy modern decor for less.
Howdy! I’m back in Texas doing wedding planning for my sister and spending precious last moments with my grandmother.
I fell in love with a glossy black cake stand from West Elm when I was looking for pretty and modern Halloween decor in my “go-to” spots. Everything about it was perfect except for the price tag. $69 wasn’t exactly in my budget…. but Dollar Tree always is!
West Elm Inspired DIY Cake Stand
Check out how I made my own black cake stand for under $10 below. Actually, a whole two whopping buckaroos!
DIY Dollar Tree Cake Stand Supplies:
- Candlestick holder and glass dinner plate from Dollar Tree
- Glossy or Matte Black Spray Paint depending on your preference (I used a matte black because we already had a can in the garage…)
- Super Glue
- Newspaper, cardboard, or drop cloth
How to make a dollar store cake stand to look like it came from West Elm!
Learn from my mistake: Paint, then glue! (Otherwise, you will have a clear circle in the middle of the plate.)
- Place the plate and candle holder upside down on a newspaper/drop cloth outside. Follow the directions on the spray paint can or do the following. Shake the can for 60 seconds. Test the spray on a piece of scrap material first. Hold the can 12-18″ inches away from the item and spray moving the can evenly from side to side for a light consistent coat. Spray paint a second and then third coat if needed once the first coat is dry to the touch. Only spray paint the bottom of the plate but make sure all sides of the candlestick holder are covered.
- Place the dry painted candle holder right side up and squeeze a line of super glue around the rim of the holder. Center the plate right side up and press down on the candlestick holder for a few seconds. Let the glue completely cure before using. The superglue tube will tell you how long to let it dry.
Tip: Don’t spray paint the top of the glass plate. The black paint will show through the glass and it will still be food-safe! It also has a lovely glossy layer. 🙂
Handwash to prevent paint chipping!
Doesn’t my gilded pumpkin look spooktacular on it? 😉 The variations of this DIY are endless. Try using different size plates and candlestick holders and different colors of paint for a fun collection!
Here are some of my other favorite dollar store handmade ideas.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
It’s a perfect last-minute handmade decor item for your Halloween party or decor! See how I used it for my Witches Tea party.
Make sure to check out 50 + Fall seasonal and holiday decorating ideas, DIYs, and free printables for the season.
- How to Make Pillow Covers for Easy Seasonal Decorating on a DimeLearn how to make DIY pillow covers with an easy envelope pillowcase tutorial and change your decor on a dime. Seasonal decluttering, organizing and home crafts for Spring are such great DIY projects to get out of the winter blues. Today’s easy DIY is perfect for leftover and saved fabric remnants or a fun excuse…
- Give Your Glass Kitchen Canisters a Makeover with this Easy DIYTry an easy kitchen canister makeover with a simple DIY to give glass jars a stylish update with copper lids and chalkboard labels. Looking for ways to spruce up the kitchen on a budget? I’m excited to share a glass canister DIY that is perfect for displaying out on the kitchen counter or shelf. Glass…
- Create a Boho Basket Wall Decor in a Few Easy StepsSpruce up your wall with a DIY boho basket wall decor using thrift store baskets and paint. Perfect for renters and adding a pop of color. Hi there! After sharing our kitchen progress yesterday (which is a bit of a challenge), I’m thrilled to share this cool and eclectic DIY wall art for our…
- How to DIY Copper and Chalk Seasoning Jars with PaintUpdate your spice and seasoning jars with an easy DIY using copper and chalk paint. Display them in a unique container! It can be so satisfying to have functional and pretty decor in the kitchen. Make your own copper lid spice jars with chalk labels using this simple DIY and enjoy a lovely display in…
- Make a West Elm Inspired Dollar Tree Cake StandLove high-end decor but not the price tag? Make a West Elm copycat DIY dollar tree cake stand and enjoy modern decor for less. Howdy! I’m back in Texas doing wedding planning for my sister and spending precious last moments with my grandmother. I fell in love with a glossy black cake stand from West…