A One Room Challenge small ensuite bathroom update for week seven. A race to the finish line as is just getting started.
Hey there! I can’t believe we are at week 7 of the One Room Challenge where 100s of featured and guest designers have eight weeks to transform a space. This fun series is sponsored by Better Homes and Gardens and is one of my favorite places for interior inspiration sources.
You can find our bathroom design and decorating tips below plus what’s been going on with our
makeover full renovation:
- Week One: How to Work with a Small Ensuite Bathroom Design
- Week Two: Beautiful and Small Ensuite Bathroom Ideas to Try
- Week Three: How to Choose Bathroom Tiles: A Step by Step Guide
- Week Four: Room Makeover DIY Ideas Before and Afters that are Amazing
- Week Five: The Best Bathroom Plants for No-low Light
- Week Six: An Updated Mood Board and the Realities of a Bathroom Reno
One Room Challenge Small Ensuite Bathroom Update
We are tackling our small ensuite master bathroom this time around but have encountered many setbacks. The last four weeks have been dealing with termite and water damage that turned a simple bathroom makeover into a complete gut job.
But I’m happy to announce with just a short week left for this challenge, we actually have walls and a ceiling! My contractor is busy working through Father’s day/ June Nineteenth weekend to get the tile started and hopefully the majority will be completed by Monday.
While I’ve been sitting on my thumbs, itching to get my hands on a project, I decided to nix painting the walls and wallpaper instead. The ceiling and moulding will be painting in a complimentary color. It will be tone on tone and with my Aunt’s floral painting going back in, a maximalist vibe. I selected this wallpaper from Home Depot called Wildwood. Here’s a new mock-up of the vanity wall.
Our vanity arrived damaged so I had to reorder it but it should arrive here in a couple of days. Fingers crossed the second one isn’t damaged! I’m holding off buying paint until I see the wallpaper in person but have plenty of Sherwin Williams’ paint cards in different hues of green to compare when it arrives.
That will leave me a few short days to wallpaper and paint but I can totally knock it out in 2 days which leaves one day for reveal pictures. I have a back up plan of splitting the reveal into two weeks if anything else gets delayed.
We had recently purchased some new towels and I still love the gold hotel-style towel rack I put in a couple of years ago. That and a rustic bench we bought in Japan will go back into the room when it is complete.
After I researched and shared an article about the best plants for low-light bathrooms, I’ve decided to bring in a few for the reveal. I’m really excited about that! There is a lot of green going into the classic white and marble design with subtle pops of grey. It is going to be so pretty!
That leaves one more project which is to refinish an antique six-panel door to replace the pocket door. It will hang on a brass barn door kit in our bedroom. That’s a lot for the next seven days but we are working around the clock to get it finished!
BATHROOM TO DO LIST:
Demo bathroomContractor Check walls for damageand fix if necessary (almost there!!) Contractor
- Shower surround, floor, and niche Contractor
- Wainscotting tile Contractor
- Marble flooring installation Contractor
- Reroute plumbing and install a new vanity Contractor
- Install faucets and trim (it’s here and GORGEOUS!) Contractor
Sand texture down on walls(Won’t need to as the drywall will be brand new!) Me
- Wallpaper walls Me
- Paint the ceiling Me
- Paint the trim Me
- Install frameless shower door Contractor
- Install vanity light, mirror, and towel rack Me
- Clean up and paint salvaged door Me
- Install barn door kit and hang door Contractor
- Decorate! Me