Fun Advent Calendar Ideas for Kids with Free Printable
Create your own DIY advent calendar with an IKEA scarf holder and felt! Download and print advent calendar ideas for kids.
One of our favorite holiday time traditions is looking forward to checking the advent calendar every day in December. Last year I created a colorful advent calendar with verses from the Christmas story in each box plus a little sweet treat and fun holiday prize. This year I decided to create a children’s Christmas advent calendar ideas for kids with holiday activities.
DIY Advent Calendar for Kids with Free Printable Activites
Welcome to day four of A Very Global Christmas with Casa Watkins Living and Up to Date Interiors. We are sharing twelve days of holiday DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas and you might have guessed it but today’s theme is Advent Calendars.
Make a Christmas calendar with IKEA scarf holder and felt!
I love using items from my crafting and decor closet for seasonal DIYs. I’ve been hanging on to an IKEA scarf holder that wasn’t getting used and decided it would be perfect for an advent calendar. I also had a few packages of felt squares from Daiso (the 100 yen store).
This seasonal DIY is simple to make but a little more time consuming than my other Christmas tutorials. Expect to spend about two hours putting this colorful advent together.
- Cut the bottom row of rings off the scarf holder. Singe the threads with a lighter to prevent raveling.
- Fold 24 felt squares to create a pocket by bringing the bottom up 2/3rds of the way so the opening is in the middle. Iron flat to create a crease. This will make it much easier to cut.
- Use a piece of thick paper to trace a circle from the scarf holder. Make sure to trace the outside part. Cut out the circle and use as a template for the felt.
- Cut a circle shape out of your felt. Glue the front half circle along the curve to the bottom full circle.
- Put a ring of hot glue on a circle of the scarf holder. Place the felt pocket face down.
- Repeat until you have all 24 holes covered with a felt pocket.
- Print and cut out advent activities. Sign up below for you free printables!
- Place one in each pocket.
Sign up for your own copy of advent calendar activity ideas to complete the DIY!
Isn’t it so cute? You can always fill those pockets with other holiday nuggets or use it everyday as jewelry storage!
We decided to hang the DIY Christmas calendar in our daughter’s room. I love how the colors play on her wallpaper and wall color!
You can find all of my Christmas decorating ideas and DIYs on this page. Make sure to check out Stephanie’s DIY Advent Calendar!
- Make a Beautiful DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies…
- Try a Beautiful and Easy DIY Moss Wreath for SpringLearn how to make a DIY moss wreath with blossoms on a grapevine wreath form for a simple and beautiful Spring wreath! You are in the right place friend if…
- How to Make an Elegant Spring Basket Wreath with Repurposed ItemsCreate an elegant basket wreath by repurposing baskets and faux floral stems you already have. Step by step instructions and video included. I’m so giddy about today’s basket wreath. Threshing…
- Simple Tips for Decorating with Fake Flowers for SpringAdd a splash of seasonal decor to your home by decorating with fake flowers that look real and you can use them year after year! Artificial flowers have come a…
- A Simple Formula for Mixing Metals in the Bathroom BeautifullyRules are made to be broken! Get creative with decorating by following easy tips for mixing metals in the bathroom tastefully. You may be wondering if you can mix metals…
YES YES and Another YEs! I love this idea and such a great upcycle idea too! I think I could fit in little toys in there too. I wouldn’t be shocked to find lego people in mine. LOL
Lego people would be perfect!