Create your own DIY advent calendar with an IKEA scarf holder and felt! Download and print advent calendar ideas for kids.
One of our favorite holiday time traditions is looking forward to checking the advent calendar every day in December. Last year I created a colorful advent calendar with verses from the Christmas story in each box plus a little sweet treat and fun holiday prize. This year I decided to create a children’s Christmas advent calendar ideas for kids with holiday activities.
DIY Advent Calendar for Kids with Free Printable Activites
Welcome to day four of A Very Global Christmas with Casa Watkins Living and Up to Date Interiors. We are sharing twelve days of holiday DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas and you might have guessed it but today’s theme is Advent Calendars.
Make a Christmas calendar with IKEA scarf holder and felt!
I love using items from my crafting and decor closet for seasonal DIYs. I’ve been hanging on to an IKEA scarf holder that wasn’t getting used and decided it would be perfect for an advent calendar. I also had a few packages of felt squares from Daiso (the 100 yen store).
This seasonal DIY is simple to make but a little more time consuming than my other Christmas tutorials. Expect to spend about two hours putting this colorful advent together.
- Cut the bottom row of rings off the scarf holder. Singe the threads with a lighter to prevent raveling.
- Fold 24 felt squares to create a pocket by bringing the bottom up 2/3rds of the way so the opening is in the middle. Iron flat to create a crease. This will make it much easier to cut.
- Use a piece of thick paper to trace a circle from the scarf holder. Make sure to trace the outside part. Cut out the circle and use as a template for the felt.
- Cut a circle shape out of your felt. Glue the front half circle along the curve to the bottom full circle.
- Put a ring of hot glue on a circle of the scarf holder. Place the felt pocket face down.
- Repeat until you have all 24 holes covered with a felt pocket.
- Print and cut out advent activities. Sign up below for you free printables!
- Place one in each pocket.
Sign up for your own copy of advent calendar activity ideas to complete the DIY!
Isn’t it so cute? You can always fill those pockets with other holiday nuggets or use it everyday as jewelry storage!
We decided to hang the DIY Christmas calendar in our daughter’s room. I love how the colors play on her wallpaper and wall color!
- Blue and White Laundry Room Update with PaintThe New Year, New Refresh challenge week 3 progress for my blue and white laundry room with paint and wallpaper update. Well friend, I actually made good progress this week. … Read More about Blue and White Laundry Room Update with Paint
- An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and DryerAdd a DIY shelf behind your washer and dryer with this simple tutorial and hide the hoses while adding extra storage. Welcome back to the New Year, New Refresh where … Read More about An Easy DIY Shelf for Behind the Washer and Dryer
- A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy UpdatesFind easy ways to add color and style to your laundry room refresh with materials you already have in the New Year New Room Refresh challenge. Happy New Year! There’s … Read More about A Laundry Room Refresh with Easy Updates
- Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place CardsFind an easy DIY for bottle brush place card holders to use with free printable Christmas place cards on your holiday table this year! We made it! Welcome to Day … Read More about Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place Cards
- An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in MinutesAn easy pink Christmas table setting inspired by French, modern-bohemian style and my grandmother’s Dresden china. Do you use family heirlooms around the holidays? I’ve been gifted my grandmother’s Dresden … Read More about An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in Minutes