Create your own DIY advent calendar with an IKEA scarf holder and felt! Download and print advent calendar ideas for kids.
One of our favorite holiday time traditions is looking forward to checking the advent calendar every day in December. Last year I created a colorful advent calendar with verses from the Christmas story in each box plus a little sweet treat and fun holiday prize. This year I decided to create a children’s Christmas advent calendar ideas for kids with holiday activities.
DIY Advent Calendar for Kids with Free Printable Activites
Welcome to day four of A Very Global Christmas with Casa Watkins Living and Up to Date Interiors. We are sharing twelve days of holiday DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas and you might have guessed it but today’s theme is Advent Calendars.
Make a Christmas calendar with IKEA scarf holder and felt!
I love using items from my crafting and decor closet for seasonal DIYs. I’ve been hanging on to an IKEA scarf holder that wasn’t getting used and decided it would be perfect for an advent calendar. I also had a few packages of felt squares from Daiso (the 100 yen store).
This seasonal DIY is simple to make but a little more time consuming than my other Christmas tutorials. Expect to spend about two hours putting this colorful advent together.
- Cut the bottom row of rings off the scarf holder. Singe the threads with a lighter to prevent raveling.
- Fold 24 felt squares to create a pocket by bringing the bottom up 2/3rds of the way so the opening is in the middle. Iron flat to create a crease. This will make it much easier to cut.
- Use a piece of thick paper to trace a circle from the scarf holder. Make sure to trace the outside part. Cut out the circle and use as a template for the felt.
- Cut a circle shape out of your felt. Glue the front half circle along the curve to the bottom full circle.
- Put a ring of hot glue on a circle of the scarf holder. Place the felt pocket face down.
- Repeat until you have all 24 holes covered with a felt pocket.
- Print and cut out advent activities. Sign up below for you free printables!
- Place one in each pocket.
Sign up for your own copy of advent calendar activity ideas to complete the DIY!
Isn’t it so cute? You can always fill those pockets with other holiday nuggets or use it everyday as jewelry storage!
We decided to hang the DIY Christmas calendar in our daughter’s room. I love how the colors play on her wallpaper and wall color!
- It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating IdeasJoin the Bloggers Best Spring Home Tours all week and see how I’ve decorated the second half of my eclectic home for this seasonal tour. Howdy! I can officially wish … Read More about It’s Time for a Spring Eclectic Home Tour with Easy Decorating Ideas
- Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 MinutesMake a beautiful flower garland with fairy lights, flowers, and floral wire for a unique Spring decorating accessory! I adore coming up with a quick seasonal DIY using crafting supplies … Read More about Make DIY Flower Garland with Fairy Lights in 5 Minutes
- Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home TourEnjoy a Spring home tour full of colorful-eclectic decor using second-hand finds and family heirlooms with plenty of DIYs. Looking for Spring decor inspiration? Then look no further, my friend. … Read More about Welcome to a Colorful and Eclectic Spring Home Tour
- Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple StepsUpdate a plain basket with decorative floral wire and flower stem to create a cute boho Easter basket for Spring. Some of the best DIYs take a little imagination and … Read More about Make A Boho Easter Basket in Two Simple Steps
- A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table SettingTry a beautiful blue and white table setting with global touches using second hand decor for a cheerful Spring or Easter gathering. I am so excited to share not only … Read More about A Cheerful Springtime Global Blue and White Table Setting