Create your own DIY advent calendar with an IKEA scarf holder and felt! Download and print advent calendar ideas for kids.
One of our favorite holiday time traditions is looking forward to checking the advent calendar every day in December. Last year I created a colorful advent calendar with verses from the Christmas story in each box plus a little sweet treat and fun holiday prize. This year I decided to create a children’s Christmas advent calendar ideas for kids with holiday activities.
DIY Advent Calendar for Kids with Free Printable Activites
Welcome to day four of A Very Global Christmas with Casa Watkins Living and Up to Date Interiors. We are sharing twelve days of holiday DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas and you might have guessed it but today’s theme is Advent Calendars.
Make a Christmas calendar with IKEA scarf holder and felt!
I love using items from my crafting and decor closet for seasonal DIYs. I’ve been hanging on to an IKEA scarf holder that wasn’t getting used and decided it would be perfect for an advent calendar. I also had a few packages of felt squares from Daiso (the 100 yen store).
This seasonal DIY is simple to make but a little more time consuming than my other Christmas tutorials. Expect to spend about two hours putting this colorful advent together.
- Cut the bottom row of rings off the scarf holder. Singe the threads with a lighter to prevent raveling.
- Fold 24 felt squares to create a pocket by bringing the bottom up 2/3rds of the way so the opening is in the middle. Iron flat to create a crease. This will make it much easier to cut.
- Use a piece of thick paper to trace a circle from the scarf holder. Make sure to trace the outside part. Cut out the circle and use as a template for the felt.
- Cut a circle shape out of your felt. Glue the front half circle along the curve to the bottom full circle.
- Put a ring of hot glue on a circle of the scarf holder. Place the felt pocket face down.
- Repeat until you have all 24 holes covered with a felt pocket.
- Print and cut out advent activities. Sign up below for you free printables!
- Place one in each pocket.
Sign up for your own copy of advent calendar activity ideas to complete the DIY!
Isn’t it so cute? You can always fill those pockets with other holiday nuggets or use it everyday as jewelry storage!
We decided to hang the DIY Christmas calendar in our daughter’s room. I love how the colors play on her wallpaper and wall color!
- What are Dado Rails and How to Use Them in the HallwayWhat is dado railing? Learn more about this common molding and a creative way on how to easily update a boring hallway. Howdy! Welcome back to the New Year New … Read More about What are Dado Rails and How to Use Them in the Hallway
- Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware IdeasOur hallways are getting a refresh this month and I’m narrowing down choices for blue hallway runners and light and hardware this week. Howdy! Welcome back to the New Year … Read More about Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware Ideas
- Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before PicturesCheck out what I have planned to turn a dark hallway into a colorful are gallery in just four weeks for the New Year New Room Refresh. Happy New Year! … Read More about Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before Pictures
- A Maximalist Holiday House Tour with Easy DIYsWelcome to our maximalist holiday house tour full of globally inspired DIYs, floral, fruit, and garland mixed with colorful room designs. Greetings friend! I’m thrilled to be joining my talented … Read More about A Maximalist Holiday House Tour with Easy DIYs
- How to Make a Free Caroling Booklet with a Christmas Carols PDFPrint out your own free Christmas carols PDF and turn it into a caroling booklet with a beautiful cover and binding. Christmas Caroling has been around for centuries! Is there … Read More about How to Make a Free Caroling Booklet with a Christmas Carols PDF