Create your own DIY advent calendar with an IKEA scarf holder and felt! Download and print advent calendar ideas for kids.
One of our favorite holiday time traditions is looking forward to checking the advent calendar every day in December. Last year I created a colorful advent calendar with verses from the Christmas story in each box plus a little sweet treat and fun holiday prize.
This year I decided to create a children’s Christmas advent calendar ideas for kids with holiday activities.
DIY Advent Calendar for Kids with Free Printable Activites
Welcome to day four of A Very Global Christmas with Casa Watkins Living and Up to Date Interiors. We are sharing twelve days of holiday DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas and you might have guessed it but today’s theme is Advent Calendars.
Make a Christmas calendar with IKEA scarf holder and felt!
I love using items from my crafting and decor closet for seasonal DIYs. I’ve been hanging on to an IKEA scarf holder that wasn’t getting used and decided it would be perfect for an advent calendar. I also had a few packages of felt squares from Daiso (the 100 yen store).
This seasonal DIY is simple to make but a little more time consuming than my other Christmas tutorials. Expect to spend about two hours putting this colorful advent together.
- Cut the bottom row of rings off the scarf holder. Singe the threads with a lighter to prevent raveling.
- Fold 24 felt squares to create a pocket by bringing the bottom up 2/3rds of the way so the opening is in the middle. Iron flat to create a crease. This will make it much easier to cut.
- Use a piece of thick paper to trace a circle from the scarf holder. Make sure to trace the outside part. Cut out the circle and use as a template for the felt.
- Cut a circle shape out of your felt. Glue the front half circle along the curve to the bottom full circle.
- Put a ring of hot glue on a circle of the scarf holder. Place the felt pocket face down.
- Repeat until you have all 24 holes covered with a felt pocket.
- Print and cut out advent activities. Sign up below for you free printables!
- Place one in each pocket.
Sign up for your own copy of advent calendar activity ideas to complete the DIY!
Isn’t it so cute? You can always fill those pockets with other holiday nuggets or use it everyday as jewelry storage!
We decided to hang the DIY Christmas calendar in our daughter’s room. I love how the colors play on her wallpaper and wall color!
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! … Read more
- Crafting Feathered Friends: A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Paper Mache BirdsLearn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.“ Birds of a feather stick … Read more
- How to Make Fabric Picture Frames: An Easy Boho Tutorial!Revamp old picture frames with boho flair! This step-by-step DIY tutorial shows how to make fabric picture frames perfect for gifting or decor. Do you love creating handmade gifts for … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and … Read more
- Easy Matching Mother Daughter Halloween Costume Ideas with Clothes You Already HaveUse clothes in your closet to create easy and creative costume ideas for mother and daughter halloween or costume party outfits. Howdy, friend. The joy of dressing up and letting … Read more