Create your own DIY advent calendar with an IKEA scarf holder and felt! Download and print advent calendar ideas for kids.
One of our favorite holiday time traditions is looking forward to checking the advent calendar every day in December. Last year I created a colorful advent calendar with verses from the Christmas story in each box plus a little sweet treat and fun holiday prize. This year I decided to create a children’s Christmas advent calendar ideas for kids with holiday activities.
DIY Advent Calendar for Kids with Free Printable Activites
Welcome to day four of A Very Global Christmas with Casa Watkins Living and Up to Date Interiors. We are sharing twelve days of holiday DIYs, decorating tips, and entertaining ideas and you might have guessed it but today’s theme is Advent Calendars.
Make a Christmas calendar with IKEA scarf holder and felt!
I love using items from my crafting and decor closet for seasonal DIYs. I’ve been hanging on to an IKEA scarf holder that wasn’t getting used and decided it would be perfect for an advent calendar. I also had a few packages of felt squares from Daiso (the 100 yen store).
This seasonal DIY is simple to make but a little more time consuming than my other Christmas tutorials. Expect to spend about two hours putting this colorful advent together.
- Cut the bottom row of rings off the scarf holder. Singe the threads with a lighter to prevent raveling.
- Fold 24 felt squares to create a pocket by bringing the bottom up 2/3rds of the way so the opening is in the middle. Iron flat to create a crease. This will make it much easier to cut.
- Use a piece of thick paper to trace a circle from the scarf holder. Make sure to trace the outside part. Cut out the circle and use as a template for the felt.
- Cut a circle shape out of your felt. Glue the front half circle along the curve to the bottom full circle.
- Put a ring of hot glue on a circle of the scarf holder. Place the felt pocket face down.
- Repeat until you have all 24 holes covered with a felt pocket.
- Print and cut out advent activities. Sign up below for you free printables!
- Place one in each pocket.
Sign up for your own copy of advent calendar activity ideas to complete the DIY!
Isn’t it so cute? You can always fill those pockets with other holiday nuggets or use it everyday as jewelry storage!
We decided to hang the DIY Christmas calendar in our daughter’s room. I love how the colors play on her wallpaper and wall color!
- How to Make Pillow Covers for Easy Seasonal Decorating on a DimeLearn how to make DIY pillow covers with an easy envelope pillowcase tutorial and change your decor on a dime. Seasonal decluttering, organizing and home crafts for Spring are such…
- How to Recover Chair Cushions without SewingTake the guesswork out of reupholstering with this easy tutorial for how to recover chair cushions without sewing. Recovering dining room chair cushions is one of the easiest ways to…
- How to Arrange Stacked Coffee Table Books BeautifullyLearn how to decorate with stacked coffee table books on different tables and favorite selections of colorful-eclectic and neutral books. Books are one of my favorite things to decorate with!…
- Be Inspired with Neutral Fall Decor Ideas in our Colorful Eclectic HomeNeutral Fall decor doesn’t have to be plain jane. Using natural elements, warm metallics, and eclectic embellishments can work in any decorating style from farmhouse decor to colorful maximalist design…
- See a Colorful Spring Home Tour with Maximalist Interiors and Easy Decorating TipsAre you drawn to maximalist interiors? Find simple decorating tips for creating a colorful room without looking cluttered this Spring. It’s much fun to see so many maximalist, cottage-core, granny-chic,…