Eclectic glam decor ideas for an open concept living and dining space infused with bold colors and global style. Week 1 of the One Room Challenge.
I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am for the One Room Challenge this spring! A six-week room makeover from complete renovations to cosmetic updates that feature 20 amazing design influencers and guest bloggers with many sponsors including media sponsor Better Homes & Gardens.
It is really the bee’s knees for interior blog challenges and I’m so glad I have the opportunity to participate as a guest blogger again. The design and decorating possibilities are endless for me now that we own a home again.
Eclectic Glam Decor Plans for an Open Concept Living Dining Room
UPDATE: Week One: Eclectic and Glam Inspiration for an Open Concept | Week Two: How to Update Furniture with Peel and Stick Wallpaper | Week Three: Small Dining Room Decorating Ideas | Week Four: DIY a German Smear Mortar Wash for Under $10 | Week Five: Stencil Your Foyer for a Beautiful Makeover | Week Six: Eclectic Glam Open Concept Living Areas
*This post is sponsored by some wonderful companies. As always all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that help make this blog possible.
First I wanted to introduce myself to you if this is your first time here! I’m Kathy, a late 30 something-year-old mother, pianist, linguist, and passionate decorator and online influencer whose husband recently retired from 20 years in the Marine Corps.
We were hugely blessed to spend our twilight tour in Japan for four years and relocated to Fort Worth (home for me) last Fall.
We have been in our new-to-us 60’s ranch for about six months now. Usually, I don’t wait so long to get our main living areas up to par with our style, but finally, time is on our side. I’ve enjoyed trying different things with our open concept floor plan and furniture arranging and now am ready to go big or go home. HA!
Without further ado, let me introduce you to the interior space and my generous sponsors. You will be hearing more about some of my favorite brands throughout the updates and reveal posts!
Our main living area serves three purposes. We have the tv/fireplace side, a piano studio across from that space, and a small dining area between the living and kitchen.
I had fun sharing the open living concept for a colorful spring home tour and am happy to take it to the next level! A tricky part of the space is where the piano is but I have a plan. 😉 Here is what it looked like at Christmas.
The Eclectic Glam Design Inspired by Jim Thompson
Jim Thompson was a silk designer and instrumental in revitalizing the silk industry in Thailand. He was famous for his use of bright colors and intricate patterns and even designed the original costumes for the Broadway play The King and I! (How cool is that!)
One of my favorite trips, while we lived in Asia, was visiting Bangkok and getting the chance to learn more about him and tour his house. We picked up a couple of notecards from the Jim Thompson gift shop that has beautiful and interesting bird designs. They are my inspiration for this challenge!
I plan on capturing Thompon’s design esthetic by using blue and green textiles and paint but also include global elements and warm colors in boho vintage patterns.
I’m still finalizing all of the details but here is what I have planned so far. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves and list the resources for the items that are still available online.
*This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
I’m in the market for a sofa. Do you have a favorite you’ve found online!? I need suggestions please. 🙂
Now for the to-do list which I’m sure will grow!
Reupholster grandparent’s armchairs with blue velvet and bird fabric
- Paint front picture window black
- Paint green focal wall
- Paint window hardware gold and hang curtains with rings
- Makeover music cabinet with removable wallpaper and paint
- Install new foyer light
- Stencil foyer walls
- Add fringe to arch floor lamp
- German schmear technique on fireplace stone
- Hang curtains with rings
- Reupholster two barrel chairs in mink or blush velvet
- Purchase a new sofa
- Paint french doors trim black
- Paint leather chair cognac
- Sew lumbar pillow
- Reupholster two more dining chairs
- Add fringe to loveseat
- Install chandelier
- Stencil dining room wall
- Paint buffet
- Add trim/moulding if foundation issues are resolved
- Add rugs, lights, textiles, and art
- Style, style, style
Whew!! Better get started. lol
Would love to know if you are participating! Leave me a comment so I can follow along.
Check back next week for the first updates!
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of sparkle because you’re about to dive into a world of DIY glam pumpkins today! Why Go Gold When I Paint Metallic Pumpkins? Gold isn’t just…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern, and beautiful designs and latest technology is really a doable project for anyone. You are probably wondering if you can cover your textured wall with…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you ever felt limited by the colors in your home decor, like a beautiful lamp that just doesn’t quite fit with your current style? You’re not…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do you wish there was a way to infuse personality and style into your living space without breaking the bank? If you’ve ever felt like your…