Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before Pictures
Check out what I have planned to turn a dark hallway into a colorful are gallery in just four weeks for the New Year New Room Refresh.
Happy New Year! I can’t believe it is already time for another New Year New Room Refresh. This fun challenge is hosted by my dear friend Casa Watkins Living and this will be our seventh year doing it!
I started making over our small rental homes when we lived in Japan but have really taken advantage of this series to update our current home in Fort Worth Texas. You can see the dramatic before and afters of my daughter’s bedroom, my windowless office, and last year’s laundry room.
A Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover
This year I contemplated the last two interior areas that I haven’t done much with which are our kitchen and hallway. I decided to go with the hallway because right now it has an unfinished hall closet and door, lots of ugly patchworks that continues into our master bedroom. And our kitchen isn’t as much of an eyesore for us. lol
So during this four-week challenge, I hope to completely transform our dark ugly hallway and touch up our master bedroom and repair a few drywall cracks throughout the house before my husband returns back to school in a couple of weeks!
New Year new Room Refresh
Week 1: Colorful Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Plans and Before Pictures
Week 2: Beautiful Blue Hallway Runner and Gold Light and Hardware Ideas
Week 3: What are Dado Railings and How do You Install them
Week 4: Two-Toned Walls with Chair Molding
Week 5: Art Gallery Hallway Makeover Reveal
Doesn’t that sound exciting? Here’s what I envision.
First the problems we want to address:
- Constant seasonal cracks
- No natural light and a dark outdated flush mount ceiling light
- Small space with 8 ft ceilings
Just like most of the makeovers in this house, my goal is to make the area look as big and bright as possible and wall treatments to help camouflage cosmetic foundation problems.
- Board and batten wall treatment in both hallways and continue the crown molding from what we have in the living room.
- A pop of color on the walls to feature art!
- New light fixture and hopefully a few gallery lights.
- New rugs that feel more sophisticated and appropriately sized than our current ones.
- Lots of fresh paint!
A little more about the two hallways. The first small hallway is what you see when you come in the front door and where I want to start the board and batten wall and art gallery. I love the idea of it being an entrance to the bigger hallway and wrapping around the corner instead of just doing the long hallway.
The gallery art wall pieces are light and almost neutral with touches of purple and green and I really want to see them against a color!
I plan on keeping my thrifted mirror at the end of the first hallway and reusing the full gallery wall art in both hallways above the board and batten with a few new editions as needed.
We’ve talked about adding another sun tunnel like the one in my office but I know a new light fixture will do wonders and look fabulous in front of the mirror. I would love to add more lighting with battery-operated remote control gallery lights on a few of the larger paintings.
A couple of other things that I want to achieve is a more sophisticated clean look but with the colorful maximalist vibe that is in the rest of our home and new architectural details. My ideal makeover would include new door hardware and a pair of new or old corbels at the opening of the long hallway.
This week I plan on finalizing the materials and plans and getting started on the wall sanding and moldings before my husband starts the Spring semester for his doctorate. Filling holes, caulking, and painting I can do easily on my own to finish up.
Hallway Makeover Inspiration
I’ll have a mood board ready for you next week but here are a few visual references that have the style I want!
I love the all-over color in this room makeover from I Spy DIY. I think I can get a similar feel with tone on tone or green and white which would flow better with the living room.
I mentioned a few times I think that I’m using green! I have multiple shades and tints in our house and am leaning towards the paint I used on our master bathroom ceiling and windowsill.
It’s time to get these hallways on par with the rest of my New Year New Room Refresh spaces!
Here’s a breakdown of what needs to happen.
- Sand the walls and repair any cracks
- Install crown moudling
- Install board and battan treament
- Caulk, fill holes, and paint board and battan white
- Paint doors and moudling white
- Touch up ceiling paint
- Paint upper walls green
- Install new light fixutre
- Install new door hardware?
- Hang art
- Place rugs
- Hang gallery lights
Make sure to visit the other participants! They are so inspiring!
Casa Watkins Living // Delineate Your Dwelling // Domicile 37 // House by Hoff // Iris Nacole // JZ Holmes // Live Pretty On A Penny // Love Your Abode // My Eclectic Nest // Our Fifth House // This Is Our Bliss // Up To Date Interiors
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
- DIY a German Smear Mortar Wash for Under $10Try this easy and inexpensive DIY tutorial to achieve a german schmear mortar wash on a stone or brick fireplace for just a few dollars! Welcome back to the One Room Challenge, a six-week-long room makeover challenge featuring twenty designers and hundreds of guest participants like myself. We are already at week four which means…
- Organic Modern Living Room Reveal and How to Replicate the Key ElementsCheck out how our organic modern living room makeover, learn what the style is, and see how to create the look in your home. This post contains sponsored and affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. All thoughts and opinions are my own. You can read my full disclosure here. Welcome to…
- Try this Easy and Modern Fireplace Facelift for a Floating MantelCheck out this before-and-after fireplace facelift for a floating mantel to give it a beautiful modern makeover on a budget. Are you looking for a way to beautify your floating fireplace mantel? See how we transformed our floating farmhouse fireplace mantel in a beautiful modern traditional style with a super easy DIY for under $30….
- A Modern Living Room Mood Board for an Easy Room RefreshA modern living room mood board with a green velvet sofa for an easy room makeover with resources and room pictures. Happy New Year! Do you feel tired and blah after the holidays or are you refreshed and excited for a blank slate and a fresh start? I’m the latter thanks to the New Year…
- See Our Elegantly Colorful Gallery Wall Hallway Makeover Before and After!Welcome to a dramatic before and after transformation of a colorful gallery wall hallway with green and blue paint, brass, and plenty of art! *This post is sponsored by two brands, Signature Hardware, and Mohawk Home, and may contain some affiliate links for your shopping convenience. You can read my full disclosure here. Welcome to…
Plenty of wonderful ideas for a change! I look forward to seeing them
Thanks so much Jamala!