An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall Paint
See how easy it is to dramatically change a space with fresh white and black wall paint in the bathroom in this One Room Challenge update.
*This is a sponsored post. All thoughts and options are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Up to Date Interiors possible.
The power of paint is a wondrous thing, my friend. I’m so excited to share my experience using Clare paint in beautiful white and black wall colors to update our bathroom for the One Room Challenge. Let me tell you, Clare made the process so easy and convenient that the usual chore was actually fun!
White and Black Wall Paint in the Bathroom
Let me first share a quick recap of this fun bi-annual challenge. The One Room Challenge with official media sponsor Better Homes and Gardens is a 6-week long room makeover featuring 20 designers and 100s of guest participants like myself. We all share weekly updates with a final reveal at the end of the series.
Find all of the related articles and reveal below:
- Week 1: Beautiful Ideas for a Moody and Eclectic Bathroom
- Week 2: Making Over a Bathroom on a Budget
- Week 3: An Easy and Beautiful Look with White and Black Wall Paint (you are here)
- Week 4: One Room Challenge Bathroom Progress with Updated Renderings
- Week 5: How to Hang Unpasted Wallpaper by Yourself
- Week 6: A Classic Black and White Marble Bathroom Reveal
Before and After with White and Black Walls
I’ve been wanting to try Clare paint ever since I first heard about this pioneering paint brand that ships zero VOC, GREENGAURD Gold Certified, high-quality paint, and supplies right to your front door!
So when they said yes to sponsoring my One Room Challenge I asked for mess-free paint samples of their beautiful deep and moody hues and bright whites. With help from my Instagram followers, I decided on using Snow Day and Blackish.
The white and black wall paint colors came with a paint can opener, stir sticks, rollers, and pan so I was able to start right away.
I started with the black wall paint as I was anxious to see how it looked in the small-dark bathroom. It was definitely the right choice!
The two walls around the toilet were the only two I painted dark to showcase the new marble tile going in (hopefully soon!) and an art gallery wall.
I was pleased with the ease Clare paint went on and only needed one coat with minimal touch-ups. The roller they sent was perfect for the crow’s foot texture walls.
The gray cabinets near the toilet were here when we bought the house and I was on the fence whether or not to change the color. After seeing them next to the dark paint I think they will stay. It is such a sophisticated color combo for a kids’ bathroom and I love it! The art wall is really going to pop.
Moving on to the vanity side which I wanted bright white was a quick and easy two coats of paint. It dries quickly to the touch so there wasn’t any time wasted getting it done. I also painted the medicine cabinet white that was sticking out like a sore thumb.
Check out what a difference the white made! I also had my husband remove the middle door as we are having professionals widen that area.
Our new light fixture from Crystorama arrived just in time for pictures so I went ahead and installed the vanity light and a new mirror. I’ll give you all the details in the reveal post!
The dramatic black and white sides of the two spaces will be stunning when the bathroom is completed! Check out this post to see what else is going into the space.
A huge thank you to these wonderful sponsors for helping me make this gorgeous bathroom a reality.
Here’s what I have left to do in the next three weeks:
Have the light switched box on one side moved to the vanity side Remove the door between the bath and vanity areaand expand the walkway Repair the drywall Sand the ceiling on the vanity side Paint the vanity side, trim, door, and medicine cabinet white Paint the tub/toilet side black with black trim
- Install cove molding on the vanity side
- Apply wallpaper to the ceiling
Add gold pulls to the cabinets Hang the new light fixture Hang new mirror
- Install marble and gold shelf over toilet
- Hang new shelf under vanity mirror
- Install new faucet
- Change the towel hangers to an antique hook
- Have professional tilers install new tub surround and flooring
- Have professional refinish tub
- Replace tub faucet, drain, and cover
- Sew a custom extra-long shower curtain
- Make a faux roman shade
Update toilet holder
- Hang gallery wall
- Add new rugs and other decor
- Learn how to find your design style with simple tips and tricks!A guide for “how to find my design style” in your house with designer tips and tricks that will help you be confident with decorating. Do you know what looks…
- Pretty and Practical: Simple Storage Ideas for Any SpaceLearn how to incorporate beautiful, creative, and simple storage solutions that elevate both form and function in your home. Are you tired of cluttered and disorganized spaces in your home,…
- Making Floral Arrangements Easy and Beautiful with Simple DIY MethodsDon’t wilt under pressure – find simple DIY methods for making floral arrangements beautiful with fake or real flowers. Who doesn’t love flowers? They are the icing on the cake…
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and create a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! …
- Bring the Outdoors In: Decorate with These Beautiful Bird PrintablesJoin over 2,000 subscribers and receive weekly newsletters, exclusive offers, and monthly freebies like free bird printables art straight to your inbox. My free bird printable art is a great…
Wow! That is a very pretty white. I’ve been meaning to try her paint. Glad to know that you love it.
It felt more like fun than work! I would definitely use Clare again. 🙂
Love the black paint and your leopard print top Kathy! Looking forward to seeing the rest 😉
Aw thanks Lisa! I love that sweater. lol
Wow!!! That black paint totally transformed it! Like whoa. It’s going to be so so beautiful!
Aw thanks my friend. xoxo
This is an amazing article, I had no idea that you can paint your wall with white and black. A friend of mine showed me this trick when we were painting our walls together. So I decided to try it on my own and now it’s really easy for me to do the same thing every day at home. Thanks for sharing this great article with us, I will definitely share it on my social media accounts!
Thank you Randy!