Learn how to paint plastic ornaments with a beautiful floral pattern to update your Christmas tree this year.
Links in this post are Amazon affiliate links to products I love.
Are you looking for a way to change your Christmas tree this year without having to buy new ornaments? Try this easy tutorial to update plastic ornament balls with paint!
How to Paint Plastic Ornaments
Check out our unique Christmas tree styles and part one of holiday home tours from the first two days. Make sure to join our free Facebook group, Very Global Home, to get more exclusive details and live crafting sessions.
My Christmas decor this year is inspired by Renior and reflects a French, modern-bohemian style. I wanted to add ornaments that fit into the vibe without having to spend money. I decided to update older plastic ornament balls with paint markers in an easy floral pattern.
What you need to paint plastic ornaments:
How to paint a floral pattern:
Start by painting three ovals for the large flower petals in light pink. Paint a smaller darker oval (red) on each petal and then outline part of that with orange once the paint dries. Fill in the middle with a white circle. Finish with three little black dots. Don’t worry about trying to paint perfect flowers as this is a more abstract pattern. They remind me of Rifle Paper Co patterns, right?
Paint stems and leaves using two different colors. Add in more flowers around the ornament.
Use purple and blue paint marks to create a purple flower vine.
Use the ornament you just painted as a template for a batch of ornaments. I have a collection of sake cups that I used to keep the ornaments in place. You could also use an empty egg carton, napkin rings, or egg cups as stands.
I love the pop of floral on our tree and they were really fun to paint!
Now let’s go see Stephanie’s DIY Ornaments!
- Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place CardsFind an easy DIY for bottle brush place card holders to use with free printable Christmas place cards on your holiday table this year! We made it! Welcome to Day … Read More about Make Mini Tree Holders for Free Printable Christmas Place Cards
- An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in MinutesAn easy pink Christmas table setting inspired by French, modern-bohemian style and my grandmother’s Dresden china. Do you use family heirlooms around the holidays? I’ve been gifted my grandmother’s Dresden … Read More about An Elegant Pink Christmas Table Setting in Minutes
- How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements Look GoodCreate beautiful artificial flower arrangements with these simple tips. Perfect for a holiday centerpiece or any time of the year. I’m not going to lie, flower arranging has never been … Read More about How to Make Artificial Flower Arrangements Look Good
- French, Modern-Bohemian Christmas Home TourWelcome to our French, Modern-bohemian Christmas home tour part of the annual Very Merry Christmas Home Tour Blog hop! I’m thrilled to be joining Carrie from Lovely Etc.‘s annual blog … Read More about French, Modern-Bohemian Christmas Home Tour
- Make Decoupage Coasters in Two Easy Steps Gift IdeaLooking for an easy gift idea? Try a set of decoupage coasters with globally inspired patterns and dollar store supplies. Don’t you love receiving a beautiful and thoughtful gift that … Read More about Make Decoupage Coasters in Two Easy Steps Gift Idea