Learn how to paint plastic ornaments with a beautiful floral pattern to update your Christmas tree this year.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience to brands I love. You still pay the same price but I may earn a small commission.
Are you looking for a way to change your Christmas tree this year without having to buy new ornaments? Try this easy tutorial to update plastic ornament balls with paint!
How to Paint Plastic Ornaments
Check out our unique Christmas tree styles and part one of holiday home tours from the first two days. Make sure to join our free Facebook group, Very Global Home, to get more exclusive details and live crafting sessions.
My Christmas decor this year is inspired by Renior and reflects a French, modern-bohemian style. I wanted to add ornaments that fit into the vibe without having to spend money. I decided to update older plastic ornament balls with paint markers in an easy floral pattern.
What you need to paint plastic ornaments:
How to paint a floral pattern:
Start by painting three ovals for the large flower petals in light pink. Paint a smaller darker oval (red) on each petal and then outline part of that with orange once the paint dries. Fill in the middle with a white circle. Finish with three little black dots. Don’t worry about trying to paint perfect flowers as this is a more abstract pattern. They remind me of Rifle Paper Co patterns, right?
Paint stems and leaves using two different colors. Add in more flowers around the ornament.
Use purple and blue paint marks to create a purple flower vine.
Use the ornament you just painted as a template for a batch of ornaments. I have a collection of sake cups that I used to keep the ornaments in place. You could also use an empty egg carton, napkin rings, or egg cups as stands.
I love the pop of floral on our tree and they were really fun to paint!
Now let’s go see Stephanie’s DIY Ornaments!
- Make Your Own Shell Place Card Holders for Beautiful Table DecorGet the look for less with these gorgeous Joss & Main-inspired DIY sea shell place card holders. It only takes two steps to create! Today’s craft was inspired by seashell…
- DIY Ranunculus Flowers A Simple Guide for Lasting BloomsCreate gorgeous DIY ranunculus flowers with tissue paper, craft glue, and florist tape/wire. The perfect bouquet that lasts forever. Hello, my crafty friend! Today, I’m super excited to share with…
- Make Modern Valentine’s Decor With DIY Clay HeartsCreate charming clay heart ornaments with this easy DIY guide. Perfect for Valentine’s decor, gifts, and more. Step-by-step instructions are included! Greetings friends! I have a little Modern Valentine’s project…
- Here’s How to Make Gold-leaf Watercolor Easter Eggs EasilyCreate beautiful seasonal decor with gold-leaf watercolor Easter eggs. Follow easy step-by-step instructions for different techniques. I love creating unique seasonal decor and gold-leaf and watercolor eggs were on the…
- Cheerful Blooms: A Colorful Floral Spring Home Tour with Free PrintableJoin our colorful floral Spring home tour. Find creative decor ideas that bring cheerful floral accents and vibrant colors to every room. Warm greetings, dear friend and fellow decor enthusiast….