Be inspired by three easy methods for beautifully styled bookshelves and follow along the step-by-step process to recreate the look.
Take the guesswork out of perfectly styled bookshelves.
Well hi there! What a day I had yesterday. It started with a Core Barre Class (which was my first time and totally kicked my rear) and ended by completely redecorating our den. So, needless to say, I am
a little sore. 😉
Beautiful Styled Bookshelves
Welcome back to the Love Your Space Challenge where we are making small changes for 28 days to fall in love with our homes again!
We are finishing up our living spaces today with one more task for challenge #5. I have been getting some great feedback and can’t wait to get started on our sleeping spaces tomorrow.
If you have completed any of the previous challenges, I would love to hear about them and see pics of your pretty spaces on Up to Date’s Facebook page. You can find all of the challenges in the links at the bottom of this post if you have missed any of them.
Three Ways to Style a Bookcase or Built In Shelves
First, let me say you can style your bookcase with what you already have and in your personal style. So if you enjoy a more minimal and neutral color palette or love a busier colorful curated collection just follow the general steps outlined below with an option that speaks to you.
The examples are all my own. They are bookcases and built-ins we’ve had in the many homes we’ve lived in so you might spot repeated items or furniture. 😉
You can reach out to me at email@example.com or on social media and I’m happy to help!
Option 1: The rule of thirds.
- Remove everything off your shelves and dust if needed. 😉
- Evenly distribute 1/3 of books, 1/3 of pictures, and 1/3 of objects on a shelf at a time. Books can lean and/or be stacked. Try changing the order of where the books are on each shelf to keep the eye moving around.
- Use brightly colored small paintings and prints instead of photos, and color-code your books to make the bookcase styling pop! On the flip side, focus on different textures and keep everything neutral for a beautiful serene setting. Make sure you leave enough negative space so all of your pretty things have a spotlight. Less is usually more!
Option 2: Throw out the rules, go for a curated look!
- If you have a lot of lovely books, fill a few shelves with only books but add some “breathing room” with a few accessories on a couple of shelves or display pictures with command strips on the frame of the bookcase.
- Display music and coffee table books in stacks with a colorful print in the background.
Option 3: Books aren’t your thing or you have more accessories than books.
- Collect similar objects from around the house to display as a collection. Tip: If you have a dark wood bookcase, try using white or lighter accessories and picture frames for a pretty contrast.
- Go with a theme like coastal using seaglass and shell or boho with plants and vintage decor.
- Create a dedicated color story by using accessories in one color family or a contrasting pair.
- Again you can go simple, maximalist, or somewhere between. Just make sure each shelf has a similar feel with quanity and size of decorating objects.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Love Your Space Challenge Tasks
Week 1 Living Spaces
- Challenge #1: Move a Piece of Furniture
- Challenge #2: Hang Something New on Your Wall
- Challenge #3: Style Your Coffee Table
- Challenge #4: Add Fresh Air
- Challenge #5: Style Your Bookcase
Week 2 Sleeping Spaces
- Challenge #6: Change Your Textiles (bedding)
- Challenge #7: Change Your Drawer Knobs
- Challenge #8: Have Your Clothes Ready to Wear
- Challenge #9: Dress Your Dresser
- Challenge #10: Be Ready for Guests
Week 3 Eating Spaces
- Challenge #11: Set Up a Tea/Coffee Station
- Challenge #12: Spruce Up Your Seating
- Challenge #13: Organize Your Pantry. Fast.
- Challenge #14: Style Your Buffet/Sideboard
- Challenge #15: Treat Your Kitchen Window
Week 4 Bathroom, Laundry Room, and Office
- Challenge #16: Make Your Bathroom Pretty
- Challenge #17: Organize your Laundry Room
- Challenge #18: Repurpose Something!
- Challenge #19: Conquer Paper Clutter
- Challenge #20: Organize a Junk Drawer
Okay, let’s do this!!
For more ideas on decorating with books, check out these creative ways to decorate with books!
This project may take a little time but is worth the result. Are you up for the challenge?
- How to Paint Candles with Ombre for a Simple Scandi CenterpieceElevate your candle game by using our step-by-step tutorial for painting ombre candles and creating a beautiful Scandi centerpiece. Hello friend. I hope this holiday season is treating you right! Casa Watkins Living and I are having so much fun sharing globally-influenced DIYs, decorating ideas, and more for A Very Global Christmas. Today is day … Read more
- Crafting Feathered Friends: A Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Paper Mache BirdsLearn how to make paper mache birds with supplies you already have using this easy DIY and step by step instructions for handmade modern decor.“ Birds of a feather stick together at least when they are covered with paper mache. Let’s make paper mache birds and let our creativity take flight. It truly is amazing … Read more
- How to Make Fabric Picture Frames: An Easy Boho Tutorial!Revamp old picture frames with boho flair! This step-by-step DIY tutorial shows how to make fabric picture frames perfect for gifting or decor. Do you love creating handmade gifts for your friends and family as much as I do? Check out this super simple DIY fabric frame guide and discover how to cover a picture … Read more
- How to Make a Pom Pom Garland in 3 Easy StepsLearn how to make an adorable DIY pom pom garland in three simple steps, and decorate your home with this playful accessory. I enjoy decorating with neutrals during the holidays and trying to repurpose or DIY most of my decor. Since we have 70% of our belongings in long term storage, including our Halloween decor, I did … Read more
- Easy Matching Mother Daughter Halloween Costume Ideas with Clothes You Already HaveUse clothes in your closet to create easy and creative costume ideas for mother and daughter halloween or costume party outfits. Howdy, friend. The joy of dressing up and letting your imagination run wild knows no limit and that’s why I’m here today. My daughter and I are excited to share our fun journey into … Read more