Be inspired by three easy methods for beautifully styled bookshelves and follow along the step-by-step process to recreate the look.
Take the guesswork out of perfectly styled bookshelves.
Well hi there! What a day I had yesterday. It started with a Core Barre Class (which was my first time and totally kicked my rear) and ended by completely redecorating our den. So, needless to say, I am
a little sore. 😉
Beautiful Styled Bookshelves
Welcome back to the Love Your Space Challenge where we are making small changes for 28 days to fall in love with our homes again!
We are finishing up our living spaces today with one more task for challenge #5. I have been getting some great feedback and can’t wait to get started on our sleeping spaces tomorrow.
If you have completed any of the previous challenges, I would love to hear about them and see pics of your pretty spaces on Up to Date’s Facebook page. You can find all of the challenges in the links at the bottom of this post if you have missed any of them.
Three Ways to Style a Bookcase or Built In Shelves
First, let me say you can style your bookcase with what you already have and in your personal style. So if you enjoy a more minimal and neutral color palette or love a busier colorful curated collection just follow the general steps outlined below with an option that speaks to you.
The examples are all my own. They are bookcases and built-ins we’ve had in the many homes we’ve lived in so you might spot repeated items or furniture. 😉
You can reach out to me at email@example.com or on social media and I’m happy to help!
Option 1: The rule of thirds.
- Remove everything off your shelves and dust if needed. 😉
- Evenly distribute 1/3 of books, 1/3 of pictures, and 1/3 of objects on a shelf at a time. Books can lean and/or be stacked. Try changing the order of where the books are on each shelf to keep the eye moving around.
- Use brightly colored small paintings and prints instead of photos, and color-code your books to make the bookcase styling pop! On the flip side, focus on different textures and keep everything neutral for a beautiful serene setting. Make sure you leave enough negative space so all of your pretty things have a spotlight. Less is usually more!
Option 2: Throw out the rules, go for a curated look!
- If you have a lot of lovely books, fill a few shelves with only books but add some “breathing room” with a few accessories on a couple of shelves or display pictures with command strips on the frame of the bookcase.
- Display music and coffee table books in stacks with a colorful print in the background.
Option 3: Books aren’t your thing or you have more accessories than books.
- Collect similar objects from around the house to display as a collection. Tip: If you have a dark wood bookcase, try using white or lighter accessories and picture frames for a pretty contrast.
- Go with a theme like coastal using seaglass and shell or boho with plants and vintage decor.
- Create a dedicated color story by using accessories in one color family or a contrasting pair.
- Again you can go simple, maximalist, or somewhere between. Just make sure each shelf has a similar feel with quanity and size of decorating objects.
Join me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes, DIYs, decorating tips, room tours, and home inspiration. I’ll see you over there!
Love Your Space Challenge Tasks
Week 1 Living Spaces
- Challenge #1: Move a Piece of Furniture
- Challenge #2: Hang Something New on Your Wall
- Challenge #3: Style Your Coffee Table
- Challenge #4: Add Fresh Air
- Challenge #5: Style Your Bookcase
Week 2 Sleeping Spaces
- Challenge #6: Change Your Textiles (bedding)
- Challenge #7: Change Your Drawer Knobs
- Challenge #8: Have Your Clothes Ready to Wear
- Challenge #9: Dress Your Dresser
- Challenge #10: Be Ready for Guests
Week 3 Eating Spaces
- Challenge #11: Set Up a Tea/Coffee Station
- Challenge #12: Spruce Up Your Seating
- Challenge #13: Organize Your Pantry. Fast.
- Challenge #14: Style Your Buffet/Sideboard
- Challenge #15: Treat Your Kitchen Window
Week 4 Bathroom, Laundry Room, and Office
- Challenge #16: Make Your Bathroom Pretty
- Challenge #17: Organize your Laundry Room
- Challenge #18: Repurpose Something!
- Challenge #19: Conquer Paper Clutter
- Challenge #20: Organize a Junk Drawer
Okay, let’s do this!!
For more ideas on decorating with books, check out these creative ways to decorate with books!
This project may take a little time but is worth the result. Are you up for the challenge?
- DIY Scalloped Christmas Trees – 5 Steps Guide!Create your own festive DIY Scalloped Felt Christmas Trees with this easy guide! Perfect for holiday decor, these charming trees add handmade warmth to your home. Hello, wonderful follower! It’s that time of the year again when the festive cheer spreads through the air, and what better way to welcome the season than with a…
- Your Quick Guide to Crafting DIY Gilded Pumpkins and GourdsCraft gorgeous DIY gilded pumpkins and gourds for chic Fall decor with just a few supplies and easy step-by-step instructions. Let me give your traditional Thanksgiving décor a hint of sparkle because you’re about to dive into a world of DIY glam pumpkins today! Why Go Gold When I Paint Metallic Pumpkins? Gold isn’t just…
- Wallpaper on Textured Walls: Yes, You Can! Here’s HowDon’t let textured walls hold you back! Follow our tips and tricks for a beautiful finish with different types of wallpaper. Wallpaper is everywhere again and with its fresh, modern, and beautiful designs and latest technology is really a doable project for anyone. You are probably wondering if you can cover your textured wall with…
- Revamp Your Space: Easy Lamp Makeover Ideas to Update Your DecorBring new life into your decor with a DIY lamp makeover using paint and ribbon. Transform a mismatched lamp into an updated stylish one! Hey there, dear reader! Have you ever felt limited by the colors in your home decor, like a beautiful lamp that just doesn’t quite fit with your current style? You’re not…
- Creating Your Perfect Wall Gallery: Tips and TricksFind inspiration for art wall galleries with a few fun DIYs, styling tips, art arrangement ideas, and beautiful examples. Are you tired of staring at your plain, empty walls? Do you wish there was a way to infuse personality and style into your living space without breaking the bank? If you’ve ever felt like your…