Neutral Fall decor doesn’t have to be plain jane. Using natural elements, warm metallics, and eclectic embellishments can work in any decorating style from farmhouse decor to colorful maximalist design to create a cozy and intriguing Autumnal home.
Welcome to our Fall home tour featuring neutral Fall decor ideas in our colorful-maximalist open concept living areas. I’m really excited to be participating again in A Stroll Through Life’s annual Fall home tour blog hop. Marty has a beautiful home and is a gracious host to organize seasonal blog hops.
Although it’s a little embarrassing to admit, my last home update was from her Spring blog hop. I desperately needed a summer off and it was marvelous but I’m so ready to be creating again!
Colorful Eclectic Home Tour with Neutral Fall Decorating Ideas
What is neutral Fall decor?
If you are coming from Quarters One, welcome! I’m sure you enjoyed her darling cottage decorated for Fall. So without further ado, here is our Fall home tour sprinkled with Fall decorating tips. Let’s start in the foyer, shall we?
Neutral Fall Wreath using Natural Foliage
Shhh! I have a secret. This darling wreath I actually made for Christmas last year but it’s perfect for Autumn decor with the orange leaves and pomegranates.
They add to the warm seasonal tones but apparently a Christmas fruit. I had it on our front door for the holidays but love displaying it inside for Autumn with brass bells on our foyer closet door.
What month do you decorate for Fall?
You can start decorating for Fall inside your home in September. Wait until the weather gets a little cooler before decorating outside for Fall so the decor matches the outside foliage. That’s a great time to bring in a few outside stems for additional Autumnal hues in your interiors.
Our small single-story ranch-style home was remodeled into an open concept living space so turning around leads you right into the rest of the living-dining areas!
The first major update is a sofa table which is actually the IKEA Kallax that was in my daughter’s room being used as a space holder. Indeed it gives a definition between the living and dining rooms but I’m on the hunt for a new piece in Midcentury Modern or Hollywood Regency style. I know, I know….two completely different looks!
A pretty blue floral tablecloth covers the bookcase nicely and I had fun decorating it for Fall!
Neutral Fall Decor Ideas with Wheat, Pampas Grass, and Fronds Centerpieces
As I was out shopping for dried grasses I realized how much more cost-effective using wheat was for seasonal decor. I grabbed two bundles and carefully separated all of the stems to make a large arrangement and a medium one.
I already had three faux grass stems that I added to the larger arrangement. The texture is fabulous and displaying it in a chinoiserie vase and blue glass vase complimented our existing decor. It can stay out until Thanksgiving!
I really like how the wheat color matches our dining chairs and DIY cane cabinet with starfishes and shells!
Turning around you face my piano studio which is in the front of the house. I added one more vase of dried floral with brown fronds. Orange tones really pop against all of the jewel tones in our house! These colors work really well for Halloween decor too.
Curated Neutral Fall Tabletop Displays
Scented pinecones in a wood bowl we picked up in Costa Rica add to the seasonal display and as soon as my sinuses clear up, I’m sure I’ll enjoy the smell! A stack of books is often my first step when creating vignettes on flat surfaces.
Heading back to the “sofa table” is a cute brass acorn dish that has a mix of decorative pinecones, an antler, a faux air plant, and seashells.
I really don’t overthink Fall touches. I just add them into the existing decor.
However pumpkins and Halloween accessories, I can go a little overboard! But that has to wait for a couple of more weeks.
The throw pillows on the sofa and chairs get pulled from other rooms and the linen closet for free seasonal decorating and read as neutral Fall pillows since blue is a dominant color in our living dining room.
Earth Tones To Complement Neutral Fall Decor Ideas
One more neutral home decor idea is this Fall arrangement on my grandmother’s silver platter in the kitchen. A faux floral display in a mason jar with a terracotta pumpkin candle holder and DIY gilded mini pumpkins and gourds has a nice mix of rustic and fancy.
Terracotta and dried florals in warm tones are the perfect complements to neutral Fall decorating. I really had no other place to store the platter so I thought I should just go ahead and use it!
While we are looking at the kitchen, I’ll just mention it is the very last room in the house that I haven’t touched in the four years we’ve been here. So I’m hoping something will happen soon! A nice summer break was what I needed to be inspired to tackle another big project.
Metallic and White Pumpkins
Of course, nothing says Fall like pumpkins and they are my favorite white Fall decor item to use in a vignette.
When I first started blogging nine years ago I created new DIY pumpkins every year! Gilded, velvet, painted, pumpkin tree, marbled….. I finally gave it a rest and have plenty of pumpkins to use every year (and even have gotten rid of some). It is really fun to find new ways to decorate with them!
This year I opted to use my two large white pumpkins with some of the DIY gilded ones on my fireplace. A trio of wooden pumpkins I bought in Japan sits on the mantel.
I also used my favorite DIY-painted heirloom pumpkin in the corner of our living room. It is sitting on a glass cabinet that holds our collection of antique sake cups and Japanese pottery. The painting above it is a Texas artist that attended the church I grew up in but my grandpa found the art at a garage sale.
More of our Warm Cozy Fall Home Tour
And just for fun, a few more pictures of our Fall home to share!
I hope you enjoyed the tour and Fall decorating ideas! You can find a tutorial for each DIY pumpkin and Fall decor on this page.
Make sure to click on A Pretty Life in the Suburbs as she wraps up this week’s Fall home tours!
Here’s the lineup to enjoy all of the Fall inspiration for the season!
Monday, September 12
Tuesday, September 13
Wednesday, September 14
Thursday, September 15
Friday, September 16
- Be Inspired with Neutral Fall Decor Ideas in our Colorful Eclectic HomeNeutral Fall decor doesn’t have to be plain jane. Using natural elements, warm metallics, and eclectic embellishments can work in any decorating style from farmhouse decor to colorful maximalist design to create a cozy and intriguing Autumnal home. Welcome to our Fall home tour featuring neutral Fall decor ideas in our colorful-maximalist open concept living…
- Make a West Elm Inspired Dollar Tree Cake StandLove high-end decor but not the price tag? Make a West Elm copycat DIY dollar tree cake stand and enjoy modern decor for less. Howdy! I’m back in Texas doing wedding planning for my sister and spending precious last moments with my grandmother. I fell in love with a glossy black cake stand from West…
- Try a Dollar Store Fall Garland DIY with Silk Leaves and PaintTry this easy dollar store DIY painted Fall leaves garland for a chic and fun way to add seasonal decor to your home. Happy first day of Autumn friends!! Welcome to day 3 of the Fall Series. I’m sharing another easy and inexpensive Fall DIY that looks trendy and fun with painted leaves for a dollar…
- A Beautiful Colorful and Eclectic Home Tour for FallFind simple decorating ideas for Fall by repurposing what you have in this colorful and eclectic home tour with maximalist style. The first official day of Fall is just around the corner and 30+ bloggers are ready to inspire you with Fall Home Tours! A huge thanks to Marty from A Stroll Through Life for…
- How to Paint a Floral Pattern on Glass Vase with Acrylic PaintLearn how to paint a floral pattern on a dollar tree glass vase with acrylic paint to create seasonal or everyday decor on a budget! Do you ever see something in the store and think, “I can make that!” I love seeing painted floral patterns and designs on glass vases in stores and often want…